PDA

View Full Version : Flood warnings! cool!

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
I couldn't catch the rivers, he said something about Okotoks and all southern streams and tributaries coming from the southern mountains and foothills. Sheep River, Highwood River, and Willow Creek it sounds like, I think. 40-70mm more rain though. ouch.

it was exciting, but they cut off a good Pink Floyd tune in the middle of the song. I'm kind of choked about that.

duffspec
06-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I should stop driving and build an ark!!! :thumbsup:

Phy
06-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Environment Canada's Official Weather Warnings
Warnings
City of Calgary
10:27 AM MDT Tuesday 7 June 2005

Heavy rainfall warning for
City of Calgary continued

A further 30 to 60 mm of rain today into tonight.

The Major storm system affecting southern Alberta continues to produce rain heavy at times across the region especially along the foothills. General rainfall amounts of 60 to 100 mm have been reported over the past 24 hours along and west of the highway 2 corridor from south of Calgary to the Pincher Creek area. Further east general amounts of 30 to 50 mm have been widespread. These rainfall amounts come on top of the wet beginning to June that has seen some rainfall every day since last Wednesday. Alberta environment continues a flood watch for many streams and rivers in the warning area.

For today moderate to locally heavy rain will continue this afternoon into this evening across the warning area with a further 30 to 60 mm likely. The highest amounts again are expected over the foothills especially along and west of the highway 2 corridor from Okotoks to fort McLeod where event totals may approach 150 mm by Wednesday morning. Rain should gradually ease off overnight into Wednesday although lingering showers will likely persist into Thursday. Drier weather is finally expected to move for Friday and Saturday.

I was out that way last night and all the little creeks had broken their banks in places.

brandon
06-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by duffspec
I should stop driving and build an arch!!! :thumbsup:
You mean an ark?

:P

Ill help you with that!!! :D

duffspec
06-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks got fat fingers!!! hahahaha

MenteL
06-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I love the rain. Anybody else here get in a good mood when its showering like hell outside? I love puddle stomping with my car!

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I hate driving my car in the rain. visibility sucks even more then it usually does and my tires are no good in the wet. especially the new ones :(

duffspec
06-07-2005, 11:18 AM
^^^I'm worried about my rims doood. Pot hole covered in water = bent rim. At least the farmers won't complain this year.

HPower
06-07-2005, 11:19 AM
I live in Cochrane, and my house backs right onto the bow river. The river is within throwing distance from my backyard. It's flowing pretty high right now. Not flooding like high river is supposed to be getting, but by the look of it, it has risen about a foot or two. Flowing extremely fast. Yesterday there was a boat floating by with nobody in it.

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 11:21 AM
^^^I'm worried about my rims doood. Pot hole covered in water = bent rim. At least the farmers won't complain this year.

they will still be complaining, just not in the media. my uncle makes more money when his harvest sucks then when his harvest is good.

Originally posted by HPower
I live in Cochrane, and my house backs right onto the bow river. The river is within throwing distance from my backyard. It's flowing pretty high right now. Not flooding like high river is supposed to be getting, but by the look of it, it has risen about a foot or two. Flowing extremely fast. Yesterday there was a boat floating by with nobody in it.

a boat with nobody in it? that's kind of ominous haha :D me and my friend went rafting from the dam in those cheap $5 rafts from crappy tire while the river was low and it was pretty deadly in some parts. I can only imagine what its like when its higher... hopefully whoever's boat it was is okay.
do you live in Bow Ridge or West Terrace? I'm up in Gleneagles, so no flooding problems for me :D

rage2
06-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I love driving in the rain. Hydroplaning is fun!

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
oh wow! they just interrupted the radio again! I wonder if they have something new to say

...damn. same old news. they interrupted sloan or something this time though, I fuckin hate those guys, so no big deal.

civic_stylez
06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
old school jeep + snorkel + 33" swamper tires = some sweet ass fun!:thumbsup:

HPower
06-07-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm actually down in Riverview. Ya it's fun rafting from the dam, especially since I can go right to my house. I've never done it when the river is down though, always when its high. But I love rafting, the Bow is actually kinda slow and boring most of the time, but has some good fishing in spots along the way.

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Wildcat Island is a good place to stop over and spend the night :D when the river opens up and gets deeper, it gets real boring (I think that is about one hour away from Cochrane?).. ya know, the big slow bends where there's like a rusted out really old car on the left. up until then though, if you go when its low you get some sweet rapids (sweet for $5 rafts anyway), it really hurts when you pack it since the river is only a foot deep and it drags you along the bottom but if you stay on you can get good air and a nice white-knuckle ride.

duffspec
06-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

Untill you become one of those dudes on real tv. Standing on the roof waiting for a helicopter to rescue you. JK :rofl:

HPower
Ya I've stoped at the island a couple times.

7thgenvic
i kinda wanna go floating down the river with all this madness! safe? probably not

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
i kinda wanna go floating down the river with all this madness! safe? probably not

safe? hell no, not even remotely.
completely kickass? hell yes.

HPower
06-07-2005, 11:46 AM
If you were a decent swimmer you could still swim from one side to the other. I do that all the time during the summer, which isn't that easy. The river isn't slow and shallow out here like it is at Edworthy for instance. But if you did get in the water right now, it would be ice cold from all the rain water pouring into it. It would definitely be fun though, if you didn't mind getting poured on the whole time.

civic_stylez
06-07-2005, 11:46 AM

Untill you become one of those dudes on real tv. Standing on the roof waiting for a helicopter to rescue you. JK :rofl:

ahaha ive always wanted a ride in hawcs!:D

Melinda
06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
They just announced that they've closed river overpasses on Mac Trail...does this include the ones by the stampede grounds/lindsay park?

Altezza
06-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I think this rainfall was actually supposed to be our mid-late May snowstorm that we never got.

sputnik
06-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
They just announced that they've closed river overpasses on Mac Trail...does this include the ones by the stampede grounds/lindsay park?

Why would they close that overpass? Its a good 10-15 feet above the waterline. I can see them closing the bikepaths that go under them. This morning as I was coming into work I noticed that the river was only about 6 inches from the pathways.

Melinda
06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
^^ No idea, they just said they had closed the river overpasses on Macleod trail, i'm just trying to figure out which ones those are

nismodrifter
06-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
I think this rainfall was actually supposed to be our mid-late May snowstorm that we never got.

seems like it, I totally forgot that we didn't get a huge dump of snow this year.
I hate rain...its been like this for like a week now and its getting to me.

Altezza
06-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

seems like it, I totally forgot that we didn't get a huge dump of snow this year.
I hate rain...its been like this for like a week now and its getting to me.

I find it hard to get up in the morning to go to work cuz it's so dark and gloomy. All I want to do is :zzz: more

88CRX
06-07-2005, 12:24 PM
^^ No idea, they just said they had closed the river overpasses on Macleod trail, i'm just trying to figure out which ones those are

shit :thumbsdow i hope not, gonna be a nightmare in traffic tonight

abyss
06-07-2005, 12:27 PM
on my way to work this morning 36th street NE (well I guess it would actually be 44th) right where they're doing construction the road was already 3/4 flooded over. good thing it doesn't get used that much, but it would suck if it flooded 36th, that's the quickest route down from my house.

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM

I find it hard to get up in the morning to go to work cuz it's so dark and gloomy. All I want to do is :zzz: more

no kidding
no sunshine, no wakefulness
this rain weighs heavy on my spirits.

Chester
06-07-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by BumpinTalon

no kidding
no sunshine, no wakefulness
this rain weighs heavy on my spirits.

:werd: I did not want to come to work this morning at all

Nalgene
06-07-2005, 01:30 PM
Well I live in Okotoks and work for the town, and all I can say is that its going to get alot worse.
I have been sent home for today because they split everyone into two 12 hour crews, I go back at 8pm tonight. Yesterday from 8am to 10:30am the river rose a foot. The river usually runs at about 7ft per sec but with things the way they are its going at id say 150+. With heavier rain expected tonight its going to be hell. I and about 20 other guys fill sand bags for 5+ hours this morning.
Although Okotoks isnt in a State of Emergency yet, as High River is... the Flood Watch will not stay much longer. They expect another foot and the road that was 20 feet away from the river will start flooding and storm sewers will be so backed up some lower lieing manholes will spill up back onto the street.

Hope there isnt to much damage done... Im going to have a rough 12 hours tonight
:tongue:

nismodrifter
06-07-2005, 01:38 PM

those were my exact words this morning.....when I woke up at around 11:45am hahaha

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 01:47 PM
just updated the alarm for the entire Old Man River. two meters away from flood level or something. minor flooding in Fort Macloud.

SuPhistiKatEd
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Heh, High River...:rofl: Nah, I'm kidding...this is terrible for everybody. I work outside and got sent home...just too wet to work. I feel so tired and depressed. :(

/////AMG
06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
nice, someone get me pics!?!? never seen a flood in calgary

edit: actually do any channels show like live new sor anything? like online radio but its not

BumpinTalon
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
its not flooded bad enough to make news really, beyond a 30 second clip talking about the weather.
cochrane floods really bad in a few spots sometimes, its not raining hard enough, but it did it like half a dozen times last year. if that happens, I'll grab ya some pics

Nalgene
06-07-2005, 02:17 PM
It was the top story on CFCN at noon... probably because Daryl Janz is from High River and its 10 years TO THE DAY since the sheep river and Highwood rivers flooded this badly.

Madspinner
06-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Okay well I live in High River, It is pretty intense around here , I work at the highwood golf course and 3/4 of the course is like a river right now .Just fiinsh putting sandbags around the clubhouse. plus Its supposed to get alot worst . The main bridge in town has been shut down, cause the water is going over the bridge. Some of the downtown businneses have been flooded and alot of homes here .

BerserkerCatSplat
06-07-2005, 05:14 PM
^shitty, that sucks for all those people. Is the flooding expected to get any better any time soon?

Madspinner
06-07-2005, 05:30 PM
No , Here in High River, it is supposed to get worst.

3G
06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I noticed 2 of you guys talked about sandbags, what would you fill them for?

knees scrapin'
06-07-2005, 07:10 PM

No, there crops are floating now away. Being a farmer is a very dicey job. It is definetly not an easy a job as most people think. To much or not enough. Just remember that when you buy a steak or a loaf of bread.

knees scrapin'
06-07-2005, 07:13 PM

Its the bike path under neath the bridge. Its about 3 feet under water.

knees scrapin'
06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 3G
I noticed 2 of you guys talked about sandbags, what would you fill them for?

Fill them with sand. Pile them up and keep the river from flooding your house.

finboy
06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
from 8 o'clock this morning till 6 o'clock tonight i was mopping water out of the basement.

fuck calgary

Kobe
06-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Ahhh Elbow river is crazy flooded by Lindsay park, the water is on the bike paths, crazy.. I'll try to get some pics...

BlkMaxima
06-08-2005, 12:14 AM
CRAZY! That campground in Okotoks is completely covered in water! Elizibeth st. is closed too, Also that church beside the river across from the campground is flooding pretty bad too!!!!!:eek:

googe
06-08-2005, 02:12 AM
ttiwwop

The EquAzn
06-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by finboy
from 8 o'clock this morning till 6 o'clock tonight i was mopping water out of the basement.

fuck calgary

Me too man... all my carpet is fucked... and its not like I can put it outside to dry. I spent all last night pulling carpet off the ground and squiggying...

If anyone can drop a recommendation on renting those carpet cleaners, please let know. Or any other idea to clean/dry this carpet, I can't afford to buy a new set.

Thanks

b_t
06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by The EquAzn

Me too man... all my carpet is fucked... and its not like I can put it outside to dry. I spent all last night pulling carpet off the ground and squiggying...

If anyone can drop a recommendation on renting those carpet cleaners, please let know. Or any other idea to clean/dry this carpet, I can't afford to buy a new set.

Thanks

you can get those carpet cleaners from almost anywhere, they rent them out at the IGA in Cochrane. you can try blow-drying it or something :D make it a family job.
otherwise, phone a rental place and rent a carpet dryer, it looks like a gigantic hair dryer, and use that to dry it out.

The EquAzn
06-08-2005, 08:50 AM
oh really? thanks man.

K I'll look into it, its cheap right?

b_t
06-08-2005, 08:52 AM
its like $130usd to buy one so I'm guessing it couldn't be much more then $35, $40cdn a day. my guess is that rental places are going to run out of them reaaaally quick tho.. phone them ASAP

Khalil
06-08-2005, 09:23 AM
b_t

whats that a video of in ur sig??

b_t
06-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Khalil
b_t

whats that a video of in ur sig??

a nitrous purge :D

DJ Lazy
06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by finboy

fuck calgary

THis is my plans for the day as well... Had to call into work today, and tell them I was gonna be late... Hell I don't even know if I will make it in at all... :whipped: :banghead:

Madspinner
06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Okay so I will have pics up soon from High River .

LudeRoca
06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
i live in edgemont so i dont gotta worry about no flooding. :D

Melinda
06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
They have sewage backing up now :( I really feel for these people in High River and the other towns effected by this

xkon
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

I'm afraid I agree... damned fun! I went to MacLain creek with mine on the weekend, all this rain washed it all off finally, after 3 days!

...Also soaked a few ppl at bus stops, whoever you are, I'm sorry... it was an accident!

rmk
06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
looking at other cities/towns, we should be thankful we rarely have natural distasters around here. on the ctrain to sait yesterday, the trees on the banks of the water by erlton st. are half way in water and over kensington, there used to be an island below the bridge, buts it gone!!! crazy stuff, good luck to anyone affected by the water and flooding this week.

b_t
06-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by rmk
looking at other cities/towns, we should be thankful we rarely have natural distasters around here. on the ctrain to sait yesterday, the trees on the banks of the water by erlton st. are half way in water and over kensington, there used to be an island below the bridge, buts it gone!!! crazy stuff, good luck to anyone affected by the water and flooding this week.

yeah I noticed that too
on the way to work this morning it looked like the bike path that goes under the bridge is completely gone on both sides. I'll have to double check that tho, I was super-tired and might have been seeing things.

Madspinner
06-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Okay pics are up and posted here .
High River Flood (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=1077004#post1077004)

nismodrifter
06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
water is now spilling over the top of the reservoir, drove by it today and it was weird seeing water go RIGHT to the top where you would usually see concrete.

BlkMaxima
06-08-2005, 05:58 PM
water is now spilling over the top of the reservoir, drove by it today and it was weird seeing water go RIGHT to the top where you would usually see concrete.

That's nuts! I can only imagine the damage that would happen if that dam were to let loose!:thumbsdow :eek:

cycosis
06-09-2005, 12:02 AM
that would be scary, the rain pisses me off especially cause i work ladscape and either your working in rain or worse, no work at all :(

DJ Lazy
06-09-2005, 12:21 AM
the water has finally stopped leaking into my room tonight... carpet is still SOPPING wet though... :banghead: Damn weather be on the turn around now...

cman
06-09-2005, 01:40 PM

werd saw it last night as well, saw flashing lights at the end of the resovoir then looked over and saw nothing but water.
plus it was on the front page of the paper. first time it has ever happened.

Nalgene
06-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Well after working 50+ hours already this week (sooo much overtime) I can say that Okotoks got hit pretty good...but not nearly as bad as high river.
Tuesday night was insane... literaly driving in the town trucks around town in a manner that ambulances, fire trucks and police do when responding to an emergency. It was pretty intense.

BlkMaxima
06-17-2005, 11:44 PM
MORe flood warnings again, bet High River is having a blast!:thumbsdow