PDA

View Full Version : RX-7 FC3S worth it?

Zephyr
06-12-2005, 12:53 PM
i found a turbo II FC3S 1987 i think. the engine right now has 150K+ miles on it, its burning a little bit of oil and needs some water seals replaced? i have no clue about rotaries.. but yea, it can run just smokes up like a mother. interior is clean, body is straight, rust forming on the paint. and ignition problems at times.

person is asking for 700 flat US.. anyone think this is worth it if i go through a rebuild with it?

CryoCarnage
06-12-2005, 01:02 PM
if the body is straight, go for it. The rust shouldnt be a problem either. If you do go through with a new rebuild and paint job, you could pass it off for about 5.5k IMO.

AsianCaucasian
06-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Very much worth it. I would snap it up in a second.

Zephyr
06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
a total rebuild should fix most problems? i heard rotaries r just expensive to keep.. overall the outside is clean, its silver paint but the car use to be red, there is a dent on the passenger fender

A790
06-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Rotaries are just as reliable as anything else so long as they're maintained. They need just as much maintenance as any other turbocharged car.

I say that you go for it.

JAYMEZ
06-12-2005, 08:50 PM
I would say go for it dude :thumbsup:

chris
06-12-2005, 08:54 PM
aren't rotaries supposed to burn a little bit of oil anyways.

Weapon_R
06-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't take it. 700US = 1000 cdn, plus a new engine ~1500US and you have a car that you paid way too much for with that kind of mileage and those problems.

AsianCaucasian
06-12-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by chris
aren't rotaries supposed to burn a little bit of oil anyways.

yes... but it's not supposed to smoke like a motherfucker haha. Means the apex seals are done.

Chris Ng
06-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

yes... but it's not supposed to smoke like a motherfucker haha. Means the apex seals are done.

uuuummmm.. no...

1 of 3 possibilities

1) Turbo is shot.. oil is pushing past the oil seal causing the car to smoke

2) Oil control rings are shot.. would require a motor rebuild to cure..

3) insufficent crankcase ventilation.. Alot of people start removing emissions equipment on these vehicles and just capping various nipples without knowing what they are doing.. capping off the wrong nipples will not allow for crankcase pressures to vent, causing smoking issues..

Broken apex seals will not cause a smoking issue..

If you are purchasing an rx-7, even if motor is running, always plan into your budget for a rebuild to be done in the near future.. unless you know the person selling the car, and/or the full history of the motor, and how it was treated/driven, I would never take the word of the seller as to it's reliability or longevity..

That being said.. if the body is in great shape, along with the interior, and you have the budget to do a rebuild, $700usd isn't an unreasonable asking price for the car..

AsianCaucasian
06-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Chris Ng

uuuummmm.. no...

http://aaroncake.net/RX-7/buy1.htm

Chris Ng
06-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

http://aaroncake.net/RX-7/buy1.htm

#1 - ummm.. is that link supposed to justify the wrong information you posted up earlier?

#2 - aaron cake is a moron.. If I had so much time on my hands to put up a site on the internet on a certain subject, does that automatically qualify me as some sort of expert on the subject? Just like the information that can be found on this fourm, the information on a webpage isn't necessarly valid..

#3 - the only seals mr. cake mentions on the topic of smoking issues are the side seals.. there is a world of diffrence between side seals and the apex seals which you mentioned in your last post as being the problem..

#4 - a stuck or broken side seal will only contribute to a smokeing problem if the oil control rings are worn or damaged .. Side seals hold compression on the rotor face.. the oil seals hold the oil from entering the combustion chamber...

#5 - again, mr. cake is a moron

Zephyr
06-13-2005, 12:21 PM
holy jebus ...why r rotaries so freaking different... ugh im like trying to figure out how much to get the sucker moving without problems..