PDA

View Full Version : American Hotrod

Daxin
06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Who here watch's the show 'American Hotrod' on the Discovery Channel. I find it interesting that Boyd expects soo much in return for sooo little. He treats his staff like garbage and still expects them to respect him. And Dwayne started off as a jackass and now that Charlie is gone and some of the other Yahoo's, he's become more tame.

I really don't know how anyone can still work for a boss like that. I did at my last job and man was I miserable. I will never let myself be in that kind of environment again.

rmk
06-08-2005, 07:55 AM
:werd: i love that show. duane was always a jackass to being with, maybe its b/c he's short and bald and has a unubrow :poosie: . lol, i cant stand the guy! yeah, charlie and the other body fella went to foose. did you see the episode with the fibreglass corvette??? that was crazy they did it in such short time. but for the money, there are better cars out there than coddingtons.

legendboy
06-08-2005, 08:17 AM
That show is funny. I imagine Boyd thought it would be great for publicity, but in fact, he has shown north America what an utter failure of an employer he is.

b_t
06-08-2005, 08:21 AM
still, he loves cars. that should be worth something. he just needs to learn how to treat his staff.

BokCh0y
06-08-2005, 08:41 AM
Charlie left? Didn't even know that. Good for him though, Boyd is a cocker sucker. I think Duane's funny even though he is a jackass. The dude I hate the most is that Big Bear guy. But yeah Boyd has gotta be one the worst bosses I've ever seen. He's so arrogant and treats his guys like shit. Not cool.

Daxin
06-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Al quit on this weeks episode, who's next? Boyd really needs to step aside as an employer and let someone who knows how to interact with humans run the shop.

GSR Zero
06-08-2005, 08:57 AM
The episode leading up to Charlie leaving and the episode that he actually left really showed Boyd's true colors. I mean how selfish can the guy be. Ya you are losing one of your best guys but to make Charlie the bad guy? Come on now. Didn't make Foose look that great either.

Heh, did any see the episode of Rides? The one with Chip Foose redesigning the two Cadillacs. Heh, he debut Charlie. Nice! :thumbsup:

duffspec
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
What Charlie's gone? When is the repeat episode? I haven't payed much attention because of all the repeats. If anyone wants to fill me in with a play by play :D that would be sweet.

GSR Zero
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
From what I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), Charlie left Boyd's because he wanted to move back closer to his family (I think in California). He was living at Boyd's house at first and then found his own place. So Charlie went searching and approached Chip Foose who he had met before. Chip and Boyd were good friends in the past but had a falling out.

So Charlie pondered over the new job and everything seemed to fit. Be a lot closer to his family (wife and kid) and work for Chip Foose. Plus things at Boyd's were getting stupid with unreal timelines and him being asked to take short cuts to get the cars out faster.

Charlie told Boyd of his plans. Boyd then got very angry and told Charlie how this was a bad idea to work for Chip. He made Chip look like the bad guy because he was poaching from his staff. Charlie tried to be the better man in my opinion. He tried to leave on good terms but Boyd was throwing a tantrum and wouldn't even shake Charlie's hand.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm sure I didn't do it justice. Keep an eye out for a repeat. Looks like they are doing new shows right now. It's steadily gotten worse at Boyd's with Al leaving and having no body man.

Daxin
06-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Makes you wonder why Chip and Boyd had a falling, yeah? Seeing Overhauling, I respect Chip a lot more then I do Boyd. Chip is the kind of guy that will design his own cars and work as a team to get his creation out, as for Boyd, he just sits in his office and calls for meetings expecting rediculous dealines. In every episode after this so called motivative speech's, he keeps saying that his crew's moral is up. I don't think soooo. Doesn't he realize that his employer ethics are wiggidy wacked!!!

rmk
06-08-2005, 10:24 AM
whoa, al left? what's the story behind that one???

you'd see charlie get at the shop at 6AM and leave at 10-11 pm. every day for a week.. the guy does awesome work.

lol, and how about having your ex wife work for you??? funny stuff when she comes into contact with the new milf.

GSR Zero
06-08-2005, 10:26 AM
hahaha, ya the ex-wife situation is hilarious. Man what a huge difference between her and the new wife huh?

I missed out on why Al left. What's the deal with that?

I have a lot more respect for Chip then Boyd. But ya gotta love those shirts!

brettg
06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
all i no is charlie heald that shop together, without him they are totally disorganized, he didn't only do body work he did almost all the assembaly as well, with him gone their work is deffinately coming up short.
and when boyd went into the paint booth and painted that vet, wut a JOKE, sure it worked for the time being but they need a painter full time.

rmk
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by brettg
all i no is charlie heald that shop together, without him they are totally disorganized, he didn't only do body work he did almost all the assembaly as well, with him gone their work is deffinately coming up short.
and when boyd went into the paint booth and painted that vet, wut a JOKE, sure it worked for the time being but they need a painter full time.

:werd: boyds biggest mistake was having the whole company resting on one man's shoulders. no one can do it. talk about pressure. he should have seen that coming though, now he's got the whole place in disarray.

lol, his new wife is hott. :hitit: i like my old mommas. :love:

brettg
06-08-2005, 10:41 AM
haha well shes a lot better than the old one, lol.

ya its true boyd just isn't smart, u cant expect one guy to do it all, it would have been ok if the crazy deadlines were only once in a blue moon but every car they do is like that, that why guys snap and quit.

Daxin
06-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by GSR Zero
I missed out on why Al left. What's the deal with that?

Al said he needed to finally start his own project and ahave a car go 300 miles per hour. But truthfully, he quit cuz he couldn't stand watching these inexperienced yahoo's make so many mistakes building hotrods.

duffspec
06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Gsr Zero your a pimp!!! Thanks for the update man. Sounds like great tv to me.
I think Charlie is a class act always bent over backwards for Boyd, but he always wants more. If I remember correctly charlie's dad died and he was contemplating quiting. The shop was messed when charlie was gone.
Al was the frame guy right? Was it "Beatle Bailey" that left also? (The dude with the chewed hat ) :drama:

sputnik
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
The best character on American Hot Rod is Roy. Total old school bodyman who knows what he is doing.

dj_honda
06-08-2005, 11:22 AM
So Charlie went searching and approached Chip Foose who he had met before. Chip and Boyd were good friends in the past but had a falling out.

IIRC, Chip and Charlie were in contact over the years, but Chip was the one who approached Charlie to paint his third Fiddler award car (which won in march btw). Charlie only wanted to leave to paint the car and then come back but Boyd didnt want that. The fiddler car was technically charlie's debut with Chip, and the Fiddler is basically the most prestigious hot rod award there is so I mean being asked to paint the car is a no brainer.

Other than that, GSR Zeros story is correct. I also wonder what the falling out was due to.

rmk
06-08-2005, 11:27 AM
anyone have any pix of charlie's work with foose?

BokCh0y
06-08-2005, 11:34 AM
i can't remember who al was though.:dunno:

did beetle bailey leave too?

GSR Zero
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Nice I'm at pimp status huh? I think Beetle Bailey also left. Boyd asked Charlie if Beetle was going to leave as well. Charlie said it was up to him, that he had to make his own decision. Since that episode there is no mention of Beetle so I'm assuming he's gone too.

DJ_honda, you're right about Charlie's dad. That episode Charlie got the bad news but still stayed late, very late before he left. If I remember right he stayed overnight to paint the "Junkyard Dog". He left for his dad's funeral and actually came back sooner then expected to help out with the body alignment and body trim. Charlie is a class act! :thumbsup:

Dumb question, what does IIRC mean?

rmk
06-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Nice I'm at pimp status huh? I think Beetle Bailey also left. Boyd asked Charlie if Beetle was going to leave as well. Charlie said it was up to him, that he had to make his own decision. Since that episode there is no mention of Beetle so I'm assuming he's gone too.

DJ_honda, you're right about Charlie's dad. That episode Charlie got the bad news but still stayed late, very late before he left. If I remember right he stayed overnight to paint the "Junkyard Dog". He left for his dad's funeral and actually came back sooner then expected to help out with the body alignment and body trim. Charlie is a class act! :thumbsup:

Dumb question, what does IIRC mean?

if i remember correctly, if i recall correctly :)

just looking through chipfoose.com and i noticed that he has a car called the 'boydster 2' ouch!

nismodrifter
06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I watch the show every week and yeah you can see how bad of an employer Boyd is.
Swedish dood stuck up to him and asked him "ok so if we have to be here exactly at 8, then we leave exactly at 5?" haha.

oh and for whoever was wondering who Al was, Al is the dood with the huge mustache that knew everything.

egmike
06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Looks like the shit is going to hit the fan in the next episode with the 35 coupester, the preview shows duane flying off the handle !

rmk
06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
lol, anyone remember when the canadian bubba was working with the little mexican and they got the forklift stuck in the building and took a chunk of the wall out? then duane comes and it shows him wheeling it out from a distance calling them morons. :rofl:

GSR Zero
06-08-2005, 03:29 PM
And who could forget Bluebear. I'm kind of glad he is gone. I think they showed his ass crack on every episode.

BokCh0y
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
bluebear is gone?

i haven't watched the show for a while, Boyd just pisses me off with his attitude towards his staff.

Primer_Drift
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
^^
I hated watching that idiot (bluebear), sooo glad hes gone.

Gotta agree with Sputnik here though, Roy is the man.. He's the grumpiest guy I have ever seen. He doesn't take shit from anyone (pretends to sleep when Duane is going nuts at everyone else), leaves and arrives when he wants and generally can run circles around anyone in the sheetmetal department without even trying.:bigpimp:

brettg
06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
oh without a doubt roy knows more than anyone in that shop, he may be a bitter old man but he knows his stuff.

and as far as bettle baily i saw him on this show with charlie doing work for foose, so ya he left with charlie. which if you as me is for the better no doubt.

Hash_man
06-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I watch the show every week and yeah you can see how bad of an employer Boyd is.
Swedish dood stuck up to him and asked him "ok so if we have to be here exactly at 8, then we leave exactly at 5?" haha.

Lol, that was good... he has a kid, and has to get his kid to school, and doesnt want her waiting outside the school, which makes sense IMO, boyd was being a dumbass, expects them all to be there exactly at 8 and stay until shit is done.

I totally agree with the people leaving, charlie, beetle baily, and al... boyd has his rediculous deadlines which would make it unbearable... hot rod's arent supposed to pumped out in a couple weeks, they take time.

BokCh0y
06-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
^^
I hated watching that idiot (bluebear), sooo glad hes gone.

Gotta agree with Sputnik here though, Roy is the man.. He's the grumpiest guy I have ever seen. He doesn't take shit from anyone (pretends to sleep when Duane is going nuts at everyone else), leaves and arrives when he wants and generally can run circles around anyone in the sheetmetal department without even trying.:bigpimp:

:werd:

i hated bluebear. he's a fuckin clown. good he's gone.

brettg
06-08-2005, 10:03 PM
he was a clown theres no doubt about it but he kept the mood in the shop light, he just didnt no when to stop, he was one of the only people that could make dwayne laugh, granted he was able to piss him off better than anyone as well but he was good at having fun. either way he wasnt a real big part of building the cars, easily replaced.

TrevorK
06-09-2005, 08:24 AM
I think Chip used to work for Boyd, which is why Boyd has it out for him (in a sense).

GSR Zero
06-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Here's a link with some history of Boyd and Chip:

http://community.discovery.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/3211946096/m/267100364/p/1

It looks like Chip was Boyd's President of Hotrods by Boyd's back in the early 90s. Makes you wonder if Boyd is where he is at because of Chip. :dunno:

Rowdy
06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
OK funniest episode of that show had to be the one where Roy takes the young guy, the one that had the nasty car accident that left his face muscles screwed up, Roy takes him to his favorite bar, in preperation for a big party. Roy is the official ass painter, all these fat old broads line up for Roy to paint letters on there bare asses, and the young guy has to hold the fan while there butts dry. OMG i was in pain I laughed so hard, the young guy had know idea what kind of life old Roy had going on outside of work.

GSR Zero
06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy
OK funniest episode of that show had to be the one where Roy takes the young guy, the one that had the nasty car accident that left his face muscles screwed up, Roy takes him to his favorite bar, in preperation for a big party. Roy is the official ass painter, all these fat old broads line up for Roy to paint letters on there bare asses, and the young guy has to hold the fan while there butts dry. OMG i was in pain I laughed so hard, the young guy had know idea what kind of life old Roy had going on outside of work.

haha, yup, that one was hilarious. Who knew Roy was such a ladies man!

Anyone catch the episode when Roy used his welder to blow up a styrofoam cup? hahaha :thumbsup:

rmk
06-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Rowdy

:werd: :werd: :rofl:

brettg
06-09-2005, 11:55 PM

Anyone catch the episode when Roy used his welder to blow up a styrofoam cup? hahaha :thumbsup:

He can be one of the funniest guys on that damn show, i luv it when they use the welder and get someone in the ass when there bent over doing something, must just hurt like hell!!

GSR Zero
06-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Anyone catch this weeks episode? I think things are getting worse. Dwayne had a low blow comment against Charlie. He said his buddy (can't remember his name now) works unlike Charlie. Come on now! Charlie was the hardest working out of the bunch.

Daxin
06-16-2005, 10:17 AM
The new body guy's name is Vern. I think Vern is going to quit soon. HE doesn't seem pretty happy about rushing and working hard while the other boys go out and play.

BokCh0y
06-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Anyone catch this weeks episode? I think things are getting worse. Dwayne had a low blow comment against Charlie. He said his buddy (can't remember his name now) works unlike Charlie. Come on now! Charlie was the hardest working out of the bunch.

fuk yeah i saw that episode. they were working on this one hot rod that needed paint asap but it was raining right? finally once the rain stopped or slowed down they rolled it into the paint shop and duane was yapping to some older dude about getting the car painted - that's when he looked at the camera and said something on the lines of "unlike charlie, this guy actually works"

duane = cock sucker

brettg
06-16-2005, 03:42 PM
that was such a BS comment to make, no one worked haredr around there than cahrlie, some nights he wouldnt even go home, and would paint right through the night just to finish on time, without him they would have missed a few deadlines foresure.

Stephen81
06-16-2005, 08:53 PM
boyds deadlines get more and more ridiculous but hey that's what makes the show more interesting i guess, as long as more people don't quit. charlie was awesome doing the paint when he was there! i think it's funny to watch Chip Foose on that other car show and see how much work he does then see Boyd stand around in his stupid hawaiian shirts doing fuck all:rolleyes:

brettg
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
ya no shit ha, foose is like right in there doing half the work himself and boyd pretty much stands around 99% of the time looking stupid. its pretty easy to see that foose is miles ahead of boyd, i mean lets face it boyds own employes dont even like working for him!

GSR Zero
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Makes you wonder why Boyd would want to keep doing this show. I mean, you would think he actually watches the episodes.

brettg
06-17-2005, 08:29 PM
he keeps doing the show cause its probably the cheapest advertising ever, think how much it would cost to reach as many ppl he does with this show, i mean everyone hates him but most of his cars are awsome. this way anyone can tune in and watch the show and hear about some of the work he does and see the final product, even though he is a total tool his crew for the most part is good and produce good stuff. its all aboout advertising, id say as long as he continues to do well he will still do the show, if business started to decline because of it i et the show would be off faster that you could imagine.

BokCh0y
07-10-2005, 01:15 AM
i finally saw the episode where charlie left tonight. i must say the way boyd handled charlie leaving - totally unprofessional. boyd is such a prick. wouldn't even shake charlies hand......

:thumbsdow to boyd coddington.

GSR Zero
07-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Now they are playing the re-run of the competition between Boyd and Bluebear. This is where Bluebear gets fired.

BokCh0y
07-13-2005, 10:07 AM
oh bluebear was canned? i thought he left on his own terms? oh well i thought bluebear was a cock anyways.:dunno:

ex1z7
07-13-2005, 10:45 AM
I thought Chad was fired because he was being too much of a cockface to Boyd.

Boyd, in nearly every episode with Chad would always say "I've been doing this for a long time..." or "I've been building cars since before you were born.." It's just funny how defensive he gets when he doesn't do sweet fuck all. I've never seen him pick up a tool yet.. Oh wait I saw him remove something on that 1929 model T...Thats about it.

Foose didn't "steal" or "poach" anyone off Boyds team. He noticed that Charlie had talent and wanted to borrow him. I think if Foose knows Charlie has no where to go he might employ him, I think he was happy with the job Charlie did on the car he helped Foose with, right?

That show is funny to watch just to see how bloody angry it makes me for people like Duane and Boyd, who are cocks.

rmk
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
foose is an artist and boyd is a businessman.

brettg
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Foose is straight up the best at what he does. some of the cars he puts out are absolutly unbelievable. Boyd is an old crabby asshole. he may have been the best but now there are to many other people doing to many great things. the cars they produce are still top end, just not on the same level as some of Fooses cars. His 56 chevy is probably the nicest car i have ever seen. anyone else see that????