PDA

View Full Version : question about wheel and city of calgary

voodoo
06-02-2005, 10:16 PM
well this afternoon on my way home from work i hit a pot hole (couldnt see it because it was full with water). on elbow drive south bound (right hand lane) just north of 55th ave....

this is what it did to my wheelll
http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/Dsc01115.jpg

http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/Dsc01114.jpg

this is tte pot hole

bitches closed the lane now and put up roadblocks....

where the fuck was that in rush hour

http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/100_pothole2.JPG
http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/100_pothole.JPG
http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/100_0572.JPG
http://www.gcsrts.com/srts-admin/pictures/100_0573.JPG

my question is, do i have a chance at making the city pay for my
a) new wheel
b) repair bill of current wheel

has this ever happened to anyone else?

trikypenguin
06-02-2005, 10:24 PM
that fuckin sucks dude, and i dunno about makin the city, you'd have to find someone with more legal knowledge then me :nut:

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Not to be an ass man but that's what happens to cheap rims. I believe it's pretty much drive at your own risk on city streets.

lilboykorea
06-02-2005, 10:41 PM
^
so would an expensive set of rims survived that? :dunno:

lastprodigy
06-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Not to be an ass man but that's what happens to cheap rims. I believe it's pretty much drive at your own risk on city streets.

way to add insilt to injury, i think the point is the pothole not the cheap wheel

sucsk though dude, no harm in trying to tell the city but i dont know if anything will come of it

JCX
06-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by lilboykorea
^
so would an expensive set of rims survived that? :dunno:

Exactly what I was thinking.

A more expensive set of rims would be busted up to some degree as well. Look at the damn pothole.

Edit : PS Voodoo, I'd love to lend you a wheel but I need the car on the weekend. :cry:

88CRX
06-02-2005, 10:47 PM
wow... thats a huge bend :eek:

whatever happens be sure to post up results

AllGoNoShow
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Call them and try, if they say no then you call someone above whoever u just called and tell them for the damages they caused there will be a bill on there desk in a weeks time for a new wheel or repair of the current wheel, or a courtdate if they refuse, take you choosing, then do whatever they agree to. Thats what I would do.

AllGoNoShow
06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Makes me wanna go fight it for you but it isnt my car sorry man :D

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy

way to add insilt to injury, i think the point is the pothole not the cheap wheel

sucsk though dude, no harm in trying to tell the city but i dont know if anything will come of it
Im not trying to sound like an ass, its happened to me in the past. I used to have a cheap ass pair of Konig tantrums. I bent them like you would not believe. I high quality forged wheel is super strong. Anyways it's too bad voodoo had to go through that.

Kaos
06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Just curious as how fast you were going? and the size of your rim?

CalgarySupra
06-03-2005, 02:54 AM
there are many factors here to be considered. it has nothing do if they were "cheap" rims. Expensive rims can break apart like paper if they were not made and designed by real qualified engineers and passed safety tests (many aftermarket rim companies dont even do any of this)

the city could be at fault of they neglected to warn about the safety hazards or problems.

if calgary roads division left a big hole in the road open and they knew about it and failed to put up signs , and someone fell in there then there would be some legal recourse.

but also, "a lot" of aftermarket rims are not as safe as tradtional factory rims. think of if your car had those factory steel rims (all steel, no spokes no grooves no "cool" design") would this would of happened?

but i do agree that calgary roads are way too bumpy, and bumps are unsafe.

look it at the ramp for barlow trail when heading deerfoot south.

look at memorial when going east crossing from over deerfoot to almost where the barlow exit is (very very bad, and the speed limit is 80km/h)

look at maclead trail infront of city hall how bad it is.

pot holes and groves from cars make it very dangerous and at to more wear and tear.

ricosuave
06-03-2005, 08:28 AM
how fast were you going, and why didnt you try and manuever around it? thats a hell of a bump

TypeS
06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
dude he said it was filled with water....it would have looked like any other puddle. I think the fact they ended up barricading it is enough to say it was unsafe and they are at fault.

USED
06-03-2005, 09:14 AM
last year a friend of mine had blown her tire due to a pothole that she hit, and the city of calgary paid her. give them a call find out.

joegrang
06-03-2005, 11:10 AM
Sorry just to put things in perspective... Calgary actually has very nice roads... if you don't beleive me spend a weekend up in Edmonton or vancouver... I had my 300 in edmonton for 9 months drove about 10 kms a week and when I rebalanced the tires in the end they were all totally thrown off... I think each wheel was off by 2 grams or something like that.. but good luck with getting the City to pay for your wheel repair:thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Yah Winnipeg is bad aswell, but that doesn't defeat the purpose of hazard signs on the roads.

CalgarySupra I think those ADRs are actually the factory rims on the SRT-4s, I may be wrong but I've seen one on the lot with ADR's on them.

Depending on speed and how deep that hole was, I have seen steel rims come into the shop fucked worse then his, so steel or aftermarket, they will bend.

frostyda9
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Shitty deal. Elbow between 58th Ave and Sifton Blvd is a terrible road. Good luck :thumbsup: I hope the city pays for a new wheel.

JCX
06-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

CalgarySupra I think those ADRs are actually the factory rims on the SRT-4s, I may be wrong but I've seen one on the lot with ADR's on them.

Depending on speed and how deep that hole was, I have seen steel rims come into the shop fucked worse then his, so steel or aftermarket, they will bend.

Those are not factory rims.

Originally posted by Ricosuave

how fast were you going, and why didnt you try and manuever around it? thats a hell of a bump

Reading comprehension > yuo.

voodoo
06-03-2005, 09:28 PM
i was doing about 50-55km it was raining lightly and the hole was full of water........

i saw it at the last second but there was a car next to me, so i couldnt swerve...

i called the city and the woman knew exactly what pothole i was talking about. aparently numerous people called, hence y they put up the barricade.

they are gonna get incontact with me on monday...

As for the wheel. im pretty sure its not fixable...

lilboykorea
06-03-2005, 11:01 PM
looks like its fixable to me, ive seen worse bike rims come back to life

good luck

88CRX
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lilboykorea
looks like its fixable to me, ive seen worse bike rims come back to life

good luck

probably eaesier and cheaper to just buy a new one straight up

voodoo
06-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

probably eaesier and cheaper to just buy a new one straight up
cheapest ive found is $250

im taking it to alberta wheel repair tomorrow

AllGoNoShow
06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
We've had worse come into the shop and leave repaired so it could still be fixable. Hopefully they will fix it for you.

2002civic
06-04-2005, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by voodoo

cheapest ive found is $250

im taking it to alberta wheel repair tomorrow
just so you know they are closed on weekends

Weapon_R
06-04-2005, 01:18 AM
That wheel is VERY fixable. In fact, when you do go to AWR, you'll see wheels that look like shit come out looking new again.

Supa Dexta
06-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I have read stories here and there, about people getting wheels fixed in some cities.. Your best bet it to call explain what happened and tell them you expect this issue will be taking care of quickly... Isee there are signs there in the pics, but not at the time I assume (or you would have hit them too?) If there was no signage and they start to tell you they aren't covering it, go off on them about how if you had your kids in the car when that took place and went out of control they'd be looking at a much higher bill, all you expect out of this is one rim, consider themselves lucky....

I almost FELL in a hole last fall, they had cut out the edge, on the onramp to 16th ave west, right be macmahon... It must have been 3-4ft long and 10inches wide, that matched with the foot or so depth, it would have ate my car, but I seen in at the last second and whipped 'er left.. The next day I drove by they had signs all over it, but that day before was a hell of a suprise right before sunrise.... :eek:

ecstasy_civic
06-04-2005, 10:22 AM
CLiVE wrecked a rim in a pothole 2 yrs ago or so, and the city paid to get it fixed. He just sent in all the info and bill and after talking to a few people it was fixed.

That was an 18" Tantrum.

Looked almost like yours(damage)

Kaos
06-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by joegrang
Sorry just to put things in perspective... Calgary actually has very nice roads... if you don't beleive me spend a weekend up in Edmonton or vancouver

I would believe Edmonton has bad streets but Vancouver? :dunno:
Vancouver has one of the smoothest roads in all of Canada.
They barely get any snow and they dont have huge ass tractors scraping the shit out of pavement.

ecstasy_civic
06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Kaos

I would believe Edmonton has bad streets but Vancouver? :dunno:
Vancouver has one of the smoothest roads in all of Canada.
They barely get any snow and they dont have huge ass tractors scraping the shit out of pavement.

Im gonna have to disagree with you there,
They have BRUTAL roads.
I hate driving there because everything is so uneven.