PDA

View Full Version : Power Engineers????

rbau493
06-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Im looking for some help from anyone in or that knows about power engineering.

Next year I plan on going to school at either at NAIT in their power engineering tech course or Keyano's power engineering co-op course. Which school would be a better choice? I plan on working in Ft. Mac if that changes anything.

Are power engineers in demand and will they be in the future?

Any pertanent information would be great.

Thanks in advance.

crach
06-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Power Engineer' are in demand and will be in the future as long as people still use electicity, oil and gas. If you want to work in Fort mac. you can make $100,000 base wage with Suncor with A 3Rd class steam ticket

Ajay
06-03-2005, 03:09 AM
I have a friend who's a Power Engineer. He originally went to Grande Prairie Regional College for Comp Sci, then switched to Electrical Engineering, then ended up switching to Power Engineering because it interested him more.

He had a job in Fox Creek for the last three years working at a gas plant there making some pretty good coin. His first year he made well over $60K and now he's working for Encana near Grande Prairie pulling in close to $100K. Not bad for a 23 year old dude.

crach
06-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Plus most the workers in this job are baby boomers so they will be retireing in 3-5 yrs. So there will be a higher demand right away.. Same thing $80,000-100,000 @ age of 24

TrevorK
06-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Remember that a power engineer is typically shift work (3 on 4 off, 4 on 3 off) and can be a strain on your family.

That - and most of the high paying jobs are out of the city (As posters in this thread are stating)

Super_Geo
06-03-2005, 01:43 PM
How does a power engineer differ from an electrical engineer? Is it a difficult course? I've never even heard of this field before??

USED
06-03-2005, 01:51 PM
a power engineer is a glorified way of saying "operator"

ricosuave
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by USED

you sir, are an idiot.

USED
06-03-2005, 02:57 PM
seeing as how i work for a major oil company, i'm pretty sure this is true

every power engineer that i know and work with, is an operator. the only power engineers that do not work in operations are the ones that have the 2nd and 1st class tickets. :rolleyes:

rip
06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by USED

^^^^agreed

heavyD
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave

you sir, are an idiot.

He's actually correct in that operators at gas plants require a power engineering diploma and a steam ticket.

I did the 2 year power engineering course in 1992 and got my 3rd class steam ticket and part A of my 2nd. In the early 90's there wasn't an abundance of jobs. I got offers to work for imperial oil in Cold Lake as well as AMOCO Fox Creek but I've been to both places and Fox Creek is a dump and Cold Lake is a military town in no-man's land.

I ended up going back to SAIT and getting my Industrial Instrumentation Diploma and have been working in the industry ever since and in Calgary which is where I wanted to be.

The big money is up North but I live for today, not tomorrow and I didn't want to go back to small town life.

If you have no problems living in Fort Mac you shouldn't have any problems finding work and the money should be good also. The SAIT course was excellent but I can't comment on NAIT.

USED
06-03-2005, 03:25 PM
IMO Ft. Mac is overated. The only way that you can make good money is by having your living expenses paid for. Operators make good money, but they also work tons of OT to make that money. If you are willing to work shift work and work lots of extra OT, you can make a killing.

rbau493
07-15-2005, 01:21 AM
Sorry for the late reply (been in Gagetown) but thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Another question, I see a few of you have said "that power eng. is a glorified operator". Now Keyano offers 2 courses that seem similar, Power Eng. and Process Operator, is this what you guys are referring to in terms of "glorified operator"? Both courses you get your 4th class in the first year, power eng 2nd year you get 3rd class and process operator 2nd year you do process operations. Is there much difference between these 2 positions (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Also, where do these 2 different positions usually work? (ie. in a plant all day, travelling from rig to rig, office etc ( I am assuming they work in the plants))

Any input on which would be the best career choice?

broken_legs
07-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by rbau493
Sorry for the late reply (been in Gagetown) but thanks for the info guys, very helpful.

Another question, I see a few of you have said "that power eng. is a glorified operator". Now Keyano offers 2 courses that seem similar, Power Eng. and Process Operator, is this what you guys are referring to in terms of "glorified operator"? Both courses you get your 4th class in the first year, power eng 2nd year you get 3rd class and process operator 2nd year you do process operations. Is there much difference between these 2 positions (sorry if this is a stupid question).

Also, where do these 2 different positions usually work? (ie. in a plant all day, travelling from rig to rig, office etc ( I am assuming they work in the plants))

Any input on which would be the best career choice?

take electrical engineering

then you can do other things other than just be an 'operator'

most oil companies will hire you into a 6 figure job with any kind of technical degree or diploma

that beign said I'd pick one that you can fall intoa nice cozy desk job with after a year or two of field work

rbau493
07-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info broken, but I am pretty much set on these two choices. Besides I dont think I could work in a office all day.

broken_legs
07-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by rbau493
Besides I dont think I could work in a office all day.

Wait till youve been in the field for a few years
;)

rbau493
07-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Wait till youve been in the field for a few years
;)

I did construction for almost 7 years and I am currently in the military (infantry) for the past 6 years. When I am in the office at work I cant stand being in there for more than a half hour :nut: I walk out and find something to do.

IggyB
07-16-2005, 09:17 PM
I took Industrial Instrumentation at SAIT many moons ago. After 2 years of that course we were qualified to write for the 4th class ticket. I got the 4th class at that time and never worked as an operator. Instrumentation all the way.

After being outside in the crappy weather for a few years, it's nice to sit in an office w3atching the screen playing with the mouse.

As you get closer to the 1st class, you will do nothing but sit in the control room and touch the screen.