PDA

View Full Version : optical / coaxial (home theatre)

Khalil
06-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey guys.. a few questions..

is 'optical' for sound or video?

and 'coaxial', sound or video?

here is what I have...

a dvd player with:
S video out
coaxial out
optical out
and regular a/v out

a vcr with:
regular a/v out

a tv with:
one audio (L/R) out
one a/v in

a HK avr 635 receiver.

Now, I'm trying to see how the best way to set all this up with the best (with what i have) sound and picture quality.

Since there is only one regular video into the tv, that is settled.

Any help here would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Khalil

jdmakkord
06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
optical and digital coaxial are both for dolby digital sound only.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Optical coaxial (Toslink) uses fibre optic cable to transmit the sound signal. This way, there's no possibility of interference, no matter how long the cable is, since it's light. the only way to interrrupt the signal is to actually break the fibre optic cable.

I use optical for my setup, since there's no interference, and it transmits anything quite well. PCM, AC3, and pure digital streams all can be run through the Toslink connection.

soupey
06-11-2005, 11:32 PM
i use optical for my setup, but the coaxial has no noticeable sound quality difference...

Khyron
06-12-2005, 12:35 AM
The uber audiophiles claim that coax has better low frequency response - I have no idea how this would matter since they're both digital. And I think optical has a shorter maximum run length, but that should only concern you if you have a big projector that's like 25+ feet away.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend using coax from the dvd to the receiver, and save the optical for your Xbox/ps2/digital cable box. If a device only has one connection it tends to be optical.

Khyron

jdmakkord
06-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
The uber audiophiles claim that coax has better low frequency response - I have no idea how this would matter since they're both digital. And I think optical has a shorter maximum run length, but that should only concern you if you have a big projector that's like 25+ feet away.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend using coax from the dvd to the receiver, and save the optical for your Xbox/ps2/digital cable box. If a device only has one connection it tends to be optical.

Khyron

Shitty thing is that almost all manufacturers are switching over to coaxial instead of optical. Take a look at any new DVD player, and its coax.:banghead:

GTS Jeff
06-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
optical and digital coaxial are both for dolby digital sound only.

Or any other digital audio...like digital stereo, dts, etc..

heavyD
06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Remember when it comes to digital optical or coaxial, get the cheapest cable available. Cable quality, gauge, materials, only affect analog voltage signals not 1010111010110100010 signals.

Khyron
06-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Remember when it comes to digital optical or coaxial, get the cheapest cable available. Cable quality, gauge, materials, only affect analog voltage signals not 1010111010110100010 signals.

There is some advantage to buying better than cheapest, just for connector strength and the proper degree of shielding. A wimpy toslink cable can be damaged if bent quite easily.

But paying 100 bucks for Monster digial cable (or Monster anything) is pointless.

Khyron