PDA

View Full Version : NetZero Internet

hash
06-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey,

I was considering getting NetZero dialup internet for some light internet use at my place. The $9.95 rate seems pretty competitive.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used this service and whether its *decent* or not. Obviously I'm not expecting spectacular speeds, but is it comparable to the dial-up services offered by Telus and Sprint in terms of speed? Or do the high numbers of free users (who only get a max of 10 hours a month) clog it up too much?

I'm basically going to be using it for some basic surfing, email, and IM.

Also, is the "Hi-speed" service worth the 5 extra bucks?.. apparently it just uses some sort of download accelerator for images and .html files.

Thanks!

P.S. Know of any other good dial-up providers in Edmonton?

Thaco
06-01-2005, 05:29 PM
i'd go with high speed lite, its only 5 bucks a month more, and its the same basics as dsl so you dont tie up your phone line and its unlimited time per month. (and its not just glorified dial up, its downgraded DSL.)

Weapon_R
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Pay a U of C student 50 bucks and use their unlimited internet account instead :D

dj_rice
06-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Pay a U of C student 50 bucks and use their unlimited internet account instead :D

Hahaha thats what I use to use til my buddy graduated lol..

My cousin lives in E-town and he has DSL for $20 but not too sure of the company...if ur interested in that I can get the info

Thaco
06-01-2005, 06:05 PM
http://www.get3web.com/highspeed/

hash
06-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Well... I wanted to stay away from DSL as this won't be for too long, so I didn't want to invest in a DSL modem, etc.. plus their rates seem more like 40 bucks a month. And I have to sign a 1 year contract (I'm only going to be there 8 months of the year)

Also, I can't use the UCalgary service as this is for a place in Edmonton. I used to use the UofA's free/cheap service, but it's being discontinued in a couple of months.

dj_rice: it would be great if you could get me the name of the company. If its that cheap, might as well check it out.

Thnx.