PDA

View Full Version : Buell salvage

wjjeeper
06-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I'm looking to pick up a Buell bike as cheap as possible (damaged bike)
Here's what will fit the bill:
YEAR 1990-2002

ALL MODELS RS1200, RSS1200 , S-1, S2, S3, X-1, CYCLONE

If anyone knows of one around or knows of a good bike wrecking yard that would have one please let me know via pm.

djstefan
06-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

BlueGoblin
06-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I really think that it would likely be a false economy to get a Buell at a wreckers.

Buells tend to be machines that are more than a little uncommon and have parts that are expensive - they would likely be parted out very very quickly if they were written off and would be worth far more as parts than a rebuildable machine. Moreover, they are a relatively expensive and fairly desireable bike. If they end up as salvage, guaranteed that somebody who knows what they are doing has looked at it long and hard and said 'no way - this thing is fucked'.

Unless you have the knowledge and tools to safely rebuild a frame - jigs, welder, etc, a wrecker is probably not the way to go for you.

As an alternative, perhaps try places where they might be a little more common and therefore cheaper as a used ride, like California. It would involve a roadtrip and some additional expense (travel plus GST at the border). It sounds like you may be willing to risk a little to save some cash, in which case Ebay might be worth a shot too.

Otherwise, I would suggest being patient and saving for the right bike to come along. It would probably be a lot cheaper in the end. Good luck with your search.

wjjeeper
06-06-2005, 07:42 AM
What I'm after is the frontend, motor/trans, and rear tire.
So far I've found an entire bike that has low mileage/ no accidents for $5000. Might be worth looking into.