PDA

View Full Version : HELP --->Best Speakers for reasonable price

PeDe
06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
I am lookin to buy some new speakers for my car, and get the old ones out. The ones that are in right now are 5 1/2, 6 1/2 xplods. I used to like the sound of them but after awhile I noticed that they were getting a little bit scratchy and fuzzed... So I checked my wireing and every thing was good.. To make a long story short, I now need some new car speakers that will handle alot of power and not take a chunk out of my wallet. I heard about Infinities and was wondering if they are any good as well..

Will take everyones sugestions.
Thanks
Garry

Weapon_R
06-10-2005, 09:42 PM
How much can you spend? Infinity is about the best you can buy, unless you really want to spend big bucks.

PeDe
06-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Well I was lookin at

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10044457&catid=20114#

And then

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10040373&catid=20114

Im not sure if those are as good as

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10027689&catid=11043

I am not too knowledgeable when It comes to car audio, I jsut knwo how to put em in!! :D

jdmakkord
06-10-2005, 09:52 PM
Stick with the infinitys out of those three, they will be the crispest, clearest sounding of the bunch.

Weapon_R
06-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Do they have to be purchased from there? Have you considered buying online? For that amount, you can get some amazing speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4555195661&category=26455

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7980202998&category=38646

If you do not want to buy online, i'd consider the last ones. They are crystal clear speakers but they lack the bass that you will probably want.

PeDe
06-10-2005, 10:16 PM
I have a couple of 12" Infinity Subs in the back So would It balance out? Cause I dont want Some speakers that cant handle bass too well because they will sounds like shit when they are pounden? wont they? I have no clue I need some more opinions!!!
:confused:

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
Stick with the infinitys out of those three, they will be the crispest, clearest sounding of the bunch.
:werd:

I would go:
1. Infiniti
2. JBL
3.RF

BlkMaxima
06-10-2005, 10:22 PM
These sound good as well! Around same Price!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10058396&catid=11043

Weapon_R
06-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by PeDe
I have a couple of 12" Infinity Subs in the back So would It balance out? Cause I dont want Some speakers that cant handle bass too well because they will sounds like shit when they are pounden? wont they? I have no clue I need some more opinions!!!

Subs will give you the bass you need. I used to have those exact infinity's, and even when I amplified them, they dont give any decent bass at all.

pikamonk
06-12-2005, 12:12 AM
Personally... don't buy off of futureshop if you don't have to. Car audio is marked up so rediculously. Whats your budget? (Sorry, didn't even look at the links. Just... speakers from FS = Ugh) lay out a budget, I can do some hunting for you... but the best bet for you to do is go around to some local shops, listen to speakers... see which sounds best to YOU and then get 'em ;). If you think the store is rediculously priced... search on the internet you can usually find a hefty discount when you do that. But support the little guys if you can ;) Their expertise is often worth the extra money you pay. Buying from futureshop is just raping you in every oriphice :P.

jdmakkord
06-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by pikamonk
Personally... don't buy off of futureshop if you don't have to. Car audio is marked up so rediculously. Whats your budget? (Sorry, didn't even look at the links. Just... speakers from FS = Ugh) lay out a budget, I can do some hunting for you... but the best bet for you to do is go around to some local shops, listen to speakers... see which sounds best to YOU and then get 'em ;). If you think the store is rediculously priced... search on the internet you can usually find a hefty discount when you do that. But support the little guys if you can ;) Their expertise is often worth the extra money you pay. Buying from futureshop is just raping you in every oriphice :P.

Car audio anywhere is marked up, what makes you think futureshop is the only place that makes a profit? Check visions and soundsaround some day:rolleyes:

brainlessbiker
06-12-2005, 06:21 PM
come talk to me or ryan at derdall designs and well hook you up with a nice set of speakers.

derdall designs
225-0474

googe
06-12-2005, 06:34 PM
^^not cool to advertise your business without paying dude

i recommend going to see Jeff at autotemp in the NE. he'll kill any price futureshop/best buy/visions/soundsaround etc quotes you (and he has a clue what hes talking about unlike most of the big chain salespeople)

Truckguy
06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
if you come into the car salon I can show you a few choices, at a reasonable price.

GSR Zero
06-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Head over to Audio Concepts and talk to Jason. He'll be able to give you some great advice. I picked up a set of the Hertz speaker line for my rears and would recommend them. Good price too. :thumbsup:

pikamonk
06-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Car audio anywhere is marked up, what makes you think futureshop is the only place that makes a profit? Check visions and soundsaround some day:rolleyes:

Did I state anywhere that I said Futureshop was the only place? No. I felt that by saying "Car Audio is marked up so rediculously" it was a fairly general statement. How futureshop also gets you is their BS salesmen who, so far in shopping, I have never met one that had any knowledge greater than a 16 year old kid fresh with his civic and a pair of RF subs he paid way too much for. My buddies extended warantee on his amp proved pretty much useless as they decided to not even look at it for 5 minutes without charging him for an hour fee (I know most places should be better, but CS in Prince George is horrible)

Also, buying off the internet should have tipped you off that indeed I am trying to find him a good deal. You can often find prices half of retail, but as I also said, buying from a knowedgeable local store is priceless as long as they actually know what they're talking about.

krippler312
01-24-2006, 07:37 AM
I am looking at MTX thunders with tweeters for my front, and eclipse speakers for the rear, no subs or amp yet?

what do you think?

I was told they were pretty high end speakers.... but I dont find them too pricy...

thanks!

krip

krippler312
01-24-2006, 07:41 AM
The MTX speakers are mid range with tweeters

EG_Civic
01-24-2006, 08:33 AM
i got some alpine type r coaxials

krippler312
01-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Think the MTX thunders mid range w/ tweeters would pound decend w/out any sub?

I dont particularly need a sub... I just want some base

Jonathan@TCS
01-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, The MTX do sound good, and you can get a pair of 6 1/2 Components for only $249.

Come in to the CAR SALON, and you can have a listen.

krippler312
01-24-2006, 09:33 AM
If I didnt live in ontario I would! But I am only getting the 5 1/2 i think.... I dont want to resize m speaker holes.. haha

are they worth 249 though?

or can I get them somewhere cheaper?

Jonathan@TCS
01-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I have had customers from Winnipeg come in, so Ontario isn't that much further!

Anyway, yeah they are definetly worth $249. As for finding them cheaper, maybe you will find a sale, but you probably won't find them online.

What kind of car do you have, cause I would definetly try to go with 6 1/2" if at all possible. You may as well get as much midbass as possible.

Twinkie
01-24-2006, 03:54 PM
dude go with the type R's there not too bad in price they can handle the power. im running the 6 x 9 in the rear with my 2 12's type r's and they dont get drowned out ever

djayz
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM
go with the infinitis if you have subs already

if you dont have subs get the mtx components for 249...they occasionally go on sale for 199 so keep an eye out

or if you want to save quite a bit of money go with pioneer speakers. Great speakers for a great price

Speed_69
01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by EG_Civic
i got some alpine type r coaxials
since when? you liar! haha

Originally posted by Twinkie
dude go with the type R's there not too bad in price they can handle the power. im running the 6 x 9 in the rear with my 2 12's type r's and they dont get drowned out ever
you have to consider that he is looking for 5 1/4" & 6 1/2" speakers. Alpine no longer carrys 5 1/4 type-r's since 2004 and the 6 1/2" type-r's have a huge mounting depth. the components have a 3" mounting depth and the coaxials even have 2 3/4". only a certain amount of vehicles are going to be able to fit that.

My suggestion, go with a nice set of jl audio speakers. Amazing clarity and reasonably priced. Not as much bass like speakers such as the alpine type-r's but you have two 12" subs so they should balance out fine.

Jonathan@TCS
01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
If you have two 12's, then you aren't looking for low bass, so listen to the speakers, and see which ones sound clear to you. I personally find the JL, and the Type R's both kind of Muddy sounding. ( Not Clear at All )

krippler312
01-26-2006, 07:44 AM
I have a 2002 hyundai accent GSI, both front and back are 5 1/4"

Not what I want really, but I dont feel like making the mounts bigger..

I am not a huge fan of lots of subs, or several... I think I just want a very nice speaker system, and maybe one 10" sub.

Quality over bass. no rap for me!

krip

Jonathan@TCS
01-26-2006, 10:45 AM
To get a quality sound, you do need BASS as well. I am not talking about 4 15's, but definetly go with at least 1 10". All music is recorded with a bass line, so you want to be able to reproduce all frequencies in your car when you are listening.

If you really want a quality sound, check out the MTX High END Components, or Boston Acoustics Pro Series. Definetly not Alpine or JL.

Speed_69
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Jonathan@TCS
To get a quality sound, you do need BASS as well. I am not talking about 4 15's, but definetly go with at least 1 10". All music is recorded with a bass line, so you want to be able to reproduce all frequencies in your car when you are listening.

If you really want a quality sound, check out the MTX High END Components, or Boston Acoustics Pro Series. Definetly not Alpine or JL.
Everyone has their different opinions about car audio. Shouldn't really be telling people what to get and what not to get. In my opinion, I find Alpine and JL to be awesome for the price. Before I bought speakers, i checked out MTX components and coaxials and I didn't really like them at all. I got to admit that MTX Audio subs are crazy tho! just shop around and listen to everything and base your choice on your own personal preference, not others.

krippler312
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I know I need bass, I have my own band and all that fun stuff.... I just dont want two big 12"ers in my trunk and all I can hear is boom boom, or rattle rattle.

I think one 10 inch would be more than enough... And I think anyone that doesnt listen to a single stitch of rap would almost agree!!

But, all in all, its all personal preference... But I think for an awesome quality system, It should be a good set of speakers with one sub.. IM not sure what speakers im going to buy yet, But I like the MTX thunders in the front, and my eclipses in the back so far.

krip

yohan4ws
01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
wow talk about pulling this from the dead ...

If you want good component speakers, check out some CDT audio gear ...
the 6 1/2 components will give you more bass than you could imagine or believe.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/classic2000MidDriv.htm

I got mine from Thezeb.com for $150 US long ago ... they are nutty. Problem is they shake the shit out of my doors, hence the sub'll do all the basework for me.. even for high / mid range these things are still awesome! (130watts RMS)

handsomebassman
01-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Yea, buying from the store is a joke these days, the markup is rediculous. I do alot of business through these guys.

http://sonicelectronix.com/

UNbelievable deals on amps/subs/speakers/whatever else you desire.

thetrousertrout
01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Goto Visions and check out the ultimate brand in speakers. They are actually a pretty decent speaker, without the brand name price tag. these guys make speakers for JBL and such, so they are good speakers.

I picked up a pair for my doors, and in all honesty, they are great.

best part is, they come with a 2 year over-the-counter warranty so they are standing behind thier product.

Jonathan@TCS
01-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Everyone has their different opinions about car audio. Shouldn't really be telling people what to get and what not to get. In my opinion, I find Alpine and JL to be awesome for the price. Before I bought speakers, i checked out MTX components and coaxials and I didn't really like them at all. I got to admit that MTX Audio subs are crazy tho! just shop around and listen to everything and base your choice on your own personal preference, not others.

I agree everyone has different opinions, and I am only offering my opinion based on the experience I have working in the industry for the last 5 years.

As for the MTX, I agree, I wasn't excited about their older stuff, but their new stuff is awesome. Even if you aren't buying speakers right now, you should come in and have a listen.

As for those who are shopping, definetly shop around, and listen to as many as possible with your own CD's.

Now a comment about buying on-line. BE VERY CAREFUL, I have had so many customers who come in for installs with stuff that doesn't work. I ask them where they got it, and if they can return it or get warranty, and they tell me no. They bought it on line, and can't return it. Some of them even at places that promise to have warranty, but they blame the customer for the problem, and refuse to honour it.

WWJAI
01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
^I was looking at these before at visions and just by the look...i thought they were gonna be a shitty brand because the sales guy told me they were made in Canada...but i guess they must be ok

good stuff at visions...but i gotta say BOOO!!! :thumbsdow for their customer service at the one on 32nd ave...especially the asian guy..seems like he knows nothing about car audio

thetrousertrout
01-31-2006, 02:28 AM
yeah, ultimate speakers are not pretty, but overall, and factoring the price, I give em a 7-8/10

yohan4ws
01-31-2006, 10:09 AM
I was interested in a pair of ultimate speakers one time, thing is the 5 1/4's weren't actually 5 1/4" . they were like 5 3/4" and wouldn't fit into the factory speaker mounts.. have they fixed this issue?

WWJAI
01-31-2006, 10:20 AM
^i think many speakers have this issue ..where when you install..you have to cut out the brackets