PDA

View Full Version : help re: calgary pizza scene

Pages : [1] 2

nambis
06-05-2005, 03:29 PM
does anyone know where to get good thin crust pizza in calgary? I have lived here for 4 years and the pizza scene here seems limited to:

1) the ultra low quality '2 for 1' shops like 'awesome kicthen' or c'anadian pizza unlimited' (ick).

2) cookie cutter chains like pizza hut, boston pizza, pizza 73, etc.

3) tom's house of pizza

4) california style joints like panago and wicked wedge.

i can't dig the cheap arab pizza (#1 above) or chains (#2). tom's is OK, but the crust is a bit too thick for my liking, there is not enough cheese, and there are too many toppings which are usually cold by the time you eat it. #4 is also OK, but i just want a simple good cheesy pizza.

what I am looking for is chicago style thin crust, which basically is just a thin crust pizza with a lot of sauce and cut into squares rather than triangle slices.

i've heard sandro's pizza in NE is good, and also heard that pizza bob's in kensington is good.

any suggestions? I am considering a web site on this issue so if you have anything to contribute please reply.

awd
06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Rio's is my favourite for thin crust -- I think there is a few in town.

AllGoNoShow
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
I dunno I like pizzia huts thin crust but maybe I am biased cause Ive never had anything else.

That or Papa Johns but they aren't thin crust.

Seanith
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
I thrive on Panago but I can tell i'm not as much of a Connoisseur as you haha.

JordanLotoski
06-05-2005, 10:46 PM
best pizza in town right now is hands down western pizza....

Mr. Burns
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Gondola Pizza has the thin crust and squareness you desire.

GC84ever
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
my current favourite for awhile now is Panago. Great value for money, far better than the over priced pizza hut.

TheXplosion
06-05-2005, 11:23 PM
There this place on 17ave and i think 9th street in downtown (241) greatest thin pizza ever by the slice too, GREAT PRICE, best anywhere, i go every week the owners a great guy.:thumbsup:

Strider
06-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Gondola Pizza has awesome thin crust... the Large (or is it Extra Large???) is cut into squares.

If you decide to try it, don't order from the one on center street.

Weapon_R
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Simple good cheesy pizza?

ATLAS Pizza. One of the best in Calgary IMO. Vlassis is good for thursdays, as it has All you can eat for 8 dollars. Another good choice is Spiros. I'm a pizza fiend and those are my top 3.

babiedoll
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by awd
Rio's is my favourite for thin crust -- I think there is a few in town.

is rio's even open still?!?! If so, where in CGY? I haven't been there since the one in temple (NE) shut down:cry:

sputnik
06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Pizza Bobs on Kensington Rd between Crowchild and Bowness Rd has great thin crust pizza.

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 09:35 AM
there is an AWESOME place in Varsity.. can't remember what its called but gaaaaaaaaaaawd its SO GOOD. by far the best pizza I had in my life. I think its Top's Pizza? or something. Its right on Shaganappi, where there used to be a Turbo gas station, its across the street in the little strip mall, just a tiny place in the corner. not really thin crust but it is still just amazing pizza.

nambis
06-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by babiedoll

is rio's even open still?!?! If so, where in CGY? I haven't been there since the one in temple (NE) shut down:cry:

yea there is still one on centre street near 30th (?) ave N

Davetronz
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
there is an AWESOME place in Varsity.. can't remember what its called but gaaaaaaaaaaawd its SO GOOD. by far the best pizza I had in my life. I think its Top's Pizza? or something. Its right on Shaganappi, where there used to be a Turbo gas station, its across the street in the little strip mall, just a tiny place in the corner. not really thin crust but it is still just amazing pizza.
I believe that it is now "Varsity Subs"...
They still make pizza though, and I believe it is the same owners.
There is a pretty decent place right across the street (across from Shell) somewhat next to Baskin and Robins...

Ajay
06-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318

I believe that it is now "Varsity Subs"...
They still make pizza though, and I believe it is the same owners.
There is a pretty decent place right across the street (across from Shell) somewhat next to Baskin and Robins...

The one across from Shell is Matadors. They have WICKED pizza and amazing ribs as well.

Neil4Speed
06-12-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon

Yeah, Varsity Pizza and Subs, same old owners. I see them pretty often shopping at Superstores, an old guy and his wife.

The Pizza is pretty good, but overly greesy if you ask me.

The best pizza anywhere hands down was Napoleons Pizza until it closed down :(

Try Vans Pizza on 17th I believe, I thought they were pretty good, and I believe they do have thin crust

Celica TVS3
06-12-2005, 10:14 PM
The wicked wedge on 17th Ave SW between 5th and 6th street is good unique pizza, but its not thin crust.

Jatt87
06-20-2005, 07:04 PM
is rio's even open still?!?! If so, where in CGY? I haven't been there since the one in temple (NE) shut down
The one in Temple is still open

nambis
06-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I had vlasis the other day, it was pretty good but the crust is a bit thicker than I am looking for. next ima try pizza bob's or whatever it's called in kensington

nambis
07-06-2005, 02:56 PM
i went to pizza bob's last week.

GREAT thin crust pizza. Just don't get too many toppings because they pile them on and you get too large of a toppings:crust ratio. I would recommend only 2 or 3 toppings.

Also, may be wise to ask for extra sauce because they don't use very much.

but, all in all, a dope ass pie! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
07-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Great. I should try it...I might try "Vern's" today by Fish creek station...I've heard good things.

nambis
07-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
Great. I should try it...I might try "Vern's" today by Fish creek station...I've heard good things.

if you try it, let us know what you think!

GoChris
07-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Vern's pizza is friggin HUGE. Its like eating a meat sandwhich. If you like alot of meat Vern's is the place to go.

Where is pizza bob's?

nambis
07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by GoChris
Vern's pizza is friggin HUGE. Its like eating a meat sandwhich. If you like alot of meat Vern's is the place to go.

Where is pizza bob's?

kensington road

www.pizzabobs.ca

Nissanaddict
07-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Had a verns....Gochris is right, it is huge. I find it generally real damn tasty too...although the crust isn't exceptional, otherwise, all good. 4/5 I'll say. The crust is the weak link here. But yeah, tons of toppings, and I really like their sauce. Def. not thin crust for your reference there.

asp integra
07-07-2005, 11:18 PM
CPU is great!

ronin893
07-08-2005, 02:13 AM
vern's is really filling, but i get kinda sick of it
they pound the meat right on there like no 2morow

Impreza
07-08-2005, 02:20 AM
Panago's does the trick for me!

nambis
07-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by asp integra
CPU is great!

haha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you can't be serious? CPU is a perfect example of what is wrong with the calgary pizza scene. The scene here is saturated by pizza joints that are owned and operated by people who have never had a pizza or know how to make one, and they use the cheapest possible ingredients so that they can offer their 2 for 1 deal or large pizza with unlimited toppings for $9.99.

Nothing I want to eat...

Official Hoser
07-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by nambis

The scene here is saturated by pizza joints that are owned and operated by people who have never had a pizza or know how to make one, and they use the cheapest possible ingredients so that they can offer their 2 for 1 deal or large pizza with unlimited toppings for $9.99.

:clap: True.

IMITATION CHEESE it's what's wrong with the Calgary pizza scene.:barf:

403Gemini
07-08-2005, 11:31 AM
im a fan of sammys pizza or if i wanna get sick that night from grease, chicago deep dish :drool:

Weed
07-13-2005, 10:04 AM

haha:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

you can't be serious? CPU is a perfect example of what is wrong with the calgary pizza scene. The scene here is saturated by pizza joints that are owned and operated by people who have never had a pizza or know how to make one, and they use the cheapest possible ingredients so that they can offer their 2 for 1 deal or large pizza with unlimited toppings for $9.99.

Nothing I want to eat...

I love Verns and Western pizza. It took me the longest time to find pizza places like that tho. Everyone i asked always says panago or CPU are real good. Id try to explain what real pizza was and theyd have no clue.

soontobeped
07-13-2005, 10:21 AM

1) the ultra low quality '2 for 1' shops like 'awesome kicthen' or c'anadian pizza unlimited' (ick).

i can't dig the cheap arab pizza (#1 above)

Yeah, what the heck do they put in their sauce? Pizza should not be sweet and have funny herbs in it. . . :barf:

nambis
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
and they use weird peperoni at most of those places. I dunno about everyone else, but I'm used to peperoni that's cut thin and is about the diameter of a toonie, and is usually crispy. at most of the arab joints it's more like soggy bologna that they put on there and call peperoni.

QuasarCav
07-13-2005, 11:27 AM
and they use weird peperoni at most of those places. I dunno about everyone else, but I'm used to peperoni that's cut thin and is about the diameter of a toonie, and is usually crispy. at most of the arab joints it's more like soggy bologna that they put on there and call peperoni.

That would make me puke. I like a nice crispy pepperoni.

Weapon_R
07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Ask them to put the pepperoni on top of the cheese. The pepperoni they use is the same stuff, its just soggy because they always put it under the cheese. If its placed on top, it'll be very crispy

nambis
07-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Ask them to put the pepperoni on top of the cheese. The pepperoni they use is the same stuff, its just soggy because they always put it under the cheese. If its placed on top, it'll be very crispy

I don't think it's the same stuff - it's way thicker, and also it's larger (about the size of a piece of bologna). I know because i live right by "canadian original pizza" and eat there way too much. If you peel up the cheese you can see that the peperoni is large sized. :thumbsdow

freakin
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Those chains are good when you're drunk and looking for something to settle your stomache, but my favorite for good pizza is Flavour Me on 8th st. between 5th and 4th St. SW. It's not thin crust but you'll find a lot of get veggie pizzas. I had one yesterday that was sundried tomatoes, zuchini and artichoke. Damn that was good! It's similar to wicked wedge for creative combinations, but not as expensive.

PS, 2-4-1 on 17th is possibly the worst pizza I've ever had in this town. I can't even finish it after a few beers.

soontobeped
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by freakin
PS, 2-4-1 on 17th is possibly the worst pizza I've ever had in this town. I can't even finish it after a few beers.

Never go to AAA Great Pizza Company. Think it is bad going down? Wait until it comes back up.

nambis
07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by soontobeped

Never go to AAA Great Pizza Company. Think it is bad going down? Wait until it comes back up.

LMFAO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

check out their ghetto-ass website: http://aaagreatpizzacompany.supersites.ca/

the coupon is particularily crazy: http://aaagreatpizzacompany.supersites.ca/coupon/

:D

Seanith
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
lmao at teh coupon

btw nambis, maybe you should start your own pizza shop lol

nambis
07-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Seanith

btw nambis, maybe you should start your own pizza shop lol [/B]

seanith: actually I am seriouslly considering this! I need to wait a few years so i can make/save enough ca$h to open one:D

I would go for a chigaco-style thin crust pizza, like the one pictured below from Carbone's Pizza in Minneapolis, Minnesota :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

soontobeped
07-13-2005, 11:18 PM

the coupon is particularily crazy: http://aaagreatpizzacompany.supersites.ca/coupon/

:D

That coupon sort of creeps me out. Seems like it is not really a pizza shop, but a whore house or something. I do not know why, but I just can see a very frightening clown with a cigar holding that out to some little kid. . .raising his eyebrows, he says, "hey kid, you want to see something real special?"

Is it just me? ;)

I love the "pizza by the yard" image!
http://aaagreatpizzacompany.supersites.ca/pizzabytheyard/

They stretched a regular slice to "look" like a big pizza!
I wonder if that is how they make it. . .

Seanith
07-14-2005, 12:26 AM
those pictures remind me of my early days on teh intarw3b :rofl:

tapout
07-14-2005, 12:49 AM

seanith: actually I am seriouslly considering this! I need to wait a few years so i can make/save enough ca$h to open one:D

I would go for a chigaco-style thin crust pizza, like the one pictured below from Carbone's Pizza in Minneapolis, Minnesota :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: you should man go for it:thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
07-14-2005, 10:44 PM
That looks delicious. I didn't know you meant that thin...but it always rocks. I find for quick homemade, you can't go wrong with pita shells...so crispy and thin.

Nissanaddict
07-24-2005, 06:14 PM
Howies Pizza: Went there on Thursday. Not bad. Rather tasty. Still not the thinnest crust though...I really need to try out Pizza Bobs there. Although I'll have to say Moxie's has thin crust (but the pizza itself isn't the best)

hockeybronx
07-24-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw
Gondola Pizza has the thin crust and squareness you desire.

Originally posted by Strider
Gondola Pizza has awesome thin crust... the Large (or is it Extra Large???) is cut into squares.

If you decide to try it, don't order from the one on center street.

:werd:
My family used to order from Gondola's all the time but we haven't for a while. I remember some great pizza nights back then:D

lancer04
07-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Papa john's for me..

though pizza 73 has really good wings

Weapon_R
07-24-2005, 09:46 PM

I would go for a chigaco-style thin crust pizza, like the one pictured below from Carbone's Pizza in Minneapolis, Minnesota :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

So what's the verdict? Crust sizes aside, where's the best tasting pizza you've tried?

nambis
07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
The best pizza I've ever had was from Carbone's Pizza in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Another close rival is Brian Bell's Pizza, also in Minnesota.

I haven't found anything nearly as good here in Calgary, but if I had to pick from Calgary I would have to say either Pizza Bob's or Tom's House of Pizza, although I could give a few tips to both of these places :D

Nissanaddict
07-25-2005, 02:42 PM
That picture you posted from Carbones looks awful tasty. I'll have to try Pizza Bob's sometime this week.

nambis
07-25-2005, 03:22 PM
That picture you posted from Carbones looks awful tasty.

It is by far the best I've ever had. Check out this review: http://www.citypages.com/bestof1999/foodstuff/bestof542.asp One of the locations offers frozen uncooked pizzas (on parbaked crust of course), and next time I am in Minneapolis I intend to ship several back home on dry ice.

I'll have to try Pizza Bob's sometime this week.
Great, Pizza Bob's is pretty good. It is thin crust, although it is still a bit thicker than the chicago or cracker styles. I do have some advice re: Pizza Bob's, based on my last trip.

1) try to limit the number of toppings to 2 or 3. A lot of their pies have like 5 or 6 toppings, but what happens is that this makes the toppings:crust ratio too large, resulting in a 'thick' pie and thus defeating the point of a thin crust pizza. Also, these toppings are piled on loosely (large surface area) and get cold easy, which gives you a temperature gradient throughout your pie. I prefer my pizza to have a constant temperature throughout. :D

2) If you like sauce (and they do have great sauce) make sure you ask for extra sauce. They put barely any sauce on there and you can't taste it at all.

3) This place is a hardcore greasy spoon! The pizza is good and I didn't get food poisioning, but don't expect a wiped-off table or clean glasses, plates, silverware, etc. If you're not down for this they do offer delivery.

And when you're finished, report back and let us know what you had and what you thought of it. maybe even bring your digicam and get a coupla pics of the pie :thumbsup:

nambis
07-25-2005, 03:54 PM
found another pic of the famous carbone's pizza:

BerserkerCatSplat
07-25-2005, 09:26 PM
That looks really good. The best thin-crust pizza I ever had was in England. It was a tiny joint in Bath, and it had the most sumptuous pizza that's ever entered my mouth. Perfect crust, savoury meat, and they used capers (little pickled things) to really set it apart.

If I could afford it, I'd fly back there just for the pizza.

RSX.04
07-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Coco Brooks and Vern's are among my favorites. I work at Pizza Hut but I eat it all the time so I get sick of it quick.

nambis
07-28-2005, 10:21 AM
We went to Stavros Pizza & Sportsbar last night (4105 4 Street NW). On Wednesday's they have half price pizza if you dine in. They make a pretty decent traditional crust (thick) pizza, and you can get a large specialty for $19 (or $9.50 on Wednesdays) so it's a pretty good deal. On wednesdays they sell a ton of pies so the ingredients are always very fresh. They also use real cheese.

I attached a few pics of the pizza we got last night. It has pepperoni, bacon, green peppers, mushrooms, and onions. We asked for extra sauce cause they are usually a bit skimpy on the sauce. As suggested by Weapon_R, we also asked for the pepperoni on top so it would be crispy rather than soggy. They accidentally put the bacon on top, however, but whatever is was still dope as heck.

As you can see in the pics, this is some THICK pie, so either go very hungry, order a smaller than usual pizza, or plan on having leftovers for lunch the next day. :thumbsup:

nambis
07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
stavros pizza 2 of 3

Nissanaddict
07-28-2005, 10:23 AM
That looks pretty tasty. I totally remembered, if you're ever around Canmore there's a place there who's name escapes me, but I'll find it. Real good from what I remember.

nambis
07-28-2005, 10:28 AM
That looks pretty tasty. I totally remembered, if you're ever around Canmore there's a place there who's name escapes me, but I'll find it. Real good from what I remember.

The best place I've been to in Canmore is Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. (http://www.rockymountainflatbread.ca/).

They also serve good pizza at the Bolo Ranchhouse (http://www.bolo.ca), but it used to be better a few years ago before Bolo bought the place. It used to have an indie pizza joint in the basement which served up a delicious chicago-style thin crust, with great sauce and greasy cheese.

nambis
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
stavros pizza 3 of 3

Official Hoser
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM

The best place I've been to in Canmore is Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co. (http://www.rockymountainflatbread.ca/).

You can also get their pizza frozen at some Co-op stores. Of course, it doesn't compare to the real thing, but it is the best frozen pizza I've had.

KleanCord
07-28-2005, 10:41 AM
look up Sammys Worlds Greatest Pizza. They have a location just off of Macleod right by the fish creek c-train station. I am not sure but they might also have one up north. Anyways, its a bit pricey but it is definatly a nice pie. Every year they win best pizza in calgary by the Herald or something like that.

sputnik
07-28-2005, 11:02 AM
Can you people please read the initial post.

He's asking for the best THIN CRUST PIZZA in Calgary.

nambis
07-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
Can you people please read the initial post.

He's asking for the best THIN CRUST PIZZA in Calgary.

I started the thread, and yes I was looking for the best thin crust pizza in Calgary. However, if you read the entire thread, I think you will find that we are on a quest to define and find the best thin crust pizza. There are no obvious answers and many wrong turns, but posting the information here certainly helps us along in the right direction :thumbsup:

Nissanaddict
07-28-2005, 04:11 PM
The Canmore place was Santa Lucia. I went there cuz it had the same name as the winnipeg one. Haven't been there in years, but if I remember right, it was thin crust and real tasty as well.

nambis
07-28-2005, 04:16 PM
The Canmore place was Santa Lucia. I went there cuz it had the same name as the winnipeg one. Haven't been there in years, but if I remember right, it was thin crust and real tasty as well.

I've had pasta there several times :thumbsup: definately a great place! I can't recall if I've tried the pizza there, but I certainly remember seeing it. They serve it italian style, on top of either little silver pedestals or big empty tomato sauce cans (can't remember) so it frees up table space.

I'll try it next time I'm out there (if I can somehow avoid Rocky Mountain Flatbread Co.)

Nissanaddict
07-30-2005, 09:50 PM
Tried pizza bob's today. Excellent. I took your advice and only got 2 toppings, and extra sauce. It was real damn good. Can't say much bad about it.

Weapon_R
07-31-2005, 01:22 AM
All of those 2 for 1 pizza joints, CPUs, unlimited topping pizzas are disgusting.

Tried Pizza Bob's today, it was pretty good but I can't get over the shitty atmosphere inside of there. Probably won't go there again, its not a place that encourages, or even facilitates a decent dining experience. Gonna keep looking...

dino_martini
07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
If your ever in the Inglewood area, try inglewood pizza. Its the best pizza I have ever had. Its not a bad price at all. Not exactly thin crust, but its pretty good. Its run by this Greek guy. The sauce is great.
#237-8220

JAYMEZ
07-31-2005, 03:09 PM
So do we have a verdict for best thin crust?

Best thick crust is Papa Johns :drool: ...

Damn im hungry...

Nissanaddict
08-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Papa Johns is good for thick crust definably. Those ads about fresh toppings don't seem to lie, just don't ever eat that terrible dipping sauce they have. Pizza Bobs, I missed the atmosphere. I took it to go. Gonna have to try Toms House again (haven't been in a while...plus employees in at LEAST 2 locations don't like me much cuz they met their girlfriends AFTER their girlfriends met me :P) I might give Gondola a try (said to be thin crust) unless someone objects. I also recommend Moxie's Pizza for something decent. I don't mind it so much, and the crust is quite thin as well.

soontobeped
08-01-2005, 02:50 AM
I tend to stick to chains because I move around a lot. Boston Pizza's pizza with the alfredo sauce is great, but (if I remember correctly) much too expensive to be considered "pizza". I love Domino's pizza. . .for me it is #1 (not thin crust). And their Philly Cheese Steak pizza was great when it was around. Have to wait until I move to order again, though, for fear of spit or such. . . Did not tip the last guy very highly because he smelled like he had not showered for about three weeks (before I opened the door). Sorry, but that is not very appetizing. Yeah, I am a cruel, heartless b*%#, but who wants to eat pizza while body odour lingers above it? Blah.

dino_martini
08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
For thin crust, I would say Toms House of Pizza, is one of the best. Its an ok price, and the Pepperoni has some source of a kick to it almost. Plus they have little juke boxes at each of the booths :D:D

nambis
08-27-2005, 10:02 AM
i have found the best pizza in calgary: sandros restaurant and pizzeria ltd. http://www.geocities.com/jaredperi/sandro/sandro.html

this is REAL pizza with a hand-tossed yet still thin crust, high quality ingredients (where do they find green peppers like this in canada???), excellent imported pepperoni, and a very simple yet delicious sauce. highly recommended.

if you plan on going make sure you have reservations (about a week in advance for weekends) as they are booked solid every night.
:thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

Nissanaddict
08-27-2005, 02:00 PM
wow. I am going to have to try that for sure...I'll go sometime next week.

(where do they find green peppers like this in canada???),

at that comment, I GOTTA try it. My fave pizza is just pepperoni and green peppers.

Official Hoser
08-31-2005, 01:14 PM
Totally. Sandro's rules. And it's not that expensive (about $20 for a large 14 inch), especially for how amazing it is.

nonlinear
04-06-2006, 04:50 PM
this is also a great pizza thread. who the fuck is that nambis prick?

Seanith
04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
more importantly why was he banned :)

DJ_MOTO
04-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Did you mean Sandy's Pizza
That was formally mine we sold it to an old man.

Sharpie
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
this is also a great pizza thread. who the fuck is that nambis prick?
Hmm... I wonder:rolleyes:

But back onto the pizza topic has anyone had the bbq chicken from panago?:drool:

Seanith
04-06-2006, 07:30 PM
Everytime my family gets panago we get the bbq chicken and new york deli! :drool:

nonlinear
04-07-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by DJ_MOTO
Did you mean Sandy's Pizza
That was formally mine we sold it to an old man.

No, it's S-A-N-D-R-O-S

Kritafo
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Tom's house of pizza,. We tried the SW restaurant. took our kids in and read the no smoking sign but it's all we could smell, but stuck it out because of the reviews.

Pepperoni?? do people know what pepperoni is? It's not spiced up cold meat! It's not the size of a CD! Cheese, it's not should have the texture of rubber with sand in it. It's smooth.

We left the place and all 4 of us had to go home and shower to get the smoke smell off of us, I thought it was a horrible pizza experience.

Verns...? What the hell is with that sauce? Filling but still gross in my opinion...I am still hooked on Mothers Thai Chicken pizza. mmmmm

Kritafo

DeeK
04-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I dunno about thin crust, but as far as normal crust goes. JD's in the SW location is my fave, I havent been there in a couple years, but when my buddy owned it, he made a killer pizza, I dunno if he stills owns it. Havent seen him in a while.

Also, Nick's Pizza and steakhouse by McMahon makes a pretty killer pizza as well :)

Kritafo
04-22-2006, 10:13 PM
WE were at the NW spot, Bridlewood I believe. I know cheese, I worked at Say Cheese in London ON. They must have had some low cost crap the night we went...doesn't matter we will never go back. I am so sick of crappy pizza. It's nice to go out for pizza, even order. I am sticking to homemade!

Kritafo

TomcoPDR
04-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Not about thin crest... but a friend took me to "Michael's" just around the corner from the Mustard Seed. Awesome pizza, fresh toppings, and different type of cheese as in stronger taste :thumbsup: (compared to pizza mills: pizza hut, 73, dominio's, etc...)

nonlinear
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
there has been a lot of talk about pizza recently, so I thought i would dig out this thread because it still contains some useful information.

just a bit of an update since 2005:

after searching since 2001, i've found the following to be OK when you're in a fix:
tom's house of pizza
pizza bob's

the following are what i consider to be the best in calgary - not so much because i like the greek or traditional italian styles, but just because they just use the best quality imported ingredients:
pucinela
sandro's pizza
matador
il centro (although the service is absolute HORSESHIT, so we haven't been in years)
gondola pizza (chicago-style thins crust, love it cause i grew up eating that style of pizza)
Vogglio's D'Pizza

DJ_NAV
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Seniore's should be added to the list....

nonlinear
09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
I haven't had seniore's yet, but i'll definately try it soon

give us a review if you've had it

Gorilla
02-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Simple good cheesy pizza?

ATLAS Pizza. One of the best in Calgary IMO. Vlassis is good for thursdays, as it has All you can eat for 8 dollars. Another good choice is Spiros. I'm a pizza fiend and those are my top 3.

Gotta agree with ATLAS PIZZA Tops in my book.

Neil4Speed
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
You guys might laugh, as you all seem to be pizza connoisseurs, however, I love a coco brooks pie. something about that crust, delicious!

nonlinear
02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
coco brooks is pretty good - especially if you get the take n' bakes, so you can cook 'em on your own sched.

as for spiros and atlas - both are some of the better examples of calgarian greek bar pizza. I have to admidt that i'm not really a fan of the style, though, so I can't promote those as strongly as some of the other members here.

Vlassi's has closed, but the same owners opened up a new shop right next door called Marissa's. I had pie from Vlassi's once, several years ago, but didn't go back cause, again, just not a fan of the style.

matador's is the closest thing to that style that i will recommend (although it's kind of a cross between american-style crust, and greek bar pizza).

Benny
02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
What's Sandro's called now? After it burned down it changed the name but I can't remember offhand.

nonlinear
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Rea's

masoncgy
02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
coco brooks is pretty good

The SE location is literally a 2 minute walk from my shop... mmm... Louisiana Chicken FTW! :drool:

nonlinear
02-03-2010, 10:49 PM
^^yea, i like the bootlegger and the italian sausage :drool:

(you don't work at matress depot, do you heheh)

know1edge
02-04-2010, 01:44 AM

P_D
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Any place good in aridrie. Im stuck out here till sunday and kinda live on pizza. If anyone has been to pizza boys in edmonton thats the kinda pizza i like. Not to thick or thin and lots of sauce