PDA

View Full Version : RIP Carerra GT and Driver/Passenger

/////AMG
06-03-2005, 05:01 AM
I just don't know wtf to say.. :cry: :thumbsdow

http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9314&view=findpost&p=104689

benoir
06-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Ouch. Like one guy said, the cockpit seems fairly intact - though the rest is fairly screwed - crazy they died. Wonder if they were kitted up properly :dunno:

Xtrema
06-03-2005, 06:53 AM
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html#

RIP

Porsche should train these people to drive before handing over the keys for one.

ACX
06-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Sad but such is life. COuld happen in any car.

thinmyster
06-03-2005, 07:28 AM
what the hell is the problem with these cars where everyone is wrecking it?

Xtrema
06-03-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by thinmyster
what the hell is the problem with these cars where everyone is wrecking it?

Even trained race car driver have a tough time handling the GT. Average joe with cash to blow usually doesn't even qualify to drive one to start with.

kevie88
06-03-2005, 07:47 AM
It's a car, and cars get crashed... sometimes people die when the car crashes.

BumpinTalon
06-03-2005, 07:49 AM
wow, are all those parts from the porsche??
porsche definitely should have made it so you need a racing license to drive one of those.

benyl
06-03-2005, 07:51 AM
:repost: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89794

rage2
06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
This was a FOC event:

... Ferrari entered the track near the end of the main straight a way (right before the spot where they place the "K" barriers for the chicane) Carrera GT owner Ben Keaton.."twitched" and flipped the car up on the K barrier. From what we gather: The GT owner took a second lap after the parade lap (he wasnt supposed too)

Rumor: there was no pit marshall letting cars out onto the track at the time of the accident.

We had multiple customers running the Ferrari event. Phone calls to the shop started flooding in.

I *think* I have pics of the car prior to accident.

Sorry to hear about this. We knew the guy.

Originally posted by Brad Roberts
The person driving the vehicle who was behind him (Ferrari Stradale) just called us and told us what happened from his view. He was first on the scene. He said the GT past him at over 150mph as they eased onto the straigh a way and was traveling close to 165mph when he saw the car swerve. He got his car stopped and was first on the scene. One person was DOA and the other (driver) passed away in the helicopter enroute to the hospital.

What happened with the pit marshall:

Marshall saw the GT coming and gave the Ferrari owner the "GO" Ferrari guy hesitated.. looked back at the track.. passenger was shouting "GO".. then marshall says "STOP" and the Ferrari guy takes off.

Now: If the GT was moving at 165+ and the pit marshall wasnt familiar with cars generating that kind of speed (I'm doubting he was a CA Speedway employee) I could easily see how a split second hesitation on behalf of the driver could really mess things up.

This sucks. The passenger had just jumped into the GT. He was thinking about buying one and wanted a hot lap in it. Several of the FOC members are on their way to his house to "inform" his wife.
Lots of "mistakes" that caused this accident. Ferrari driver hesitating before entering the track, pit marshall (possibly), CGT driver doing 165+mph on a parade lap... could've been avoided so easily :(.

edit - finished reading the entire thread elsewhere, and it looks like it was a run group. The Ferrari did enter the track incorrectly, CGT swerved to avoid the ferrari, twitched, and hit the barrier sideways hard.

rmk
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
:( :( the fella who owned the car was named Ben and posted on a couple of other forums that i read every day. he was very knowledgeable, had a good sense of humor and was a stand-up person... the passenger was a prospective owner, going to buy one and wanted a demo..... he leaves behind a wife and a little girl......... very, very sad :cry:

i know i'm going to take it easy while driving for awhile.... please think before doing anything stupid... life is too precious and can be gone in an instant.

RIP

962 kid
06-03-2005, 08:27 AM
RIP Ben in LJ :( :(

Redlyne_mr2
06-03-2005, 08:28 AM
OMG I hope thats not the same Ben Im thinking of!!

EDIT: Dammit it is Ben from Rennlist, I can't believe it. He was the ultimate CGT guy. If there ever was a DIY Carrera GT guy then he was it, knew so much about those cars and porsches in general. So sad to hear about it.

rage2
06-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Yep it was Ben. Forums and track whore just like the rest of us.

A2VR6
06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Wow, what a sad story, I feel really bad for the driver of the Ferrari too, it appears the Ferrari was just following directions he must feel horrible! :(

RickDaTuner
06-03-2005, 09:29 AM
I suppose these could be things to keep in mind when we go out to race city and have our trak days, even though most of our cars wont reach those speeds on the straight, it does give a good warning as to what can go wrong..

RIP

rmk
06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
I suppose these could be things to keep in mind when we go out to race city and have our trak days, even though most of our cars wont reach those speeds on the straight, it does give a good warning as to what can go wrong..

dibs engine:dunno:

was that in bad taste?:dunno:

RIP

yes, it was.

Mad$ella
06-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

RIP

Porsche should train these people to drive before handing over the keys for one.

:werd: R.I.P.

streetarab
06-03-2005, 12:21 PM
The men's deaths were the fourth and fifth fatalities at the speedway since it opened in 1997.
5 deaths in a such a short amount of time?

rage2
06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by streetarab
5 deaths in a such a short amount of time?
It's a super speedway, lots of room to get lots of speed. Greg Moore died there during the Indycar race in '99. That was a horrific crash to watch on live TV.

BumpinTalon
06-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's a super speedway, lots of room to get lots of speed. Greg Moore died there during the Indycar race in '99. That was a horrific crash to watch on live TV.

I second that.. the whole room was stunned into silence.

EK 2.0
06-03-2005, 02:24 PM
RIP...it's always sad to hear when an enthusiast dies doing the one thing they love most...

BerserkerCatSplat
06-03-2005, 02:32 PM
RIP, at least he died racing. There are a lot worse ways to go.

iceburns288
06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134977830#post134977830

That's the worst coincidence I've ever seen, so terrible to happen to a guy as cool as him too.:cry: RIP mate...

DannyO
06-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

RIP

I agree, I know in england and I think some other euro countrys, you have to own a 911 before you can get a 911 turbo, and so I guess it would be the same to get a CGT, also one thing I think the big sport teams here should do which is what is done in football in england and aswell I think some other countrys is, becuase your a big sport star with alot of money, no doubt you will buy a fast ass car, so the teams over there pay for them to get trained up on how to handle a VERY sporty car, so when they go out to buy some crazy car, they will have some good knowledge of how to handle it.

I think all countries should make a new class for these type of cars, which would need a special licence, like a Class X, and to get it you need to take some very advanced driving courses.

Feel sorry for both drivers, and even though this might sound wrong and they both died WAY to early (and worse, had families) atleast it happened when they were doing something they love.

finboy
06-03-2005, 08:03 PM
RIP

Kobe
06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134977830#post134977830

That's the worst coincidence I've ever seen, so terrible to happen to a guy as cool as him too.:cry: RIP mate...

Thats crazy.. R.I.P

crazydriver
06-03-2005, 09:25 PM
O god, not again another CGT wasted

RIP guys

iceburns288
06-03-2005, 09:34 PM
^ wtf? It's not the CGT that matters here

Redlyne_mr2
06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Imagine being one of the FOC members who had to tell the passenger, Corey's wife?
I've been thinking about this crash all day. The worst thing about tragedys such as this are all the "what if" factors.

Redlyne_mr2
06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
:(

CalgaryB5
06-06-2005, 12:38 AM
:(

Zephyr
06-06-2005, 12:55 AM
man...i guess thats why everything i go to the speedway for autox they make everyone sign like freaking sheets and sheets of papers...