PDA

View Full Version : Brits to charge drivers for driving

rmk
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
insurance, gas, the vehicle itself,etc...... now this??? yikes :drama:

http://cfcn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/scfcn/CTVNews/20050609/car_charges_uk_050609/World/story

Phy
06-10-2005, 09:58 AM
The plan is to fit vehicles with a sensor that can be precisely tracked by satellite technology. Then, each month, the vehicle's owner would be sent a bill based on the exact distance driven.

Y'know, in light of the bill they had against wearing hoodies or hats in public, this is making me want never to go to Britain.

~Jody Nicole~
06-10-2005, 10:03 AM
That's crazy!

Paying up to $10 000 a year just to drive to work?!?!

Man, am i glad i live in Canada

2000_SI
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
The Brit's think up some dumb shit sometimes, but this has got to be one of the worst so far.....

The only cars on the road are going to be porsche's and Aston Martin's, because thier owners are going to be the only ones who can afford to drive....

JAYMEZ
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Well being born a Brit , I should know more than most of you , there is way to many damn drivers... Try driving in London during rush hour , its pathetic... A driving toll could be a good idea , the transit system is awesome , and should be used more often.

euro tang
06-10-2005, 10:58 AM
I’m sure it wouldn’t take long for someone to invent some kind of interception device or hack into the hardware in order to disable it from sending out information. People always figure these things out sooner or later.

pitwipe
06-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Glad I don't live there any more. Canada rocks :thumbsup:

DannyO
06-10-2005, 12:31 PM
This is pretty fucked up, but I've lived there most my life and can say that there are WAY to many cars, think double the amount in Canada, now fit them all onto something like Vancouver Island.

cman
06-10-2005, 09:17 PM
werd to jaymez and danny, having been there numerous times over my life, i can honestly say London's regular traffic is like deerfoot with 1 lane closed at 4pm on a friday of a long weekend.
ALL THE TIME!!!.
i thought there was already a toll for driving in DT London as it was? heh who knows.

Khyron
06-10-2005, 10:10 PM
If it's really that bad, then why do people keep driving? I mean if it really takes an hour to drive 5km, you would think people wouldn't bother. But if it still takes an hour to get there via other ways then instead of charging for driving, you make the other ways seem more attractive.

I be interested to see how they'd ensure the transmitter stays untampered and unjammed.

Khyron

Xtrema
06-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Public transit is awesome and there isn't really a need for a car just like any major cities (NY, HK, Tokyo etc)

Drive by mile make most sense. Other type of taxes overcharge too much.

cman
06-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
If it's really that bad, then why do people keep driving? I mean if it really takes an hour to drive 5km, you would think people wouldn't bother. But if it still takes an hour to get there via other ways then instead of charging for driving, you make the other ways seem more attractive.

I be interested to see how they'd ensure the transmitter stays untampered and unjammed.

Khyron

i wondered the same, i just hopped on the tube or bus. way more efficient. infact their network or transit is pretty incredible.

TheBenzo
06-12-2005, 02:15 AM
Easy to build a tamper proof antenna.. the police have them in Dallas.. when I went on a ride along they asked if I knew how to jam it.. no way and they would put some sort of shit on it to check for tampering.