PDA

View Full Version : Driving without insurance

redline_13000
01-18-2003, 03:27 PM
hey guys..my friend just got his class 5...would he be able to borrow his parents car and drive it without putting his name on the insurance? if he got stopped would anything happen to him? thanks

kaput
01-18-2003, 03:29 PM

Weapon_R
01-18-2003, 03:30 PM
No nothing would happen to him. As long as the car is insured then anyone can drive it. The cop usually will ask whose car it is, tell em its your moms, and he'll be like "Take it home to her" or something like that.

If he gets into an accident though :). Thats a different story.

___2PaC___
01-18-2003, 03:31 PM
nice...so after his name is in the insurance with his parents, he can drive the car and would only have to pay $60/month, thats a real good deal:thumbsup:

max_boost
01-18-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
No nothing would happen to him. As long as the car is insured then anyone can drive it. The cop usually will ask whose car it is, tell em its your moms, and he'll be like "Take it home to her" or something like that.

Yup, its the same situation as when we drive our friends cars ..... we don't have insurance on that vehicle but the main concern is that the vehicle has some sort of insurance plan:thumbsup:

ramminghard
01-18-2003, 04:49 PM
I thought that the person driving the car also had to have some sort of insurance

GTS Jeff
01-18-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by max_boost

Yup, its the same situation as when we drive our friends cars ..... we don't have insurance on that vehicle but the main concern is that the vehicle has some sort of insurance plan:thumbsup:

thats only true IF the driver is over 25 and if the driver has consent of the insurance policy holder.

kaput
01-18-2003, 10:00 PM

___2PaC___
01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
OH OK.......

SmelltheRubber
01-19-2003, 01:50 AM
I got in a accident when I only had a learner's license and was not insured for my parent's car. I usually have good luck with cops, so all I had to do was to go down to the station and pay a $175 ticket for illegal driving. You can be fined up to 2500 bucks or something, but it all depends on the attitude of the cop.

Edit: oh and my parent's insurance covered it.

Adica
01-19-2003, 03:37 AM

:werd: the insurance company would try to refuse to pay if you got into an accident because you live in the same household. if you plan on driving ANY vehicle in your own household you will have to be added onto the insurance plan.

Adica
01-19-2003, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R

thats only true IF the driver is over 25 and if the driver has consent of the insurance policy holder.

we can drive any of our friends cars as long as you have a valid class 5 and the car is insured. but if you are unfortunate enough to get into an accident and is your fault, the insurance company will still have to pay up but your buddy will have to suffer the consequences with his/her insurance policy (ex. premiums going up).

James
01-19-2003, 04:59 AM
What were to happen if i being only 19 and only having basic PL/PD on my own Car, were to get in an accident that was my Fault while driving one of my friends Cars that has full coverage on it?if i had full coverage on my car, im sure i would just get pinned with the expenses, which would make sense, but since i dont , what would hapen??....Since i dont drink, i have done this many times where my friends have been intoxicated, and i am Fine, so they let me drive thier Car Home which makes sense.....and im sure the police wouldnt have a problem with this seeing as my friend would be drunk and i am sober. :dunno:

Stratus_Power
01-19-2003, 11:49 AM
I always thought that you can drive in anyone's car without your insurance under their name.. but if you get into any sort of accident, your friend would have to be response for everything because the car is under HIS insurance... as long as the driver has a license and the car has an insurance under whoever then it should be fine..