PDA

View Full Version : Colbolt SS

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 07:02 AM
So last night, I was driving my girlfriend home at around 11:30. I live in the Hamptons and she lives in Bearspaw. So we are going along Country Hills Blvd. when this black car passes me. When it gets in front of me, I see that it is a black Colbolt SS. After seeing this, I was curious. We both turned onto Stoney Trail and then onto Crowchild. On Crowchild, we did a little race from I think 80 or 100 km/h, not too sure.

He raped me.

Not a surprise though. I kinda figured that would happen. I just wanted to know how BADLY he would take me. That thing is pretty fast.

Either the guy that drives this is a good driver or this is faster than the SRT-4.

Anyway, I think this guy might be on the forum, if so then props to the car.

VetteRacin
06-10-2005, 07:27 AM
there about the same as an srt 4, maybe just a touch slower

TurboZombie
06-10-2005, 07:47 AM
The car is slower than the srt4, cobolt ss is rated at 205 hp and 200 ft-lbs torqe. Srt4 is rated now at 230hp and 250 ft-lbs trq.

sabad66
06-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Maybe it was my cousin. He just bought one of those 5 days ago. Were the windows tinted dark?

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 08:44 AM
I couldn't really tell. I only really focused on it on crowchild where there are no lights. It might of been. He turned right at Twelve Mile Coulee road, wherever that leads.

brandon
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
It might of been B-Spot he is on these forums.

YamaLube
06-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by TurboZombie
The car is slower than the srt4, cobolt ss is rated at 205 hp and 200 ft-lbs torqe. Srt4 is rated now at 230hp and 250 ft-lbs trq.

SRT-4 faster slower cobalt lighter bla bla bla, here is some info so we can stop the debate..........

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Supercharged
0-60 mph, sec 6.0
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.5 @ 98.2
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 115
600-ft slalom, mph 69.0

2005 Dodge SRT-4
-60 mph, sec 5.5
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 13.9 @ 101.9
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 112
600-foot slalom, mph 66.6

But for the record, the "neon" is ugly, dated, and handles worse then the cobalt (note slalom), Motortrend said it best....."Even with its deep front air dam, big wheels, hood scoop, and racy rear wing, the SRT-4 can't hide its Neon roots."

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 09:21 AM
True!!!

My Dad and I were on our way home from work yesterday and I see a silver SRT-4. When we get closer I see that it isn't one. It is a silver SX 2.0 with the body kit of the SRT-4 and the hood scoop and they spoiler. It still had those crappy wheels.

What I find is funny is the fact that a lot of people (including myself) will say that the SRT-4 is still a Neon. Some may disagree and that is their choice.

The funniest thing about this is that there was nothing done anywhere else to the car. At first I thought it was an SRT-4 but I got ahead of it and saw no intercooler. Then it got ahead of us and then it still had the crappy Neon exahust where as the rear bumper for the SRT-4 has cutouts for dual exhaust.

Man I was laughing the rest of the way home!!

bspot
06-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by brandon
It might of been B-Spot he is on these forums.

That was me indeed :)

Thanks for the run though, I was curious too how they'd stack up against each other, and you are the first person that has actually stepped up to run with me (besides a sunfire trying to race me on 17th ave :rolleyes: )

I had no idea when to start though... haha it was so dark I couldn't see anything and I was trying not to cheap you.

P.S. You've got a headlight out ;)

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
Yeah I know. Right now I am a ONE EYED GRANDMA....

I am curious were you going to race from the lights if I was going straight?

bspot
06-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi
Yeah I know. Right now I am a ONE EYED GRANDMA....

I am curious were you going to race from the lights if I was going straight?

Yup, I was gonna go straight through once I saw the light turn yellow and then just turn around at the next intersection hehe. It would have probably been closer from a stop because I can't get traction worth shit in first gear.

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Yeah that would of been sweet. Thing with my car is, that I can never spin the wheels from a stop. I don't think it is because my car is weak, because I do go speedy from a stop.

Another thing. Your brake lights are freaking bright man!!

bspot
06-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BubbaSTi

Another thing. Your brake lights are freaking bright man!!

:rofl: Good to know, I just thought I'd slow down before I smoked a deer.

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
LOL If I'm not mistaken, BubaSTi you were driving a 99 grand am right?

First off if you were even if your car is a GT it is not fast period.

bspot: of course your going to beat a bigger car with less HP than you, chances are his car is an auto because I don't think the V6 came in 5 spd,(correct me if I'm wrong) Even if it was a V6 5 spd it would only have 170 HP @ the crank. I don't understand how you could be curious if your car would beat a grand am, if anything you should be curious about talons, SRT-4's, WRX, etc.

Not bashing you just questions? :thumbsup:

heavyD
06-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by TurboZombie

Those numbers don't mean the Cobalt is slower. I have a R&T comparision of the two and the Cobalt was a tick slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile posting almost identical numbers.

The Cobalt IMO is the better buy as the SRT-4 will be discontinued soon and replaced by a new car based on the Mitsubishi GS platform with the new 4-cyl engine developed buy Mitsubishi, Hyundai, & Chrysler. This means that support for the SRT-4 will shrink in the future. Cobalt is almost as fast looks better inside and out and I'm sure the aftermarket will take to it.

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 09:56 AM
It's all good. I know my car isn't the fastest but it can go pretty fast off the line. And my car is the fastest of my friends!!

Although one has a Civic :barf: and the other has Geo Metro :D (good for bagging the hell out of it)

Even though I do like my car, I would like to get a different car before the end of 2006.

heavyD
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

bspot: of course your going to beat a bigger car with less HP than you, chances are his car is an auto because I don't think the V6 came in 5 spd,(correct me if I'm wrong) Even if it was a V6 5 spd it would only have 170 HP @ the crank. I don't understand how you could be curious if your car would beat a grand am, if anything you should be curious about talons, SRT-4's, WRX, etc.

It would be a bad move to be curious of my Eclipse especially if it's not from a dead stop. I can pull 200 km/hr in 3rd gear.

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

It would be a bad move to be curious of my Eclipse especially if it's not from a dead stop. I can pull 200 km/hr in 3rd gear.

K well lets just say bone stock to bone stock lol

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Another thing I have always wondered about my car is the top speed. Yeah it is limited to 175 km/h but that is at about 4000 RPM in 3rd gear. I always wondered what it could go to.

And if anyone wants to, they can say what car I should get next. I would prefer a new one, not a used car.

sputnik
06-10-2005, 10:03 AM

The comparision is so close it is almost unnecessary. Besides how many people buy a tuner car with plans to race it occasionally and keep it stock.

Download the GM Ecotec Tuner Manual and bump that Cobalt up to 1000 hp!

:burnout:

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Is yours a V6 auto, V6 5spd, 4cyl auto, 4cyl 5spd???

heavyD
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM

I can't remember what bone stock was like as 70% of the drivetrain is EVOIII or aftermarket. LOL

BubbaSTi
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Mine is the v6 auto

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:07 AM
probly would top out around 230 ish

brandon
06-10-2005, 10:10 AM
they are governed at 170.

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Ya but hes wondering what it would top out at without the governor!

Aleks
06-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by bspot

That was me indeed :)

Thanks for the run though, I was curious too how they'd stack up against each other, and you are the first person that has actually stepped up to run with me (besides a sunfire trying to race me on 17th ave :rolleyes: )

I had no idea when to start though... haha it was so dark I couldn't see anything and I was trying not to cheap you.

P.S. You've got a headlight out ;)

Come to Race City man. I'll run ya! :D Seriously it's 25 bux and it's tons of fun! And you'll get official numbers and breakdowns telling you how well you're doing and where to improve!

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Come to Race City man. I'll run ya! :D Seriously it's 25 bux and it's tons of fun! And you'll get official numbers and breakdowns telling you how well you're doing and where to improve!

Lol ya Race city kicks ass, I was all into racing on the street, but a couple tickets later I decided that maybe I should try race city! For 25 bucks you get an actually light tree to tell you when to go, not some fag who thinks hes organizing shit. You get an official time slip for you bragging rights not just a couple people saying that you beat some other guy. Plus it doesn't get broken up by cops constantly. Also if you happen to crash theres help already there you won't have to wait for help!

bspot
06-10-2005, 10:28 AM

I knew I'd beat him, but I used to drive an n-body myself (Alero) so I was just curious to see how big the difference between them was.

bspot
06-10-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

I'm deffinately planning to go to race city, I wanted to tonight but ended up with other plans. I'm a track virgin though so I'll probably run a 16 or something. :rofl:

JCX
06-10-2005, 10:50 AM

Those numbers don't mean the Cobalt is slower. I have a R&T comparision of the two and the Cobalt was a tick slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile posting almost identical numbers.

The Cobalt IMO is the better buy as the SRT-4 will be discontinued soon and replaced by a new car based on the Mitsubishi GS platform with the new 4-cyl engine developed buy Mitsubishi, Hyundai, & Chrysler. This means that support for the SRT-4 will shrink in the future. Cobalt is almost as fast looks better inside and out and I'm sure the aftermarket will take to it.

You have to be a fool to think SRT-4 aftermarket parts are going to be tough to find after they quit making them. Mopar offers tons of parts and will continue to do so.

Regarding the Cobalt SS vs. SRT-4, stock for stock the SRT should win. The R/T article that had the 2 cars ever (IIRC) also mentioned it was the slowest SRT-4 they'd ever tested and it was clearly not right. When someone ticks off a 13.7 stock in a Cobalt we'll call them equal. I've seen that done with stock SRT-4s on numerous occaisions. I've seen stock 13.8's and 13.9's so many times I can't count them (obviously not in Calgary, I'm talking on a macro level here).

Don't think I'm bashing the Cobalt, I like them alot. If I was looking for a daily commuter I think they are a good value (though the price does not include an LSD or Recaros). The interior is pretty nice in them, as it should be because they are a brand new model. The problem is that the supercharger is going to inherently limit the power output. There is a company looking to twin charge, I'll save comment on that idea.

BTW, there is an SRT-4 dyno day going on this weekend and we'll have a Cobalt SS there. It will be nice to see the results. :)

B-Spot, when do you plan to hit Race City? I'm really eager to see what these little devils will run.

P.S. I think the Cobalt SSs are very hard to find at the moment.

JCX
06-10-2005, 10:54 AM

I'm deffinately planning to go to race city, I wanted to tonight but ended up with other plans. I'm a track virgin though so I'll probably run a 16 or something. :rofl:

You should let me know when, I'm a track virgin myself. We can have the "Newbie driver SRT-4 vs. Cobalt SS Challenge". WE'll make fools of ourselves at the same time and both run 16's.

:nut: :rofl:

Z_Fan
06-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm curious too.

Betcha it doesn't crack 15.

:thumbsup:

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Ya post your times when you actually go and race there!!:thumbsup:

bspot
06-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by JCX

You should let me know when, I'm a track virgin myself. We can have the "Newbie driver SRT-4 vs. Cobalt SS Challenge". WE'll make fools of ourselves at the same time and both run 16's.

:nut: :rofl:

I'm in for that! I'd be willing to go in the next couple of weeks.

Z_Fan
06-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Race City is open tonight for Secret Streets.

Bring it out and give it a good thrashing! Both of you guys should put your car through the paces.

heavyD
06-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JCX
You have to be a fool to think SRT-4 aftermarket parts are going to be tough to find after they quit making them. Mopar offers tons of parts and will continue to do so.

You think a short 3 year run of a vehicle that sells in small numbers is going to have a ton of aftermarket support 5 years later I believe you will be the fool. Yes some aftermarket vendors will support it but I don't think alot of companies will put a ton of R&D into them once they are a few years out of production and as you can see by looking in the mags that companies are mostly into the latest & greatest vehicles. I just don't think the SRT-4 was/is around long enough or enough to have long staying power.

Remember the SRT-4 is a good car not a great car. After the engine there is nothing redeeming about the car at all. This is coming from a person who generally likes them.

JCX
06-10-2005, 04:16 PM

You think a short 3 year run of a vehicle that sells in small numbers is going to have a ton of aftermarket support 5 years later I believe you will be the fool. Yes some aftermarket vendors will support it but I don't think alot of companies will put a ton of R&D into them once they are a few years out of production and as you can see by looking in the mags that companies are mostly into the latest & greatest vehicles. I just don't think the SRT-4 was/is around long enough or enough to have long staying power.

Remember the SRT-4 is a good car not a great car. After the engine there is nothing redeeming about the car at all. This is coming from a person who generally likes them.

I realize the sun doesn't shine out of the SRT-4's tailpipes. However let's think of a few things. They still make Turbo Dodge parts for cars nearly 2 decades old. Even though the production number is relatively small (not sure, maybe 25K or so?), most SRT-4 owners do modify their cars.

I agree there will probably not be a heck of a lot more R&D but I'd argue there needs not be. Mopar stage 3 has turn key 300/350WHP with exhaust. Bolt it on up to 350/400WHP. There are also a number of companies putting out aftermarket turbo kits. There is perhaps a small void in terms of tuning, but AEM EMS is supposedly on it's way. Parts are there to get north of 500WHP, so I don't know as much more is needed for R&D. Even with respect to suspension, there are already options for most needs IMO. :dunno:

JCX
06-10-2005, 04:17 PM

I'm in for that! I'd be willing to go in the next couple of weeks.

lol. We'll have a cripple fight.

I need a helmet. :rofl:

Edit. I'll have to talk to the Cobalt dude I kinda know this weekend to see when he plans to go. We can maybe arrange a dumbestic shootout. :guns:

gpomp
06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
sweet, i'd like to see a cobalt ss at the track.

bspot
06-10-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by JCX

lol. We'll have a cripple fight.

I need a helmet. :rofl:

Edit. I'll have to talk to the Cobalt dude I kinda know this weekend to see when he plans to go. We can maybe arrange a dumbestic shootout. :guns:

Is it JaseZ24?

JCX
06-10-2005, 04:48 PM

Is it JaseZ24?

Probably, he's friends with one of the SRT-4 guys. His is red. I gave his car a quick look over and it's pretty sharp. He came out to a meet we had recently. Nice dude, he's supposedly going to be coming to the dyno day this weekend.

izzoblitzo
06-14-2005, 06:58 PM
I like these cars! it's too bad the four door doesnt look anything like the coupe though.. I mean.. at LEAST the rear end can look similiar if not the same.. There was a red one at the meet I think two weeks ago... it's pretty sweet.