PDA

View Full Version : Closing threads

Hakkola
01-18-2003, 06:46 PM
Is there a more discrete way to close a thread?? I don't think putting a line through it is good, because honestly if I see that I'm more likely to read what's in it. That just makes it being read by more people more likely, adding more fuel to the fire.

I'm just suggesting that maybe close it and don't put a line through the title or just make it dissappear completely.

rage2
01-18-2003, 06:50 PM
you can't reply to it when it's closed, and you'll get banned if you start a new thread discussing it...

buh_buh
01-18-2003, 07:03 PM
yea that crossout thing isn't such a good idea too IMO.

kaput
01-18-2003, 07:11 PM

mrmattyk
01-18-2003, 07:33 PM
If it wasn't crossed out, and you tried to reply (which you may because most closed threads get pretty controversial)... The admins would get tons of PM's and emails that the site wasn't working. I think it's a good idea to cross it out.

Also if you just delete threads and they just dissapear (obviously) without the starters consent, people could get upset.

redline_13000
01-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I have to agree that when I see a thread crossed out, I will read it, and that it usually does give me bad vibes regarding certain members. I'm usually very careful about what I post, and try to avoid bringing these opinions out, however many people are more than willing to wait for the right time to "attack" based on what never was any of their business.

:werd:

rage2
01-18-2003, 07:41 PM
The thread closing is very convienent for me and other mods to review why a thread is closed, and if we should ban anyone for causing trouble.

And yes, I get my share of PM's and emails (which I ignore) when a thread can't be replied to because it's closed.

D'z Nutz
01-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by kaput
I have to agree that when I see a thread crossed out, I will read it, and that it usually does give me bad vibes regarding certain members.

Just another reason why members should be careful with what they say.... Behave yourself and keep from getting threads closed, and you won't look like a dumbass.

kaput
01-18-2003, 08:03 PM

FiveFreshFish
01-18-2003, 08:27 PM
I agree with kaput's observation in that a thread with its title crossed off draws attention.

Can the forum software remove the "post reply" and "quote" buttons, instead of crossing out the title of a locked thread?

Hakkola
01-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Yeah, FiveFreshFish has a good idea. I only started this thread because the crossing out is like an advertisement saying "READ ME!!!" Just because no one can comment it doesn't mean there isn't any damage being done. Crossing out creates a curiousity in the thread making people who might not have read the thread before suddenly become interested to see what the drama is about.

I've never had one of my threads closed and I agree people should watch what they say, but of course this isn't always gonna happen.

I was just putting an idea out to help better the forum, I'm not trying to say you guys are doing a bad job or anything, I don't feel that I'm in a position to critisize, just letting my thoughts be known to see if there's a better way to close a thread.

rage2
01-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Like I said, it's a tool for admins/mods to easily find and review closed threads to see if a ban is needed.

If you don't want attention to your "drama", don't start it in the first place. We're not here to babysit :D.

GTS Jeff
01-19-2003, 03:11 PM
THIS THREAD IS CLOSED!!

haha jk

Hakkola
01-19-2003, 03:25 PM
Hahaha, I was thinkin the same thing :rofl: