PDA

View Full Version : Banff Question

GreyFox
06-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Some friends and I are heading up to Banff in about 2 weeks, and I just have a quick question for you guys or gals that have been up there before.

We are planning on hiking up Sulphur Mountain (the one with the gondola), and we just want to know how long it takes. I've been reading on the internet and I've heard everything from 1.5 hours to 5 hours. Also, is it fairly challenging? We were planning on going to the actual summit, which is only like 200 meters from where the gondola lets people off right? Thanks in advance.

One more thing, any suggestions as to cool things to do while in Banff? After the hike and the free gondola ride down, we're hitting up the hot springs for a little bit, shopping around and just walking around....and then we were going to go clubbing at Aurora but its not open on tuesdays :thumbsdow

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Once again, thanks in advance!

fast95pony
06-08-2005, 02:18 AM
I've taken the Gondola a few times , and the hike up looks quite challenging to me . It looks very steep in places. You would need good boots and not be scared of hights. I would say 2-3 hours.

The hike from the top of gondola ride to the summit is quite easy , about 15-20 minutes max .

duffspec
06-08-2005, 07:13 AM
The hike up is sweet! I enjoyed it, but make sure that you know the gondola shut down time. We were like at the last stretch and I hear the gondola shut down. That was ass and it was getting dark. On the way down my girlfriend bust her foot. I think it will take about 2 hours . :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
06-08-2005, 07:33 AM
If you don't have a national park pass, I recommend that you buy an annual pass and then sell it afterwards if you don't make regular trips out to Banff. Save yourself a lot right there.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/tarifs-fees_E.asp?park=1

Also near the east entrance to the national park going into Banff, there's an X-band radar beacon that's on constantly and sets off your radar detector unless you program out that band.

rmk
06-08-2005, 07:51 AM
there's another club off of banff avenue that seems to never ever close... used to be called outtabounds, but they changed names. wrap dat shit up yo, banff is seriously the std capital of canada!! :drama:

duffspec
06-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Johnson Canyon is a great place to hike to. The first stop is the water falls and then the ink pots. :thumbsup:

GreyFox
06-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Anybody else hiked up the mountain? Talked to a guy at work today and he said it took him 5 hours to get to the top.... so its not the time that worries me, its the inconsistency.

Kobe
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
it takes like 10min in the gondola man, it looks like it would take a LONG time 2 hike...

We got this far up the mountain in about an 1 1/2 hours.

We were going pretty fast, stoped only once or twice..

http://img202.echo.cx/img202/4793/hike4tu.th.jpg (http://img202.echo.cx/my.php?image=hike4tu.jpg)

O yah this is also another Mountain, it was at the Two Jack Camp Ground..