PDA

View Full Version : Banging noise

renzo
06-03-2005, 08:07 AM
After i go over a bump the rear driver side wheel starts making a banging/thumping noise for a couple of seconds then stops...then will start again then stop??

I took a look and everything seems okay :dunno:

I did just get my springs installed like a month ago, could this be causing the banging noise, is it maybe the shocks?

You can feel the banging in the car too and it sounds really loud. Anyone know what it might be or has any idea what is causing it??

Any help would be great...thanks.

ACS-e36
06-03-2005, 08:57 AM
rear shock mounts

RickDaTuner
06-03-2005, 09:16 AM
it could be that one of your newly replaced struts is Blown not providing enough dampening when the springs are being compresed resulting in your shock bottoming out

it could also be the you have snaped one of the connecting studs on your sway bar assembly

or it could also be a loose rear shock mount like ACS-e36 said.

on my car a banging noise is caused by Stiction in the rear struts, where the shaft of the shock sticks in one spot due to a faulty dust seal allowing contaminents to get inside the strut assembly, although i have only ever heard of this happening on the STi's its is also another possibilty

renzo
06-03-2005, 09:26 AM
thanks for the response guys

....it is still safe to drive isn't it???

RickDaTuner
06-03-2005, 09:37 AM
I believe being safe to drive is subjective to how agressivly you drive and the conditions of the road you drive on

but i think its obvious that if it progresses to worse, you should have it looked at by the dealer or a licensed Mechanic

my english is of the hook today:nut:

renzo
06-03-2005, 09:39 AM
^^^ yeah i just want to take it to the mechanic today

once again thanks for the responses guys

renzo
06-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
it could be that one of your newly replaced struts is Blown not providing enough dampening when the springs are being compresed resulting in your shock bottoming out

it could also be the you have snaped one of the connecting studs on your sway bar assembly

or it could also be a loose rear shock mount like ACS-e36 said.

on my car a banging noise is caused by Stiction in the rear struts, where the shaft of the shock sticks in one spot due to a faulty dust seal allowing contaminents to get inside the strut assembly, although i have only ever heard of this happening on the STi's its is also another possibilty

if you hoist the car up can you see these things visually, i took the car to ok tire and he said everything looked fine under the car, we even went for a ride but the banging noise didnt come up.

today the banging noise is back when i go over bumps acconpanied by what sounds like a rock stuck in the breaks.

Kaos
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by renzo

if you hoist the car up can you see these things visually, i took the car to ok tire and he said everything looked fine under the car, we even went for a ride but the banging noise didnt come up.

today the banging noise is back when i go over bumps acconpanied by what sounds like a rock stuck in the breaks.

its hard to say, it sounds like your shock rod has snapped.
I was having the same similar sounds like you had bujt as soon as I got it up on the hoist, the entire shock DROPPED!
I got it replaced and no problems since then.

if its not your rear shock mounts or the shock itself, it sounds like your subframe has cracked.