PDA

View Full Version : Posting in old threads

FiveFreshFish
06-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Some n00bs have been bringing up old threads inadvertantly.

When someone is going to post in a thread with the last post being over X week/months old, can you make a page to which they're redirected that says "Are you sure you want to post in this old thread that is X weeks/months old?" and gives the option to go ahead if they really want to?

I suggested previously to lock old threads while retaining them to be searched and viewed but nothing became of it.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29581
Ben originally came up with this same idea in my thread awhile ago but he suggested a pop-up, which may be blocked by browser function.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29581&postid=711384#post711384

Kobe
06-11-2005, 03:30 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90463

This will block it our a bit probobly

Redlyne_mr2
06-12-2005, 02:05 AM
Yeah pretty good idea. I would at least like to see the option to bump an old thread. Some of the oldest threads are the best that have ever been on Beyond and are good for a laugh every once and a while. The 2 year old for sale threads and car arguments need to go though.

streetarab
06-12-2005, 09:37 AM
maybe delete all of the old useless threads, the ones that are absolutly meaningless, or those that never recieved many replies

iceburns288
06-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Because it would take way too much time to go through all the old threads one-by-one.

The problem that I see is that if you bump an old thread, people complain. But the alternative to that is just reposting, which people also complain about. There's no way out.

I say just let it happen, if they bump old threads why not just let them die? They already died down once and they're gonna do it again. Bumping an old thread is better than creating a whole new one to waste Beyond's bandwidth.

FiveFreshFish
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
Because it would take way too much time to go through all the old threads one-by-one.
It can be triggered automatically by elapsed time. Nobody has to go through each post unless you wish to volunteer on a trial basis. ;)

The problem that I see is that if you bump an old thread, people complain. But the alternative to that is just reposting, which people also complain about. There's no way out.
I think people are more inclined to read and post in a new thread versus one that has many posts in it. Besides, time changes many factors so new threads contain new info, plus input from new users who never saw the old thread.

Honestly, would you read through all the old posts in an old thread bumped just so you can make sense of what the last guy posted?

I say just let it happen, if they bump old threads why not just let them die? They already died down once and they're gonna do it again. Bumping an old thread is better than creating a whole new one to waste Beyond's bandwidth.
If you bump an old thread, the first page has up to 40 posts on it already and all will be sent to the user's browser. That will use more bandwidth than a new thread. I'm suggesting to lock an old thread from new posts but allow viewing, and if someone wants to link to it, then they certainly can.