PDA

View Full Version : Painting Laptops

MidnightDreamer
05-31-2005, 06:58 PM
Has anyone ever had thier laptop shell painted? Is it possible, within reason to have this done?

AllGoNoShow
05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes its possible

1. Itvoids your warrenty if u take it apart, coloring it without taking apart might aswell
2. You can very easily ruin monitor cables and other pieces inside the laptop as they are much smaller and much more fragile.
3. You bust it there isnt as many replacement parts for it like a cpu, for example, you scratch a side window, meh, throw more plexiglass on, but on a laptop if u bust a LCD crystal trying to get the casing off the LCD, your fucked for a new LCD, which is more then the laptop most of the time, unless its brand new.

Really, unless u got a dead one you and test on, or really want it painted, it isn't worth it.

boy1_
05-31-2005, 07:29 PM
I found this after I got my laptop. I myself have not painted a laptop, but past experience in painting with spray bombs is that you need to take your time and be very anal about it.

Painting Laptop (http://spiike.shadowdragon.net/laptop%20painting.htm)

Davetronz
05-31-2005, 07:53 PM
Hahahahaha, I have seen a few failures in my days as a laptop tech... HAHAHAHA...

I would reccomend for you to NOT pull apart your laptop and NOT paint it... But hey, thats just me...

hampstor
05-31-2005, 09:16 PM
it's a lot of work... and very easy to do a lot of damage to the notebook.

if someone knows the guy who does voodoo's cases can you let midnightdreamer know? I'm aware that he's in Calgary and he charges a very reasonable price to get work done. It might save him from damaging his notebook!

good luck!

MidnightDreamer
05-31-2005, 10:47 PM
wow... The blue looks pretty damn nice... but I am afraid of attempting anything like that myself... Who is this voodoo case guy? About how much would he charge to have a laptop painted?

While we're on the same topic, can you guys share some links of laptop modding sites to maybe give me a few ideas of what I could do to my notebook? Thx.

GucciBoy
06-01-2005, 01:39 AM
^ ya i know eh! damn

Too bad the manu companies like toshiba, hp dont offer a service like this for $. i would definitely pay money to have a sweet paint job dont on mine. Saphire crystal or something wow. :drool:

Chiggles
06-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Don't take it apart if I were you. All the little hinges that the internals rest on are so minute that the slightest degree of misalignment can cause one mechanical/electronic failure or another. If you are going to paint your shell, leave it in one piece but be sure to tape off any orifices securely. If you still have that foam sheet that covers the keyboard when you first bought the laptop, use that to keep the board and the edges around the viewing side of the screen from getting any overspray. Use a fine grit sand paper lightly over the shell if you feel like you want to improve the contact surface and just make sure you use very thin, light coats over and over again. I've never done this to a laptop before, but I've helped a buddy do his Xbox, PS2, and Dreamcast all in a chrome blue and it turned out pretty well. The buttons and other grooves around any moving parts had to remain the stock color just so I could tape off a proper seal, but it gives it a nice rimmed look around the edges. If you really want to clean the edges off and make them consistent with the rest of the body or just to give off an accent, go to a crafts store and pick up tiny brushes and find some matching paint from a model shop like Tamiya paints or something like that.

It's generally a good idea to keep that foam sheet even just for when you store your laptop when you're not using it cuz the oils on your fingers and hands end up eating away at the paint on the board and touchpad over time. Eventually, paint starts to transfer over from the board to the screen when you close the lid and it's a bitch to get off.

AllGoNoShow
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Then you have a POS laptop if u ask me. I'm still using a p1 120mhz laptop from I think it was 91 or 92, maybe even older, I forget now, that has no paint transfer.

GucciBoy
06-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Chiggles
If you really want to clean the edges off and make them consistent with the rest of the body or just to give off an accent, go to a crafts store and pick up tiny brushes and find some matching paint from a model shop like Tamiya paints or something like that.

Would this work for covering up a couple scratches/paint scuffs? Its silver colour, the only thing is finding the right shade of silver. Im just trying to think of any hobbie shops downtown hmm

Chiggles
06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow
Then you have a POS laptop if u ask me. I'm still using a p1 120mhz laptop from I think it was 91 or 92, maybe even older, I forget now, that has no paint transfer.

*I* don't have a POS laptop. It's just that I see that happen a lot with laptops that have been checked in for repair where I work. I'm surprised you're still getting by on a P1. Reminds me of a couple days ago when this POS 286 running Windows 3.11 came in for work. :nut:

Originally posted by GucciBoy

Would this work for covering up a couple scratches/paint scuffs? Its silver colour, the only thing is finding the right shade of silver. Im just trying to think of any hobbie shops downtown hmm

I don't see why not, but yeah finding a matching shade might be a little tough if you're just doing touch-up work rather than a re-paint. As far as finding shops go, pick up the yellow pages and thumb through hobby and crafts or something like that.

civicrider
06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
shit if i was going to go though all that work i wouldnt be using shitty spray bombs, it will chip so easy. id use actual car paint and clear so it will last and wont look like crap in a month.
just me 0.02 cents

MidnightDreamer
06-05-2005, 08:54 PM
So where can I contact this Voodoo case guy? Are there any businesses in Calgary that specialize in services like this?

boy1_
06-11-2005, 10:06 PM
This specific thread is for modding dell laptops of various sorts, its LONG. But the site is pretty good for laptop stuff in general. http://www.notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=18160
And I've seen a service that you send your electronics (laptops, ipods etc.) to and they professionally paint them and send them back. But I can't find the site at the moment, if I do find it I'll post it.

soupey
06-11-2005, 11:14 PM
ive done it b4, gotta be VERY careful, only do it if uve already voided ur warranty or dont care about the warranty...that and u SHOULD have some experience taking laptops apart, there are LOTS of screws involved and there is a LARGE chance that u will fuck up, so only do it if ur sure of what your doing, i took apart my ultraportable toshiba portege and painted the lid gloss black, looked awesome, it can be done, and it can look great, but there is alot of risks involved, only do it if you think ur good with small parts and try to remember EVERYTHING when your taking it apart, last thing u need is to forget a screw or have a loose screw rolling around jus waiting to short something...good luck.

Chiggles
06-26-2005, 05:40 AM
civicrider - love your new sig! :thumbsup: :poosie: :drool: