PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my computer/internet

3G
06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Alright guys I recently bought a new computer, and I haven't gotten around to getting a router yet. So until I get a router I'm thinking just plug it into the modem when no ones using the other computer. When i go on it, MSN works perfectly but Internet Explorer (yah i know it sucks im trying to download firefox) takes 5 minutes to load a webpage if it even loads it.
I haven't had a chance to install SP2 or any updates. Did I get infected already?

My other computer (old one) works great. Is this a software problem or what? It's Running XP Home. Any help would be appreciated

roopi
06-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Try this:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

3G
06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Is it spyware? I didn't even get a chance to get online or d/l anything.

Xtrema
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Puttiing a windows computer on the net without router or SP2 w/ firewall is same as fucking $5 whore without a condom.

You are toasted. Go out and buy a router and reload OS. They are cheap (at most $100) and can be picked up everywhere.

You've been around long enough that should have picked up threads about this all the time.

googe
06-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Puttiing a windows computer on the net without router or SP2 w/ firewall is same as fucking $5 whore without a condom.

You are toasted. Go out and buy a router and reload OS. They are cheap (at most $100) and can be picked up everywhere.

You've been around long enough that should have picked up threads about this all the time.

^^^ what he said hahaha, great analogy by the way

the average life expectancy of an unpatched windows computer right on the internet is like a matter of minutes

3G
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys^^. Can anyone post a link to where I can download SP2? and a good free firewall? The windows site only gives it through Windows Update or something.

The version of Norton Internet Security I have doesn't work with XP :(

frostyda9
06-05-2005, 01:43 PM
When I reformatted XP, I had malicious stuff on my computer before I could even get my updates done. Easily less than 1/2 an hour.

3G
06-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
When I reformatted XP, I had malicious stuff on my computer before I could even get my updates done. Easily less than 1/2 an hour.

Looks like thats what happened to me? Anybody got a copy of the SP2 cd they can lend out to me?

3G
06-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by googe

^^^ what he said hahaha, great analogy by the way

the average life expectancy of an unpatched windows computer right on the internet is like a matter of minutes

Should I format again? or just re install XP?

googe
06-05-2005, 02:28 PM
reformat

BumpinTalon
06-05-2005, 02:54 PM
wow Windows sucks
I am definitely going to dl SP2 and install that before I plug my new comp into the modem

Seanith
06-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Do a search on slipstreaming SP2 on the same cd as your XP. Do that all on the computer that works.