PDA

View Full Version : powerbook or ibook???

buddha
06-08-2005, 12:51 AM
Looking to get into Mac, been amazed with their technology. Need to buy a notebook though, my question....

Should I buy a powerbook or a ibook? Which is better? for everyday use? Which is the higher brand? What are your views?

Please help me... Your suggestions and comments will be greatly appreicated. Thanks for your help everyone!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Dope Dealer
06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
PowerBook...

I got one.. They are wicked..

Impreza
06-08-2005, 01:00 AM
Depends on what you need it for. I have a 12" iBook for sale if you're interested. Only 9 months old!

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I've got a 15" Powerbook but probably selling it shortly seeing as I hardly use it.

Davetronz
06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Impreza, PM sent

Impreza
06-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I love my iBook. Really small and handy especially if you're on the go or a student. I will probably sell mine because I don't really use it enough to justify keeping it. But if you're considering a "student" laptop, iBook is the way to go! If you need a little more juice, the PowerBooks are gorgeous and have the performance to back it up.

tulit
06-08-2005, 06:55 PM
What do you intend on using it for? Which PBook/IBook are you looking for?

In the 12 and 14" (15") models, the Powerbook really isnt worth the extra money. The Powerbook is only marginally faster (probably wont notice any difference). A lot of the additional features it adds can be turned on by running free software hacks on the iBook (dual monitor desktop stretching, touch pad scrolling). The only thing the Powerbook has that I miss on my iBook is that you can't hook a DVI LCDs to the iBooks (only VGA LCDs).

Spend the money you save buying the iBook on upgrading the RAM/HDD/etc.

sCream
06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
i have the 12" Powerbook G4. I got it from the U of A bookstore this past school year and i absolutely love it. At first i was going to buy the 12" iBook, but after looking into it and feeling out the iBook, the powerbook just felt a lot sturdier and looked a hell of a lot better, plus i knew that if i bought an iBook, id want a powerbook sometime down the road. I love my powerbook, it doesnt scratch easy, its light, and doesnt crash like my PC, haha. Its perfect for my needs.

Impreza
06-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by sCream
it doesnt crash like my PC, haha. Its perfect for my needs.

That's one of the main reasons why I chose a Mac for school. I just need something reliable.

D'z Nutz
06-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a 12" iBook and love it. It's the perfect size and I would never consider getting anything larger. The 256mb RAM build into the laptop is sufficient, but more ram always helps. Personally, I didn't feel the difference between the 12" iBooks and PowerBooks justified the extra money, but that was just dependent on my needs.

If you're a student (or know of one), be sure to get the education discount. You'll save a nice bit of change that way.