PDA

View Full Version : only gettin 4 psi??? boost leak? vac leak?

|SpEncaA|
06-01-2005, 05:36 PM
my wastegate is set at 5.8 and i think i might have a boost leak or somthing. My boost gauge is connected to the vac seen by the fpr should it be there?..or at the throttle body. anddd if its a boost leak is there any way to test for a boost leak? anything would help. thanx guys

Audio_Rookie
06-01-2005, 05:41 PM
pull the lvac line to the wastegate and see if that number rockets up. usually has to deal with wastegate. If there was a sever boost leak through your piping you should be able to hear it.....

connected to vac seen by fpr.....yes that line should give you accurate boost readings. If it is like my daytona the fuel pressure will rise/fall based on vac/boost that is fed to it through that vac line, so it better be accurate.....

djfob
06-01-2005, 07:10 PM
go through all your clamps on the IC piping

EFHatch
06-01-2005, 07:15 PM
check and recheck your couplers

it's amazing what a small leak can do to your boost :(

90awdwagovan.
06-01-2005, 07:35 PM
lol.... 5.8 is what your wastegate sees.......... but your boost guage tapped at the intake manifold sees 4..... sounds like you got a pressure drop across the intercooler and chargepiping.... combine that with the inaccuracies of your boost gauge and wastegate and thats where your 1.8 psi went....

90awdwagovan.
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by EFHatch
check and recheck your couplers

it's amazing what a small leak can do to your boost :(

actually not really, I had a 1' diamter hole in my charge piping as was still able to boost over 5 psi...

|SpEncaA|
06-01-2005, 11:05 PM
yah i gotta check the couplers , im almost positive that it isnt the spot where i tapped, cause my emanage sees 3.75 psi aswell, but i have no idea ...ima check over the couplers, and ima try that wastegate thing also. ill get back to you guys, thanx for the feedback

blizare
06-02-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 90awdwagovan.
lol.... 5.8 is what your wastegate sees.......... but your boost guage tapped at the intake manifold sees 4..... sounds like you got a pressure drop across the intercooler and chargepiping.... combine that with the inaccuracies of your boost gauge and wastegate and thats where your 1.8 psi went....

:werd:

|SpEncaA|
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
hey guys, i took the vac line off the wastegate and it rocketed up to 7 psi, haha tons of power woooo LOL...but yah i gotta check for a leak coming from around my wastegate/turbo area the bottom side of my wastegate bolts are soooo hard to get at and i think thats the spot where its leaking, u think a small little leak in the wastegate would cause 2 psi loss, most likely hey, i duno im gonna try my hardest to tighten these bolts and ill get back to you guys asap, just got my exhaust done sounds goood 2, but ughhh sumthing is ratteling haha anyways thanx guys

mikhro
03-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Im kind of having the same problem, I have a 98 Eclipse GST and the boost wont go higher then 3 to 4 pounds, I checked for leaks, and nothing, I dont get whats wrong

Go4Long
03-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by mikhro
Im kind of having the same problem, I have a 98 Eclipse GST and the boost wont go higher then 3 to 4 pounds, I checked for leaks, and nothing, I dont get whats wrong

I would check the upper/lower intercooler pipes...I used to blow my upper IC pipe off on a regular basis...if you are still running the stock 2G MAS sensor it will run like crap if it's around there...check all your vacum lines for cracks, that would be a good start...

TEAMFaint
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Are you sure that your wastegate is opening and closing all the way? If it does not fully close you will definately lose some PSI. Happened to a guy I know who turbo'd his 5SFE in his Camry, he was only producing 4 PSI and his wastegate wasnt closing all the way. He got this fixed now he's boostin an efficient 7-8 PSI.