PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding sources for school report

schurchill39
06-04-2005, 03:20 PM
I am doing a report for mechanics class on vehicle structures but i am having a hard time finding sites to use to write the report. The subjects i need sites on are:
Describe the most appropriate methods of identifying the type of materials used in a part of a structure.
Describe how to (or how vehicle manufactures have):
Reduce drag
increase passenger safety
Increase longevity of structural parts
Imporve passenger comfort space

Or if you know the answers or some suggestions please leave them, i will be using this thread in my bibliography if you do.

Any sites even product sites that have a part on how they work or what they do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

A790
06-04-2005, 05:24 PM
Try www.howthingswork.com

Phy
06-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Go to the library and snag some books on car design, metallurgy, or aerodynamics.

Redlyne_mr2
06-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

Describe how to (or how vehicle manufactures have):
Reduce drag
increase passenger safety
Increase longevity of structural parts
Imporve passenger comfort space

Or if you know the answers or some suggestions please leave them, i will be using this thread in my bibliography if you do.

Any sites even product sites that have a part on how they work or what they do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Sait has some automotive mechanics programs they shoudl have some books you need. To help in your research here are a few general answers to your questions

1. reduce drag: All vehicles are now tested in highly advanced windtunnels where through using a computer the manuhacturer can actually view the angles in which the wind passes ovef the car. Urethane has made it possible for manufacturers to design front bumpers in any shape or size which results in reduced lift, increased downforce, better air passages to cool the engine. Headlight houses are now all made of plastic so they too can be shaped any size to improve aerodynamics. The addition of lips and spoilers in many new sports cars has also furthered improvements.

2. increase passenger safety: Crumple zones are one of the most important factors in a vehicle to help save lives. The crumple zones are areas of the car designed to absorb the impact forces from a crash keeping the occupants of the car safe. In the early years of the automotive industry there was no such thing as crumple zones. instead companies built the biggest cars they could out of solid steel. In accidents the cars would hold up well but the occupants would take all the forces and get destroyed. Combine crumple zones with various types of airbags , abs, and traction control and todays vehicles are safer than ever.

3. Increase longevity of structural parts: Plastics have replaced many metal components in cars. Plastics are not prone to rust and if produced properly can last forever. In areas where metal is required manufacturers have been using rust free alloys and galvanizing the steel to prevent corrosion.

4. Improve passenger comfort space: There has been a lot of emphasis lately on head room and visibility. Manufacturers are making their cars higher and wider rather than just longer. A high roof in a small car gives the appearance of a large interior.

schurchill39
06-06-2005, 10:20 PM
thanks, i handed my report in today thansk you guys