PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive: 2005 Mazda 3

Skyline_Addict
05-31-2005, 06:41 PM
An Unbiased Review By Skyline_Addict. :)

I was with my friend at the Mazda Dealership today, as I drove him to pick up his car. Decided to take a 3 for a test drive, and I am very very impressed with the car.

We got into a 3 with the GFX package (Sun Roof, 17 Inch Rims, etc.) which is definetely easy on the eyes, even though I have a personal preference to coupe design/layouts more than anything.
The interior was roomy, practical and aesthetically profficient - comfortable seats, good looking trim and a practically placed centre console. Everything seemed to be in the right places, all while looking very pleasing.

The 5-speed manual gearbox was easy to use and allows you to feel your shifts and engagement points to ensure precise, enjoyable driving. Gear transition was smooth as butter while acceleration was strong yet under control.

Handling through an independant wishbone suspension was crisp and responsive, without being too "whip-lashing" or loose. Acceleration through turns felt natural while turning and breaking was smooth, profficient and sturdy.

Strong performance did not sacrafice the feel and quietness of a v6 sedan - the engine’s balancer shaft rotates at twice the crankshaft speed to cancel noise and vibration and deliver smooth, quiet operation. The impressive 2260cc engine delivered a very satisfying 160hp@6500rpm and 150 lb. ft.@4500 rpm.

In essence the Mazda 3 offers competitive if not superior performance to it's competitors such as the base Acura RSX and Toyota Corolla XRS with no sacrifices to styling, convenience and practicality. More notably, the 3 has arguably the best bang for buck in it's class. You get a great car for what you pay for - who doesn't want that?

Skyline_Addict
beyond.ca :D

Skyline_Addict
05-31-2005, 07:02 PM
and feel free to leave any comments you have about the car or my review :).

pitwipe
05-31-2005, 07:06 PM
What is the sticker price?

mdeleon
05-31-2005, 07:16 PM
my cousin test drove one today as well...he feels exactly the same way you do

Skyline_Addict
05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
The model I test drove (The GT Trim) came to around $25,000 dollars with manual transmission (with the GFX and leather seat package). The 4AT comes at an extra $1000 for all trims and air-conditioning is only standard on the GT trim.

pitwipe
05-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Yep, that a nice car for the money. I've always been a fan of Mazda styling too. They always look classy.

?????
05-31-2005, 07:25 PM
:thumbsup:

Mazstyle
05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
An Unbiased Review By Skyline_Addict. :)

Strong performance did not sacrafice the feel and quietness of a v6 sedan - the engine's balancer shaft rotates....

When does the Mazda 3 come with a v6??

After reading numerous great reviews I decided to test drive one, and well being a mazda fanatic, it was the biggest dissapointment of my life....

Granted I test drove the 2.0l which has a sparse 148hp, so I didn't get to feel the insane 12 horsepower increase of the 2.3l.... no but seriously come on mazda a 2.3l piston engine producing 160 ponies?!?! by todays standards thats paltry at best.

I went to the dodge dealership right after to try out one of those "SRT-4's" and that car actually impressed me so I bought it on the spot, and it cost me about the same and is faster then any mazda car currently on the showroom floor....

Skyline_Addict
05-31-2005, 07:55 PM
^^ if you can read...i'm saying it has the feel and quietness of a v6 sedan...not that it is one.

A2VR6
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
I must say having driven both the auto and the 5 speed models of the GT, that the main selling point of the car is the way it handles. Also you get so many features for around 25k that ALOT of cars dont have (like rain sensor for example). I personally think it's a car that doesnt excel at anything particularly but instead does everything decently well. The only thing that I can say that I feel that the car needs is a bigger engine, but the 2.3 can hold it's own.

Skyline_Addict
05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
^^ exactly my feeling. what makes the 3 excel is that it is good, though not great, in every aspect. it's the variety and consistency of above-par specifications about the car which makes each individual aspect of it seem better.

AsianCaucasian
06-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
The only thing that I can say that I feel that the car needs is a bigger engine, but the 2.3 can hold it's own.

... it has a bigger engine than the other cars in its class, ie civic, corolla etc.

Skyline_Addict
06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
next test drive: STi

stay tuned :D

Xtrema
06-01-2005, 02:16 PM
3 got my attention but engine still remain the worst of the whole package. It's just not as refine as Honda/Toyota even tho it has some low end grunt (expected), there isn't any high end horse power (unexpected).

It's pretty quiet ride and handling isn't bad. But cabin is tight and only fit for 4 barely. The sedan's biggest downfall is the narrow opening of the trunk. Other than bags of groceies, don't expect anything to fit thru it.

I also tested the 6 4cyl back to back and pleasantly surprised that even tho it's slower (heavier car), the handling and ride is way better than the 3. Interior is also better layout and roomier. So I rather have a base 6 Sport over a loaded 3.

But still being a Honda/Nissan owner, I can't stand the Mazda engines. The only thing that's going for Mazda is exterior styling.

Aleks
06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
I drove one and I'd take the Base/Premium RSX over it any day. It's not a bad car it's just average at best.

AsianCaucasian
06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
3 got my attention but engine still remain the worst of the whole package. It's just not as refine as Honda/Toyota even tho it has some low end grunt (expected), there isn't any high end horse power (unexpected).

It's pretty quiet ride and handling isn't bad. But cabin is tight and only fit for 4 barely. The sedan's biggest downfall is the narrow opening of the trunk. Other than bags of groceies, don't expect anything to fit thru it.

I also tested the 6 4cyl back to back and pleasantly surprised that even tho it's slower (heavier car), the handling and ride is way better than the 3. Interior is also better layout and roomier. So I rather have a base 6 Sport over a loaded 3.

But still being a Honda/Nissan owner, I can't stand the Mazda engines. The only thing that's going for Mazda is exterior styling.

I fit 5 people in the car regularly... the handling of the car is in fact better than the 6. Hell, it's better than an RSX-S (according to my cousin it's due to the shitty stock tires on the S) and as for no high end horsepower??? It matches the Civic SIR's 160hp and is 10 less than the Corolla XRS's 170 but delivers far more torque than either of these.

lastprodigy
06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

I fit 5 people in the car regularly... the handling of the car is in fact better than the 6. Hell, it's better than an RSX-S (according to my cousin it's due to the shitty stock tires on the S) and as for no high end horsepower??? It matches the Civic SIR's 160hp and is 10 less than the Corolla XRS's 170 but delivers far more torque than either of these.

well your response is clearly that of someone who is defending their own car so it has to be taken with a couple grains of salt :rolleyes:

either way, its not all about numbers its also about feel and other things, granted some people preffer certain things mazda is not exactly at the level honda is at right now, granted their styling may be better but there are other htings to consider, i would also choose the base rsx for that reason as well as styling but thats subjective, but imo the rsx is much better put together.....having said all that i agree vvery much with all the other posters in this thread that say that the 3 is good at basically everything but not great at anythign particularly, the available features for the price make it an excellent value though....well have to see how they hold up as a along MP5 owners are had and are starting to have problems with their 02's
just my $0.02

Xtrema
06-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Also, I understand now why Honda is doing the 2 deck interior design on compacts. With the 3's center console column, my knee keep banging to the side. The 2 deck design allows you to have room for your right knee.

I still feel the RSX is smoother and a better complete package than the 3.

Nalgene
06-01-2005, 07:21 PM
my dad bought one in september, when it pretty much first came out. I love that car. He didnt buy the GT one but he bought a fully loaded "next model down" one. Just missing leather and upgraded engine.
Im curious to see how the Mazdaspeed3 works out. I like pretty much all of Mazdas line right now. They are putting out really nice veichles.

HPower
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I test drove the 2.3L. It was definitely a decent car, and it handled great, but it really didn't feel as powerful as I expected it would. It just didn't feel like 160 hp, and actually the Jetta TDI I owned at the time was much faster. I must mention that the jetta was upsolute chipped though, so that makes a big difference. But for the price it is definitely a decent car, with a nice design, especially the sedan.

Also mazda=ford now. (i think, am i right?)

Xtrema
06-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by HPower
Also mazda=ford now. (i think, am i right?)

The engine is ford sourced and Mazda tuned and it doesn't feel like 160HP.

A2VR6
06-01-2005, 10:40 PM

... it has a bigger engine than the other cars in its class, ie civic, corolla etc.

True, but all those other cars I feel are underpowered as well and with the new civc coming out this fall, I doubt it'll have as much as an advantage as it once did. The mazdaspeed 3 should be very good tho, but we'll have to wait and see for that one.

Nix87
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The engine is ford sourced and Mazda tuned and it doesn't feel like 160HP.

The engine makes pretty good power. The car is one hell of a lard ass tho.

Skyline_Addict
06-02-2005, 12:27 AM
i should be testing an EP-3 Civic SiR tommorow! stay tuned!

lam-boy
06-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
next test drive: STi

stay tuned :D

haha i think you need to deposit money to test drive the beast.

Skyline_Addict
06-02-2005, 01:59 AM
^^ that can be arranged :)

lam-boy
06-02-2005, 02:05 AM
around 1000 dollars i've heard haha.

Skyline_Addict
06-02-2005, 02:08 AM
^^ pffft, that's like getting a glass of tap water for me ;)

AsianCaucasian
06-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Nix87

The engine makes pretty good power. The car is one hell of a lard ass tho.

... It's lighter than a RSX-S.

lastprodigy
06-02-2005, 11:21 AM

... It's lighter than a RSX-S.

and has 50less hp whats your point?:rolleyes:

AsianCaucasian
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

and has 50less hp whats your point?:rolleyes:

I don't see how it's a lardass? If you want to go to a comparable car, an RSX weighs a little more, has 160hp at the same RPMs and makes less torque and I would hardly call the RSX a lardass.

heavyD
06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
I've driven a four door GT also and my review is less flattering. As with the others comments the engine feels more like 145HP than the claimed 160. The shifter is okay but still hase the same rubbery feel of that the Protege 5 had. The interior styling is probably best in class but the materials and construction are below average to average at best (not even remotely close to Honda or Toyota quality). Exterior styling is very nice until you get to the nose or beak which I think is ugly. Handling is a strong point and maybe best in class but this only makes the engine feel worse as the car feels very sporty but underpowered. You get alot of car for the money in an attractive package but it's more of a middle of class car as the only thing is excells at is handling. Also be very aware that Mazda reliability has been bottom of the class in the last fe years as I can attest.

To the guy that said it was better than a base RSX. Have you driven a base RSX? I completely disagree on that as the RSX is has a higher quality feel.

?????
06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
I'll have to agree the car feels underpowered its only putting max 140hp to the wheels stock for the 2.3. I don't know what the feeling is but when i'm driving my gfs corolla the acceleration definatly feels liek it has more punch then the 3 but when you look at the speedo its not going that fast as for the 3 you get the heavy feel but when you look at the speedo its going pretty fast.
But i'm gonna have to disagree with the interior quality as i feel its better then a toyota or honda in its class.
As for handling i think everyone here agrees that its incredible. But we also have very shitty stock tries. Goodyear RSA's :thumbsdow