PDA

View Full Version : 240sx

fluid
06-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Do you guys think this is a good deal???

89 Nissan 240SX, 213km, 5spd, red color, grey/black interior, some rust, $2000 obo

how bout this..
89 Nissan 240sx, rusty, needs motor, $500 obo
How much do you guys think this will cost to fix up?

If anybody knows on any good deals on cars please inform me

Thanks

240droptop
06-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by fluid
Do you guys think this is a good deal???

89 Nissan 240SX, 213km, 5spd, red color, grey/black interior, some rust, $2000 obo

If this is the one i'm looknig at then no lol

how bout this..
89 Nissan 240sx, rusty, needs motor, $500 obo
How much do you guys think this will cost to fix up?

depends how rusty were talknig about go check it out if the frae is rusty strut towers things like thta then no but if its a bit of rust here and there then yah maybe and as for fixing it it can be cheap if you jsut want to put another ka24e or ka24de in it. Are you mechanicaly inclined at all if not it will cost a bit more to get a shop to do it.

fluid
06-11-2005, 10:44 PM
do you know how much it might cost to get tht new motor, i heard it might cost around 1000-1200, is this right?

thanks

any other input

Speed_Dreams
06-12-2005, 03:52 PM
you can get an Sr20DET for like 3000 why not go turbo?

A790
06-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams

Every shop I've talked to is $4000 with install.

braden883314
06-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Install it yourself, there is lots of good tutorials on the net, i bet a smart monkey could do it, why not u? You dont even need much or any mechanical experiance.

PS. Go CA18DET!!!

~Braden

fluid
06-13-2005, 09:03 AM
Alright thanks for the input everybody

Anybody have any other idea for wht i should do?

Also, does anybody know someone who is selling a Nissan Silvia,
i want one of those badly

Thanks

Speed_Dreams
06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Alright thanks for the input everybody

Anybody have any other idea for wht i should do?

Thanks

:werd: join the club im really leaning towards getting one insdead of boosting my motor in my car

freakin
06-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
$2,430 at JDM Source

Originally posted by braden883314
Install it yourself, there is lots of good tutorials on the net, i bet a smart monkey could do it, why not u? You dont even need much or any mechanical experiance.

PS. Go CA18DET!!!

~Braden

Just curious about this comment. Why a CA18DET over an SR20? I friend of mine just bought a 240 and had one of the cam gears shear off because the shop that just did the timing chain replacement forgot to tighten the bolt. He's leaning towards an engine swap instead of fixing it and figured the only options worth doing were getting a used KA24 for dirt cheap or sucking it up and doing the SR20 swap now (was planning on doing it over the winter). Is the only advantage of the CA18 it's price? For an extra $500 or so it seems like the SR20 would be worth the extra money.

Please enlighten a Nissan n00b.

240droptop
06-13-2005, 05:09 PM

Thanks

hey contact importconcern there a reliable company an dthey have resnable prices or go to www.worldcarlink.com i've heard good things from them and I know a couple people who have gone threw them very well or you could email Rob parsons not sure what his beyond name is but he always has a extra silvia or 180 sumething lieing around and if he dosent already have it hes good at finding them his emails [email protected]
Import concern would be the safest route there realy reliable and a few guys on beyond can vouge for them.

braden883314
06-13-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by freakin

Just curious about this comment. Why a CA18DET over an SR20? I friend of mine just bought a 240 and had one of the cam gears shear off because the shop that just did the timing chain replacement forgot to tighten the bolt. He's leaning towards an engine swap instead of fixing it and figured the only options worth doing were getting a used KA24 for dirt cheap or sucking it up and doing the SR20 swap now (was planning on doing it over the winter). Is the only advantage of the CA18 it's price? For an extra $500 or so it seems like the SR20 would be worth the extra money.

Please enlighten a Nissan n00b.

Price and an iron block, but its also being different, really i would just like to see more people pro CA, but if want high power potenial, then you should probely stick with SR or a higher swap, the CA is power, no doubt about it, a few bolts on and your right up there with SR's. You could spwnd that $500 and be right up there with the SR, + you already got some bolt ons. Honestly there huge advantage. Its a good stong engine, parts are harder to come by which is probley the major draw back, but you can get the majority of the engine parts at pick your part, and at a parts desk, early Pulsurs came with the CA18DE.

~Braden

240droptop
06-13-2005, 05:58 PM
ca? sr? I sa RB26DETT muhahahahahaha :rolleyes:

fluid
06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Well i e-mailed some people, and im looking for replys soon so i can fiqure out wht im going to do

Thanks for the replys ppl

If anybody has more ideas on wht i should do, feel free to help out

fluid

dymz999
06-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Reasons you do not want a CA.

1. all CA engines from japan are now very old and regardless of what people tell you will have fairly high mileage, most are around the 80k to 100k mark.

2. The CA was not engineered to sustain the same kind of horsepower rating as its big brother, the SR. Simply put the SR is beefier.

3. The extreme lack of aftermarket bolt on parts in North America for the CA compared to the SR.

The reason the SR is so good is simply because it was designed to take the higher power. In stock form the engine is just okay in my opinion.

The plus on the CA is they can be had for as little as $1600 CDN for a full clip.

Lo)2enz0
06-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by dymz999

1. all CA engines from japan are now very old and regardless of what people tell you will have fairly high mileage, most are around the 80k to 100k mark.

2. The CA was not engineered to sustain the same kind of horsepower rating as its big brother, the SR. Simply put the SR is beefier.

3. The extreme lack of aftermarket bolt on parts in North America for the CA compared to the SR.

The reason the SR is so good is simply because it was designed to take the higher power. In stock form the engine is just okay in my opinion.

The plus on the CA is they can be had for as little as $1600 CDN for a full clip.

BRING IT ON!!!!

I totally do NOT agree with any of these statements

statement #1 - unless you buy a black top s13 or a s14 sr20 chances are you red top will have around 70-100k on it. Most cars in japan rarely exceed the 100,000km mark and to me thats still not that bad.

statement #2 - The ca18 was engineered to sustain alot of hp. there are ca's out there that are running 350hp on stock internals. Most sr20's need a bit of work to hit that mark. This is a reason why the rb series was based on the ca18...

statement #3 - Sure there isn't a readily market for the ca18 in north america but any company like hks, greddy/trust, tomei can all supply you with aftermarket parts.

The ca18 is looked down on because of the power difference due to the lower displacement but they are excellent engines. If you do look into them you will see why people choose them over sr20's.

Zephyr
06-13-2005, 11:24 PM

EHHHH debatable topic

1. true, hard to find good engines, but still obtainable with relatively low milage in comparison with its age

2. Yes it can take high horse power, it is known as the "mini RB motor" i think its an iron block and takes boost like nothing. 450 whp like nothing, and its an high reving engine 9k +

3. nope. you can use some rb parts on the CA and i forgot there was another engine you can use parts from.

SR and CA debate is hard. but when it comes down its price, versus longevity and market support

86max
06-14-2005, 07:23 AM
The only people who are pro-CA are the ones who already have one and want to make themself feel better, or who have been told that they are better by someone who's trying to sell them one. If they had an SR it'd be the other way around. No point bickering about which is better, they're both good motors.

dymz999
06-14-2005, 09:50 AM
Your saying SR motors need support at 350whp? Last i checked the guys at enjuku had run one motor at 400whp on stock block and stock head. I do not know many motors capable of doing that without changing cams, valve springs, valves and everything like that. The SR motor doesn't need much of anything until you start pushing the 450whp on a constant basis. At that point you need a good set of pistons and rods. The record on the stock block is around 525whp, the head was of course modified.

On a side note, and i mean this. why the hell would you even consider buying a CA18 when you could just turbo a KA24DE motor and have something better without swapping an engine? That is how i look at it. KA-T engines are capable of doing so much because of the crazy torque.

Of course they are both good motors, they have the word "nissan" written on them. But when a person is looking to make performance i would think this engine would only come into play if you had an 89-90 engine otherwise it would be my 4th choice of the engine i would go with.

86max
06-14-2005, 10:37 AM
The record on the stock block is around 525whp, the head was of course modified.

I think some guys in the states beat that with 660whp or something crazy like that, I'll try to find the dyno sheets.

Lo)2enz0
06-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by 86max
The only people who are pro-CA are the ones who already have one and want to make themself feel better, or who have been told that they are better by someone who's trying to sell them one.

ouch....ha ha ha

but I am not saying that the ca18 is better than the sr20. They both have there pro's and con's which is why this discussion is always on going. Personally I prefer the ca18 over the sr20 and yes there are days (like yesturday) I wish I bought a sr20. But the person who sold me the engine didn't force me into buying a ca18 by saying they are better, he was actually telling me to just go with the sr20. I think the sr20 is a great design but in the ned nissan figured out that for the cost of the production of the ca18 they weren't putting out enough power and this is why the switched to the sr20. They figured out how to build the engine for a little cheaper and still put out a good amount of power.

I just hate it when people bash the ca18, cause its a great engine. I would have loved to see nissan make a follow up thats still a inline 4.

dymz999
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
only problem now is all the post sr20det 4 clyinder engines have been garbage. The Ca18 is an alternative, but why, just why would you pick it over the Sr20. I'm not kidding when i say it is kind of puzzling.

the 660whp one had a 100 shot of nitrous on the stock block so i dont really count that. impressive that it held though. most are approaching high 500hp range now on stock block and crank and it holds, scary as hell in my opinion. I'd be really curious to see what an SR22DET with a Jun stroke kit could handle.

Zephyr
06-14-2005, 01:24 PM

On a side note, and i mean this. why the hell would you even consider buying a CA18 when you could just turbo a KA24DE motor and have something better without swapping an engine? That is how i look at it. KA-T engines are capable of doing so much because of the crazy torque.

KA just suck period. its a truck motor, and will always be a truck motor. safest amount of power is like 200 ish, after that its just horribly expensive. a lot of mixed reviews on the KA-T. and you cant boost high

86max
06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

KA just suck period. its a truck motor, and will always be a truck motor. safest amount of power is like 200 ish, after that its just horribly expensive. a lot of mixed reviews on the KA-T. and you cant boost high

oH Snap! Boost_Infested better not see this!:devil:
:rofl:

Lo)2enz0
06-14-2005, 05:10 PM
only problem now is all the post sr20det 4 clyinder engines have been garbage. The Ca18 is an alternative, but why, just why would you pick it over the Sr20. I'm not kidding when i say it is kind of puzzling.

the 660whp one had a 100 shot of nitrous on the stock block so i dont really count that. impressive that it held though. most are approaching high 500hp range now on stock block and crank and it holds, scary as hell in my opinion. I'd be really curious to see what an SR22DET with a Jun stroke kit could handle.

Man, I am just defending the ca18 and your just slamming it in the ground. maybe I should get the ca20det Tomei stroke kit and see what it can handle..ummm

there is a group of us out there that prefer ca18's over sr20's. The fact that they have a smoother ride at higher boost and they are still great daily drivers. To me, my goal is 250hp to the wheels out of my little guy. Honestly anything else would be cool but I would like something that I can drive in the rain.

Let me finsih with this, cause this is the last time I will post. The sr20 is a great engine and has great aftermarket suppost with us products but some of us like to be different. i do enjoy a ride in a sr20 car every once in a while but there is nothing like my little bratty bitch, who take's money from me and only appriciates me for a little while.

As for the ka24de-t I need a little bit more help in the boost department right now to keep up with that beast.

braden883314
06-14-2005, 05:28 PM
The only people who are pro-CA are the ones who already have one and want to make themself feel better, or who have been told that they are better by someone who's trying to sell them one. If they had an SR it'd be the other way around. No point bickering about which is better, they're both good motors.

lol i bet u can all guess wut i own. I compleatly agree, if your looking for really high power go SR, or RB. If you want something reasonable and different go CA. They all go pretty fast. I wasnt tryin to start a big arguement, i just thought i would throw anouther option in.

Originally posted by Lo)2enz0

Man, I am just defending the ca18 and your just slamming it in the ground. maybe I should get the ca20det Tomei stroke kit and see what it can handle..ummm

DO IT :thumbsup:

~Braden

Zephyr
06-14-2005, 08:50 PM

oH Snap! Boost_Infested better not see this!:devil:
:rofl:

yea, after i posted this i thought to my mind.. "shit! someone on beyond has one..."