PDA

View Full Version : Got into an accident, not my fault

schurchill39
06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
This is taken from what I posted on the S13 thread so no need to re-read it if you saw it there.

Just got into an accident car might be fucked heres my statement so you all know what happend.

Tuesday June 7, 2005, at approx 6pm 5kms outside of Viener ville on HWY 41 at the intersection right by Falmans rentals, combine and tractor sales I was involved in an accident. I was traveling west at aprox. 100 km/ph. In front of me there was a red car that seemed to be pulled over on the side of the road. He swerved out into the lane (same lane I was in) then swerved back onto the shoulder, not knowing what he was doing I put my signal light on to pass him because I was still a fair distance behind him. His car was smoking black smoke so I thought something was wrong with it so he was pulling over to check something (I later find out this is because it’s a diesel). Suddenly he swerved back into the lane. I think no big deal he is just going and his car isn’t broken, then he starts to turn. I am about 30 feet behind him when he starts to turn. At about ¼ the way through his turn he puts his signal light on; I am 15-20 feet away from him in the opposite lane at this time. I am still traveling 90-100km/ph because I took my foot off the accelerator and had it hovering over the brakes he is traveling about 10km/ph. I thought “Oh shit were going to hit” then remembering what I learned in drivers Ed I firmly direct my car to the left so not to engage in a head on blow. He hit the back quarter panel of the passenger side of my car just skimming the passenger door with the front left corner of his car. This all happened in a split second time. We launched aprox. 10-15 feet off the side of the highway into the ditch landing on an angle then my car came to a rest aprox 150 feet from the “take off” (edge of the highway).

(/end)
Thank god we are ok, my girlfriend was in the car with me and she hit her head off the side window, we both went to the hospital after and we were jsut sore but we check out alright. The buddy just didnt look in his mirros plan and simple. and he didnt signal. I dont think the cop was being fair as he was putting words in both mine and my girlends mouth when we were giving our statments. Whats even more retarded is that we both got tickets. Mine was for improper left hand passing and his was for unsafe left hand turn the "same charge" but its complet bull shit and i am fighting it cuz it is not my fault.

My question is what do you guys think about this and what are some tips you could give me for court and insurance, this is my first car and i dont want to be fucked over. The damage to my car includes a busted rear quater panel and tire/rim, bent front metal just above the lip from the car landing in the ditch, front sway bar and suspension shot and i wouldnt be surprised if the whole cars suspension is gone. :cry:

THANKS!!!!!

Zero102
06-08-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm having trouble understanding what happened.....
Was he going the same direction as you, or the other way?

Tips, well, notify your insurance company straight away. If you wait, it will look bad for you.

Get thoroughly checked out by a doctor, an impact of this severity (from what I can understand) could cause extensive soft tissue injuries.

I don't know if you were able to get pictures of both vehicles, and the scene at the time, but they will most likely come in handy later if you did.

Not too sure what else to advise you of off the top of my head.

At least you guys aren't seriously injured. That's good news.

AllGoNoShow
06-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Wow 2 months of owning a car and your hangin gout with street racers, getting tickets, now in a crash that may have caused enough damage to cause your insurance copy to wrtie it off and pay out rather then fix it.

No offense but I find that you had no wrong doing hard to believe. If anyone is smoking black shit and swirving all over the road, you don't blow by them doing 100km/h. You take precautions and slow down and make sure they aren't a thread to you and maybe that you can help them once you are safe.

Didn't drivers ed teach you to be a defensive driver and defend yourself against things like this, instead of being offensive and continuing your way at 100km/h blwoing by them like they don't exsist....

Anyways....

Contact your insurance company right away.

By the sounds of it, if suspension is shot and bodydamage is of result, they may write it off depending on costs. But this provides you an opportunity, one of which to learn to slow the fuck down when people are swirving infront of you. and 2. Buy the car back after they pay u out, save a few pay cheques and start upgrading the suspension, not to mention it is 15 years older but if you want to start modifiying there is a way in for you.

The bent rim can most likely be repaired here in Calgary, call Canadian Wheel and Tire and get a quote and once your done dealing with your insurance company, i fyou do end up with it then end it out to them for repair.

vietdood
06-08-2005, 12:54 AM
what was your statement to the cop? from what you wrote it sounds like you were behind him and he was turning left very slowly. instead of hitting him from behind you zipped past him on his left and he hit your quarter panel. if that's the case then you would be at fault. if he's infront of you then you should slow down. if this was the case, you should've directed your car to the right on to the shoulder lane and it would've been avoided.

BlackArcher101
06-08-2005, 01:14 AM
I have been in that same situation many times (except for the smoke), and everytime I have slowed down simply because I didn't know what the guy was going to do next.

Sounds like the guy was on the shoulder because he was going slow, then wanted to turn but saw you approaching, so he went back to the shoulder. Then he probably thought since he's so close to the turn he could get out of your way before you got to him. Either he was wrong or you were speeding.

In drivers Ed, we learned to aim for behind the car, where you have the most chance to miss the collision. (Larger gap that get's bigger vs the small gap which is getting smaller).

As to the car, it will most likely be a write off. Chalk it up to lack of experience and enjoy the super high insurance payments.

Weapon_R
06-08-2005, 01:22 AM
If that is the case, and you passed him while he was trying to turn, sounds like you're at fault. A pic would have been way easier to comprehend and make more sense than that post above.

Lo)2enz0
06-08-2005, 01:46 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23683&highlight=accident

This is what happened to my friend in an intersection right by my house. He slowed down to make a left turn into my neigbourhood and on the road I live on people fly by people who are turning. So he was making a left turn and the dumbass behind him t-bones him and sent him into a ditch.

This could have been the same situation that you could have faced and after reading your post over in this thread and in the s13 thread, at speeds like that you should have slowed down.

I used to drive like that, drifting ever corner known to man and being stupid, than I started to drive my mini-mini van (4 door auto golf) and it taught me to drive normal or in other words, driving like a slow ass bitch (thats what some people say, they also call my car 'the faggot ass bitch car' because its not 'cool'), but hey it gets me from a to b in one place. I suggest you do the same because it was probably the best thing I have done.

method
06-08-2005, 01:56 AM
dude, draw a picture in MSpaint or something like that... I dont know if I completely understand it, but from what I read it just sounds like you ran into him. :dunno:

googe
06-08-2005, 02:04 AM
it makes sense until the head on part. how can 2 vehicles that arent going opposite directions hit head on. :confused:

but yeah its sounding like your fault.

heavyD
06-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Your fault. EXACT same thing happened to a friend of mine (I was a passenger) on hwy 22. You should have proceeded cautiously instead of passing at high speed. My friend wasn't even going that fast and he was at fault. Sucks but everyone owes it to themselves and everyone else to drive safely and with caution on the roads.

b_t
06-08-2005, 11:19 AM
well first things first your car is fucked and is definitely a write-off since 240SXs are only worth a couple grand blue book value (or black book value? I think that's the canadian one, anyway), and that is what you insurance company will go by. if you launched 10-15ft off the highway in the air, there is no way your car is not done for.

and what direction was the other guy going? SAME as you (heading west), or OPPOSITE you (heading east)? if he was heading west, it is your fault for the dumbass passing manuever. if he was heading east, it is his fault for the dumbass turn.

for court, you will need a lawyer specializing in traffic tickets to fight this. start looking for one. next time, slow down when you don't know what is going on and the other guy is doing things that make no sense.

kbb.com puts a 1989 Nissan 240SX fastback in 'fair' condition with a standard transmission and 110,000 miles as being worth $995... even if its in excellent condition its only worth $1,600.
This is why it's a really bad idea to buy cars that are currently selling at GIGANTIC premiums, like 240SXs and AE86s. ...because when you crash, you are going to be out the $4,000 extra you paid for the car because it is in vogue.
on the plus side, you can buy your car back really cheap and now you've got a good excuse to build it up, although you'll need to spend a lot on all-new everything for your suspension.

Toms-SC
06-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Is this the same kid hanging out with all those street racers?

b_t
06-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Is this the same kid hanging out with all those street racers?

apparently so

schurchill39
06-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Its to bad beyond is being over run with dicks who pray on other peoples miss fortune.

No i dont hang out with "street racers" what you guys are exagerating is my friend who tried to race me blew through a light because he was paying attention to the opposite one. One funny incident dubs me a "street racer" beacuse i hand out with "street racers"

I went out today and took pictures of the scene i will post them once my friend emails them to me.

Kirbs17
06-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Sorry to hear your misfortunes man, hopefully shit works out for you

markymark
06-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by b_t

kbb.com puts a 1989 Nissan 240SX fastback in 'fair' condition with a standard transmission and 110,000 miles as being worth $995... even if its in excellent condition its only worth $1,600.
[b]

That can't be true. My friend just hit a deer last week in his 1989 240 and his insurance was going to write the car off..seems like he had similar damage as this guy. but a body shop appraised him at 3000 dollars to fix and they said that it is less than the cost of the car therefore they would pay for the repair. His car has 236 000kms, and a fair bit of rust. So this guy will get more than 995$. I'd guess probably close to 4000$...if it isnt his fault.

method
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
no one here is 'preying' on your misfortune dude... no one is profiting from your accident. people are just a little skeptical.

KBB doesnt apply to the canadian market I dont think.

frostyda9
06-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Having a little trouble visualizing this as well. When you passed him, the only way that is makes sense is if you were in the left side of the centre line (oncoming traffic lane) making a pass on a dotted line? Anyways, sorry to hear.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by b_t
This is why it's a really fuckin bad idea to buy cars that are currently selling at GIGANTIC premiums, like 240SXs and AE86s. ...because when you crash, you are going to be out the $4,000 extra you paid for the car because it is in vogue.
on the plus side, you can buy your car back really cheap and now you've got a good excuse to build it up, although you'll need to spend a lot on all-new everything for your suspension.

Id suggest not being so outspoken on a topic you obviously know nothing about, you might come out looking like a fool...

My 240 was totalled in december (not my fault) and I got $6000 back for it. It was modded but not heavily, and insurance didn't really care about the mods. I maybe got an extra $1000-1500 for the mods.

schurchill39
06-08-2005, 07:21 PM
As it stands right now we both got tickets, I have a ticket for unsafe passing on the left and he has one for unsafe left hand turn. He had the other guys ticket writen up right away but had to sit for a while thinking of the ticket to give me cuz its complet bull shit. He even said he didnt want to be involved so he is giving us both a ticket. Every one at the scene (obviously even the guys wife) thought he was at fault so i am fighting it. My court date is the 12th of august. Will it not matter if my ticket gets droped or how does this situation work?

b_t
06-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

Id suggest not being so outspoken on a topic you obviously know nothing about, you might come out looking like a fool...

My 240 was totalled in december (not my fault) and I got $6000 back for it. It was modded but not heavily, and insurance didn't really care about the mods. I maybe got an extra $1000-1500 for the mods.

sorry I got mad. I hate when people get in a crash that was completely avoidable and keep saying its not their fault like they did nothing wrong, when really this whole situation could have been avoided. and I crashed my car before and went through this whole process :dunno: my insurance company valued my car at much much less then I paid for it (About 40% less, but it was actually less then what the KBB said it was worth by about $2,000). I'm sure black book value is higher in Canada but it is not available online unless I am missing something.

and sorry about freakin out there schurchill.. but you better learn from this and hit the brakes next time you don't know what is going on.

if they want to write your car off, you can go find all the parts used to save your money (and car). look and see if there is a part-out on http://www.son240sx.ca/ and talk to your body shop to look for parts in local junkyards, even if you have to ship the parts from BC they will cost a lot less then new parts. you can also search yourself on http://car-part.com/

edit: and I was checking a no-options 1989 with 180,000km private party value. dealer value was almost double with no options and got higher with some common additions but it still was no more then $4500cdn.

googe
06-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Its to bad beyond is being over run with dicks who pray on other peoples miss fortune.

we arent doing anything besides telling you what you asked. since you are at fault, and we told you that you are at fault, that makes us dicks? its just the truth, dont shoot the messenger.

no one here wishes misfortune upon you, and just about everyone here will admit to having made a stupid mistake in their vehicle at some time in their life. count this as one of yours and move on.

No i dont hang out with "street racers" what you guys are exagerating is my friend who tried to race me blew through a light because he was paying attention to the opposite one. One funny incident dubs me a "street racer" beacuse i hand out with "street racers"

now lets be real, are you going to try and say that the ONLY time this friend has tried to race anyone just happened to be that incident you were talking about? ;) i wouldnt worry about people here accusing you of that much anyways though, seeing as 90% of them do it themselves.

finboy
06-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

your car has an sr though, didn't that bump the write off price a bit?

AllGoNoShow
06-08-2005, 08:24 PM

I went out today and took pictures of the scene i will post them once my friend emails them to me.

We don't pray on other peopel smisfortunes but your basically denying it was your fault when it was totally preventable and could have avoided this thing with maybe only a few words to the other dude and a finger, but no crashing or tickets.

Maybe its just me but I thought hwy 41 was a secondary highway, which means the speed limit is 90, which if your driving at night you shouldnt drive at, in the rain you dont drive at, other hazards on the road, you don't drive at. Yet you were doing 100, maybe more, maybe less.

The one thing that makes this seem kind of wierd to me is the discrepency in information, the pictures will help us but the other thing is the girlfreind. Maybe its just me but if somo jackass were fucking around up ahead and I was doing 100km/h, I would slow my ass down to prevent injury to her, nevermind myself, theres times to proove your strength and guts, but risking your life, her life, and the people in the other cars life isn't that time, thats the time to be a passive defensive kid and get worried, slow your ass down mighty quick and hope to god you dont hit shit.

You'll be paying for it now if you don't get the ticket thrown out and your insurance will definatly go up if you are found at fault, no matter what car, not to mention your the risk area they talk about and sure enough 2 months later, 2 tickets later, street racing that will eventually get you a ticket if you do it enough, and now writing off a car while speeding on the highway.

Sorry about the car dude, and good thing your both safe, but this could have been prevented so I wouldn't look on Beyond for sympathy, only help. Its the same with the kids who come here looking for sympathy over thier ticket for increased muffler size, sorry it could have been prevented, don't come here looking for help.

With that being said, post up some pictures and maybe everyone will understand more and get you some help.

2002civic
06-08-2005, 08:32 PM
from what i read hes turning left and you tried to pass him, now if theres an intersection should th eline not be solid? and if so you shouldnt be in the other lane trying to pass as it is illegal to go over a solid line? i could be really confused by your explanation though

braden883314
06-08-2005, 08:35 PM
About tickets (this is my experiance in calgary, as i can see u are from M.H.): i dont know your situation, but if u just got handed a ticket, the apperance date on the front of ticket is not a court date, it is just a day to plee or pay, something has to be done by that day. and you can go in and deal with it any time before then, my suggestion would be to go in earlier. I believe u have 3 options:

1) pay it - buy doin this u plee guilty

2) fight it - can be difficult, i have done this twice as a youth, once the cop showed up, for this ticket he came up to me b4 it started and told me that i had already admitted to being guilty when he pulled me over, but we were able to just go talk to the crown and decide that it was ok to lower the price of the ticket:thumbsup: And one time the cop did not show up, and i automaticlly won, although i dont believe this happens alot, they do get paid to be there, so i woulnt count on it.

3)Plee it - im not sure if u can do this as a youth but as an adult, u can ask, but this this u have to show up any day b4 the date on the ticket, early in the morning, be there by 7:30 (in calgary) get in line for the justice of the peace or w/e its called, tell them u want to plee it, they will take your ticket and tell u to have a seat, when the judges get in, they will see u, you will get called into a office and u can bargin with them, if it a demrit ticket, u can ussally get them voided or lowered, and if there is no demrits u can lower the price, it has been my experiance (and i have gotten well over 10 tickets) that if you are will to go down there, they r willin to make u deal! after u make a deal with the guy, u will take a seat in the hallway again, and they will call u into a different office and tell u what the deal u made was, ask if that is alright with u and then they will ask if u need time to pay, they r good about this to, if u ever dont want to pay, go down, tell them u need more time and no problem! lol, i have always found good outcomes with this method, and u can be outta there by 9 or 9:30!

They are reasonable people down there.

I hope this helps with your ticket, and its to bad about the car, never like to hear about a hurt car.

Personally i think this should be a 50/50 fault accident, due to the fact that both drivers used bad judgement. I just hope it was a lesson learned, and an eye opener to everyone, just be careful, we dont need anyone gettin hurt or killed, and I dont wanna read about any more damaged cars!

~Braden

hollywood_35
06-08-2005, 09:10 PM
Let's see the pics you and Jamie took today. I went and saw the car down the alley from our shop about half an hour ago, and I have to say, fixing the rear quarter is gonna be hard because it's a precise cut and weld job, but the front suspension didn't look that bad.

Like like mentioned above this is the perfect time to get your car to where you want it. It for sure needs a paint job, but you can get all the rust fixed, we know lots of welders that can do that, and I'm sure we can find some shop somewhere that we can paint the car ourselves.

It's gonna take a bit of money on your part but... we're gonna be making some good money this summer so it's no big deal in the long run.

It always hurts to see a car wrecked, but this case it's even a 240! :( I think that for some reason, me and you are not supposed to have our vehicles on the road at the same time, even with our scooters yours blew up a little bit before I bought mine... crazzy ass circumstances :guns:

AllGoNoShow
06-08-2005, 09:20 PM
haha you blew a scooter up?? Nice. Sorry I had to laugh :D

Idratherbsidewayz
06-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by finboy

your car has an sr though, didn't that bump the write off price a bit?

They didn't really care, if they wanted to refund me everything I put in id have gotten a little over 10k. Like I said all the mods including the engine prolly bumped it up $1000-1500 maybe.

Originally posted by hollywood_35
but this case it's even a 240! :(

:rofl: :rofl: Don't act so surprised. In the coming months itll be wrecked 240 after wrecked 240, everyones luck has to run out sometime...

method
06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by hollywood_35
but the front suspension didn't look that bad.

never say never till you put it on a rack :(

Kamen
06-08-2005, 11:03 PM
So you saw something was wrong from far away and had plenty of time to stop and slow down but you just kept going and pass him while he was swerving and smoking all over the place?? :dunno:

AllGoNoShow
06-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Kamen
So you saw something was wrong from far away and had plenty of time to stop and slow down but you just kept going and pass him while he was swerving and smoking all over the place?? :dunno:

*chuck ching*

Exactly my point....

schurchill39
06-09-2005, 08:11 AM
*smacks self in the forehead* When i went to pass him (made the move to actually get into the other lane) he was on the side of the road on the sholder. I wanted to give him his space to i moved to the other lane. Also i have looked this up but you can correct me if i am interpreting this wrong: Dont you need to be going the speed of the traffic in order to join in. Eg. come up to speed of the traffic on the shoulder before you can join in? Dont you have to look before you turn? I should have pictures by now but "gnarkill" wont get off his lazy ass and send them to me.
Again for the millionth time. I WAS NOT SPEEDING the posted speedlimit was 100, i was doing 100. Do i need a picture of the sign too? He was on the side of the road, i moved over to give him his space when he came back onto the road i figured his car was fine but he wasnt up to speed and i couldnt slow down so i kept going. he turned and cliped me i few into the ditch. I will get pictures after work tonight if i have to beat him.

Kamen
06-09-2005, 10:04 AM
Yea so you weren't speeding or anything but don't you think/ didn't it occur to you to slow down just incase since he was going all over the place and having black smoke? :dunno:
I don't know, if I were you I'd slow the hell down and would't even attempt to pass an erratic driver going all over the road unless im 100% certain I won't get killed in the process...

You're lucky this time man, I hope things work out for you.

vietdood
06-09-2005, 04:32 PM
the posted speed limit is for optimal conditions, didn't drivers ed teach you that? if roads are slippery or icey and you're driving the speed limit, cops can give you a ticket. you're suppose to adjust your speed to conditions.

-KiTtY- boo
06-09-2005, 04:47 PM
take it easy on him guys... im sure hes already beating him self, for making that one little mistakes... and yes, yes, i know, i know,..little mistakes can cause accidents... juss give him a chance, let him show u pics and then start telling him that hes and idot

schurchill39
06-09-2005, 09:44 PM
The roads were find conditions, it was actually really nice out that day. When i pulled over to the other lane to pass him he was on the side of the road, it wasnt until i got closer that he started swerving and shit.

schurchill39
06-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Here are the pictures i got the day after
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_27_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_28_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_29_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_30_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_31_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/854000-854999/854967_32_full.jpg

See broken line on my side

Kamen
06-09-2005, 10:43 PM
The damage doesn't look THAT bad? :dunno: Sorry I'm a n00b...

AllGoNoShow
06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
I duno man, I see worse cars then that driving around town :D

Fix the tire, replace the panel and you should be good there.

This would be THE best time to start modifying your car. Use insurance money to fix/upgrade suspension etc.. etc..

Hell new tire/repair flat depending ofcourse won't cost shit all compared to body or suspension.

You and your buddys could probably beat/pull that panel out enough to make it look better, sand/grind the cars rough spots down, primer/epoxy everything and get it ready for paint over the summer, best time to do it cause its nice outside and you got an excuse to go sit outside and tinker with the car.

Depending on insurance payout and buyback you may be able to repair all the front suspension damage and invest in some coilovers/struts.

schurchill39
06-09-2005, 10:51 PM
i dont there there will be insurance payouts as i only have PLPD but i am taking this to court as its bull shit i am getting charged too

Zero102
06-11-2005, 12:25 AM
It's bullshit you're getting charged too?
You saw another driver driving dangerously, and just decided to keep on cruising by him. I tried reading the story again, and now my brain hurts, but it sounds like he was going the same way as you, and made a left turn in front of you.

You also mentioned that you couldn't slow down.... you saw this guy driving like a f*cking moron from quite a distance, but you couldn't slow down...... I won't say any more about that.

Did you get a ticket? No ticket = no charge. The other insurance company will almost always try to pin some blame on you, if that's all they're doing, then that's perfectly normal.
If you honestly weren't at fault here (not my job to judge!!) then there will be an insurance payout, and it won't be from your company, so it will take a while to get everything hammered out (no pun intended).

No offense, but if you see somebody starting to make a left turn like that, go right. It's 10x more likely that they will continue to make their turn even if they see you, compared to them swerving back into the other lane that you would have taken to go around them. That is in pretty much every defensive driving course out there, but I know it doesn't always come to mind when it's happening.

In a situation like that, swerve right, extend middle finger, hit horn, keep driving. It's the Calgary way ;)

90awdwagovan.
06-11-2005, 02:37 AM
I love beyond.... 16 year olds telling each other what to do.

Take a dirt nap.

schurchill39
06-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Lets hope i dont get mowed over when i am in calgary today and tomorrow.

90awdwagovan.
06-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Speak for yourself.

AllGoNoShow
06-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 90awdwagovan.
Speak for yourself.

I think he is... dick.

Woblin_Goblin
06-12-2005, 05:10 PM
you can correct me if i am interpreting this wrong: Dont you need to be going the speed of the traffic in order to join in. Eg. come up to speed of the traffic on the shoulder before you can join in?

It is an extremly bad practice to drive on the shoulder of a highway unless you're in a slow moving vehicle such as a tractor, or you've got the donut tire and flashers on. If you haven't got time to get up to speed safely, wait.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad everybody is ok.
I often worry when turning left off the highway near my house. I put my signal light on about a 1/4 KM away from the turn and brake multiple times yet people still seem like they want to pass on the left. Or they tailgate like they want me to move over into the oncoming lane. People need to slow down and leave more room infont of them.

schurchill39
06-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Talked to my insurance today. The lady said they tried to go after him for 100 becuase of him leaving a parked place but she said he didnt. Then i tried to say somethig and i dont think she listened. She said it will end up being him 75% at fault and me 25%. Just wondering what the site is for the laws on highway trafic (if you understand that) i know this site has been brough up alot to do with stuff like interior lights etc, i just wanna look some stuff up. Also when i go to fight it in court, If i win will that effect insurance at all?

Primer_Drift
06-14-2005, 03:27 PM
^^
Thats good, because it is the majority his fault.

A similar accident happened to a friend of mine (coincidentally in a 240 also) except he made an illegal right hand turn from the left lane at a red light.. at the same time he turned a guy going the same direction as him ran the redlight and hit him. It was 100% my friends fault, because had he not turned the accident never would have happened..
Same thing goes here, had the guy not tried to turn you would have passed him without incident (regardless of your speed, lane orientation etc). Even more obvious that it is his fault is that the damage to your vehicle is on the side, not front. You are responsible for everything infront of you except incases where traffic ahead of you must yield. He clipped you, not the other way around. The accident however, like most, was quite avoidable and I'm sure its a harsh lesson that you have now learnt well.