PDA

View Full Version : Power cable color guide?

Super_Geo
06-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I accidentally melted the head on one of my extention cords, so now I have to cut it off and hook up a new head. When I cut open the cable, it has three colors of wires: white, green and black. It's a 3 pronged plug, does anyone know which color is for which prong on the plug? Thanks

spike98
06-12-2005, 04:28 PM
not 100% sure so others please conferm. but i think white is hot, green neg and black ground.

doublepostwhore
06-12-2005, 04:29 PM
green is ground, black is neg and white is hot.

Celica TVS3
06-12-2005, 04:33 PM
haha - you've got to love conflicting advice. I would drive down to home depo. and ask someone in the electrical section.

BlkMaxima
06-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
green is ground, black is neg and white is hot.

I'm gonna have to agree!!:thumbsup: lol But if its wrong you will know!! I'm about 99% sure!

Davetronz
06-12-2005, 05:18 PM
White = Hot
Green = Ground
Black = Neg

Super_Geo
06-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys!

doublepostwhore and BlkMaxima were right on the money :thumbsup:

97GSR
06-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Thanks guys!

doublepostwhore and BlkMaxima were right on the money :thumbsup:

Actually they were wrong but because you were dealing with 120VAC it isn't that big of a deal. For future reference here is the correct color code

Black - Hot (copper screw)
White - Neutral (silver screw)
Green - Ground (green screw)

Super_Geo
06-12-2005, 09:11 PM
How is it possible for everyone to disagree on this?? :dunno:

Zero102
06-12-2005, 09:19 PM
The advice above (black hot, white neutral, green ground) is correct. Just check the canadian electrical code, it's right in there :)
Or, if you feel like having a little fun, black is ground, green is hot ;) Make sure it's on a metal-framed appliance though.

If it's a DC system, traditionally, black will be ground, which is where this stuff is coming from, people then assumed that since it's ground in DC, it will be neutral in AC, and so on...

worm
06-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by FastDak318
White = Hot
Green = Ground
Black = Neg

I'm fairly certain that this configuration is correct but if your in doubt just use a multi meter and check which wire goes to where at the opposite end of the cord.

Rufus``
06-13-2005, 12:58 PM
black is ALWAYS negative. white is hot, and your green and brown are ALWAYS your ground.

BebeAphrodite
06-13-2005, 01:08 PM
ha ha ha
this is funny
a lot of conflicting advice.

sputnik
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Today's modern (North American) mains cable consists of three separate wires: black, white, and green. The green wire is always connected to the large ground pin on the plug. The black wire is always considered to be the "hot wire". The white wire is always the neutral or common wire.

Nufy
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by FastDak318
White = Hot
Green = Ground
Black = Neg

That is correct.

I do this stuff for a living.

Don't know about any one else......

Rufus``
06-13-2005, 02:44 PM
dude its not that hard. i failed out of engineering and i know this stuff. im not even that good at it lol

97GSR
06-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Wow I hope some of you aren't wiring anything...at all :P
In a 120V AC system the white is always considered to be the neutral wire, unless it is run as a "switch leg", but I am not going to confuse anyone with that. Green is your ground, and the colored conductor is your "hot lead".

In a DC system the black is usually considered your negative lead, while a white or red wire is the positive. This is where everyone is getting confused I would assume....hope this clears everything up.

ninspeed
06-13-2005, 09:44 PM
here is a good site http://www.electrical-online.com/howtoarticles/Grounding.htm about 2/3 the way down it will tell you in black and white (and what green is)

Originally posted by Nufy

That is correct.

I do this stuff for a living.

Don't know about any one else......
let me know what company you work for so i know never to use you

Zero102
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
It's scary some of the advice on here...
Black is hot, white is neutral, green is ground, except in switch legs, where a white wire is permitted to be an ungrounded conductor, only to run to a switch from an outlet (i.e. light fixture). Anyhoo, that is indeed beside the point.

black is ALWAYS negative. white is hot, and your green and brown are ALWAYS your ground.

Hey rufus, did you read that this is an AC system? There IS NO NEGATIVE IN AC. In DC, black SHOULD be negative, but in pre-manufactured devices, and the like, any color of wiring is permitted, so long as such devices are not user-serviceable, but that's a whole different matter.
So, black is NOT ALWAYS negative, even in DC systems.