PDA

View Full Version : who's running 8' subs in their car, feedback/comments?

Clever
06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
i'm in the process of rebuilding my system, and i would like to know everyone's feedback on 8 inch subs. I'm more interested in better overall sound quality but would like it too have some decent bass. so what set up with 8s would be good? what brand? ideally how many 8's, etc. thanks.

Weapon_R
06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
8's just don't cut it, een if you want a little bass. They are simply too small and you probably won't be happy with them. My 2c

Chester
06-03-2005, 03:26 PM
air_mikey has two 8's behind his seats in his del sol but he also has a 12 in the trunk so it sounds really good. But two 8's alone isn't enough

core_upt
06-03-2005, 03:31 PM
2 8" Jl W3 woofers will sound absolutely amazing in the right box. These subs without a doubt will out wit most 2x10 setups and be incredibly tight and responsive. Their onl draw back is they're only good for certain types of music, like punk, metal, rock and techno, anything where you need fast bass response. This is not the setup for rap or hip hop or mobile theatre.

GSR Zero
06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
I have a buddy who has two 8" Focal subs in his truck. The sound great.

Weapon_R
06-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Premium subs will sound good no matter what size (focal, ED, W3s) but why pay the premium price for something that will have a hard time outperforming a 10" type S?

garyb
06-03-2005, 03:47 PM
i had to 8's in my civic hatch, ,they sounded really good. crisp and clear. they could also pound to the right music its all in the box!

trikypenguin
06-03-2005, 03:57 PM
don't go smaller then 10's, 10's sound good and will play to about any type of music

lastprodigy
06-03-2005, 04:11 PM
10s is fine1

Clever
06-03-2005, 04:42 PM
thanks, i'll keep everyones input in mind, i was going with 8' focals. my old setup was 2 15 JL's back in highschool, then switched it too 2 10' Alpine 2yrs ago, which was okay but that went with my last car when i sold it.

so i'm basically starting from scratch. i still have one 10' Alpine Type E that i can maybe use and go with 2 8's(probably alpine, if i can find any) but that might be too loud for me(getting old)

or keep it at 1 10 and upgrade all interior speakers.

or go with 2 8's

so what kind of amp should i be looking into? i still have the same amp from my old setup(with 2 15's) but's it's only a mono, (probably too old school for some of you on here, American Graffiti by Zapco) excuse my ignorance with car audio i'm a bit rusty.

spike98
06-03-2005, 06:20 PM
First off take that Zapco amp and sell it. Not because its not a good amp, it is. But because its VERY rare and if its in good shape you can fetch a pretty penny to a car audiophile.

Secondly if you have a small cabin ie, 2 seater or a single cab truck, get the 2 8". Do some research and find some good ones. If you are still interested i can help you find some decent ones.

If you have a normal sized car or extended cab truck then i would get one 12". Something nice like a Image Dynamics IDQ V2 or something for Elemental Designs. Again i can make more suggestions depending on which route you take.

thinmyster
06-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Is it not better to have a really good amp and an okay sub rather than visa versa? My buddy had a 8 inch JL behind the seat of his fiero but never reached full potential till a guy at soundsaround hooked up a way better amp... Anyways my 1 10 inch type R pounds loud enough for what i need. So my vote would be for 10's

Clever
06-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by spike98
First off take that Zapco amp and sell it. Not because its not a good amp, it is. But because its VERY rare and if its in good shape you can fetch a pretty penny to a car audiophile.

Secondly if you have a small cabin ie, 2 seater or a single cab truck, get the 2 8". Do some research and find some good ones. If you are still interested i can help you find some decent ones.

If you have a normal sized car or extended cab truck then i would get one 12". Something nice like a Image Dynamics IDQ V2 or something for Elemental Designs. Again i can make more suggestions depending on which route you take.

hey thanks,

as for the Amp, i guess it is pretty rare, your the 4th person to tell me that, someone already offered to buy it for me, i can't even find any info on it in regards to specs, it was a present from my cousin in the US. It's the AG 200 model, what do you think is a good price if i do sell?

and i drive a 2000 Toyota Solara, coupe but the cabin is about the same as a regular camry sedan. and with two little boys, there's no point having a loud system. so i think a 12 might be too big.

Def_3
06-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
8's just don't cut it, een if you want a little bass. They are simply too small and you probably won't be happy with them. My 2c

I disagree, as the smaller the surface area the better a sub can keep up. So if you are looking for a cleaner more solid punch and higher sound quality, 8" subs will be alot better, couple of my buddies are running 8"s and they are loud enough and way cleaner sounding than anything bigger:thumbsup:

Def_3
06-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by spike98

Zapco amps will bring you $!!!!!!! They are high end constant power amps, that you should have NO problem selling, hell pm me if you want to sell it

Chim
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I had an 8" Type-S at 4 ohms, and a 10" Type-R at 8 ohms, both running off the same amp.

Both were equally loud because of the difference in resistance, but the 8" was definitely a lot cleaner. The casual listener wants just nice clean bass, but if you're a bass addict 8" will definitely not cut it. Just depends what you're going for, both choices are good.

soupey
06-04-2005, 12:45 PM
i personally have never tried 8" speakers, but ive tried 2 10s, 2 12s, and 1 12....i must say for sound quality, the 2 10s was probably the best, larger 12s definately get more boom, ur car will shake more but u'll have trouble getting to the midbass without distortion....i think the best idea for u if ur not looking for hardcore bass is to get a single 10", and upgrade all the interior speakers....im thinkn since u dont want smthn too too loud...go for smthn 150-250wrms..

Z24_3.1
06-04-2005, 12:49 PM
2 12" Type S is the way to go

theken
06-04-2005, 12:55 PM
buy a 8inch w7 off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18802&item=5779018542&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
if you want 8 inch this is the way to 1 will outpound most 10's

Clever
06-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by soupey
i personally have never tried 8" speakers, but ive tried 2 10s, 2 12s, and 1 12....i must say for sound quality, the 2 10s was probably the best, larger 12s definately get more boom, ur car will shake more but u'll have trouble getting to the midbass without distortion....i think the best idea for u if ur not looking for hardcore bass is to get a single 10", and upgrade all the interior speakers....im thinkn since u dont want smthn too too loud...go for smthn 150-250wrms..

thanks, i'll keep that in mind. my Solara came with JBL speakers stock, but i can get an entire set of alpines from the US cheap so i migh do that.

Originally posted by Z24_3.1
2 12" Type S is the way to go

like i said before, 12's will be too loud, might as well go back with my old setup, but i have 2 boys, they don't listen enough as it is, i can only imagine what 2 12's blaring in my car will do:nut: :rofl:

Originally posted by theken
buy a 8inch w7 off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18802&item=5779018542&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
if you want 8 inch this is the way to 1 will outpound most 10's

that's a sweet sub, i like JL's i used to run 2 15's, it was too loud but it sounded like crap(becxause of my setup not the subs), ah good old highschool days...
:D

and as for the amp make me an offer. thanks.