PDA

View Full Version : Bought a car that might have been in an accident...SUGGESTIONS

bigbadboss101
06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
No I didn't take the car in for an inspection (mistake), and seller said car hasn't been in any accident that he knows of. I took the car in to get it tuned and the shop phoned me back saying it looks like the car has been in a front end collision. He put it up on a hoist and showed me a couple places that look like have been welded (I can't tell). I also noticed that the front wheels are not centered in the wheel well. By that I mean they seem a bit further back than usual, more room in front of the wheel than behind.

Since this is a safety issue, I should have a case? This was a private deal, and conditioned 'as is'. Someone told me 'as is' doesn't matter. Car is originally from Ontario, and the registration shows 'Active'. But a car can be salvaged or written off without going thru insurance, hence not be recorded? I plan to take it in to a frame shop to get it checked.

Suggestions and comments?

markymark
06-08-2005, 09:11 PM
I always thought it was buyer beware and that was that. It could be possible that the seller didn't know of the accident as well and it was from before he owned it. Thats a shitty thing to happen though. Have you contacted him to tell him that his car was in an accident? I dont know if anything will come of it, but its what I would do. As well as having the urge to kick the guys ass.....

nhlfan
06-08-2005, 09:14 PM
if he specifically said that it hadnt been in accidents, you can take him to court. seriously, phone a lawyer tomorrow.

EK 2.0
06-08-2005, 09:17 PM
To be fair to the original owner...maybe he/she didn't know if there had been an accident.

Xtrema
06-08-2005, 09:34 PM
The question is, do you know where the preivous owner lives? Driver infos?

What kind of car is it? Are you getting a really good deal? I just don't see what'll make me to forgo inspection on a used car from Ontario unless it's 1/2 the market value.

live and learn I guess.

If this car is over 10years old, it'll need to get a inspection and it'll fail if your mechanic is right. So your car is basically undrivable, no matter if it has previous insured or not.

Now the suggestion:

Give the guy a chance and see if you can get your $$ back (slim chance). Then consult with a lawyer. Gather all the ads you've collected for this car use it as evidence.

2.2vtec
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Would you buy this car if he said it was in an accident and it was reported?

rmk
06-09-2005, 02:39 PM
why would you sue or take him to court? there was no inspection done on the car and you signed the dotted line on the contract that was sold 'as is'. live and learn, happened to me awhile ago on my first prelude and i was fucked, but i could only blame myself for being impatient and stupid. see how much it will cost, or if it is even worth it and pay out of your own pocket.

did you check the vin with the registry? if it is tagged as being in an accident, then the owner must know something.

what kind of car is it?

bigbadboss101
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
I got a 2nd opinion (another mechanic) and took it into a frame/suspension shop. He told me 2 control arms are bent, and the struts are toast. Need to do a 'pull' as the wheels are set back. I don't know the lingo and not sure what the exact process is for that. Anyways, he said there weren't definite signs of collision, and with the registration info. showing active, I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt and accept the likely fact that the wheels did hit a curb or something causing it to set back. Gonna put a few $ in to get that stuff fixed.

infected
06-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Maybe find the guy you got it from and see what you can work out to find the original owner.

Fire_chickin
06-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Tough one. IT's the risk you run when buying a used car without an inspection. I have heard though that there is still a case when a car is sold as is. If someone wants to really cover their ass they have to sell it "as is for parts". You might have a case but it's probably not worth the hassle. The lawyer will cost more than the repair if you lose. Just learn from it.