PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get this Wire (RCAs on one end, Aux on the other)

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm looking for a wire that has a male AUX on one end, and a male RCA connection on the other. For those wondering why, I want to connect my IPOD directly to my amplifier and play it like that when I don't have my deck turned on.

ninspeed
06-13-2005, 04:40 PM
Futureshop has it for about 10 dollars, its a sterio jack, to"rca"

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 04:42 PM
Great, thanks. Just wanted to know if they existed lol.

ninspeed
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM
yep... i just bought one from monster cable for my XM at home, think i paid about 70$... well worth it compared to the cheep futureshop one i had

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 04:52 PM
In theory, will my idea work? I have two RCA preouts on my amp, one occupied by my headunit right now. If I were to occupy the other preout with the above, and shut off my deck, would this idea work? The only problem I can forsee is how to turn the amp on when the headunit is shut off...

CivicDXR
06-13-2005, 05:04 PM
i don't think this will work... doesn't the amp need a certain type of sound signal? easiest route may be to go with an iTrip (which doesn't sound that great), or a deck with an aux input...

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
i don't think this will work... doesn't the amp need a certain type of sound signal? easiest route may be to go with an iTrip (which doesn't sound that great), or a deck with an aux input...

Neither is really an option. iTrips BLOW, whoever has one and is impressed with it is pretty lucky IMO. Selling my deck and buying another is also a pretty big hassle that I don't really want to take unless I have to (and probably won't just to get my ipod in there).

rinny
06-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Ha, i've done this before with my minidisk when my deck got jacked. It could have just been because of minidsik quality, which it probably was, but the words were hard to hear, and you definately may have to do some adjustment to sound setting such as bass etc to be able to hear the words.

As for your amp, the RCA jacks arent preouts. If you have two sets, generally one set is input, one set is output (i guess you could call this a preout) in which case you can only use the inputs as the music is going IN to the amp, not coming OUT from it. If you only have one set, your better off completely unplugging your RCA's running from your deck and plugging in the RCA cord from the Ipod so that you have stereo, not mono. Its not hard to reach and plug in the other pair from your deck when needed.

And dont get a cord with just the 1/8" headphone jack on one end and only ONE RCA male on the other end. Make sure the RCA end has a red/white pair of males for stereo. I got mine at radioshack.

Hopefully the music will sound better coming from the Ipod than my minidisk, which im sure it will.

CRX-R
06-13-2005, 05:33 PM
How will the amp get the 'remote' signal from the deck to switch on?

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 05:40 PM
That's what im thinking, but i'm also wondering if I can keep the deck on with the volume muted, and use the IPOD to control the volume

CRX-R
06-13-2005, 05:43 PM
The problem I see with that is how will the amp know which signal to use and which to ignore.. Unless you put in a splitter of some kind that's monted in an accessable spot. Then, with the deck on, unplug the rca going to the amp (from the deck) and plug in the ipod?? Kind of like a KVM switch, only low tech :D

djayz
06-13-2005, 05:46 PM
hmm i have an itrip works quite well...very rarely does it get fuzzy and its cool cuz you can use it in any car with a radio

i was gonna try the rca method but since i only have subs hooked up to my amp its kinda useless...too bad they dont make too many decks with an input...it would just make things so much easier

if your running all your speakers off an amp you can just plus the rca's running from the ipod into the amp and as soon as it recieves a signal the amp should power on and it should work....not sure if its that simple but its worth a try

Digital_7
06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
what happens there is the the Deck that control's the Vol. going to the Amp... not the Amp it self that's controling the vol...

it's sorta like this... the More Voltage (vol) going to the Amp the louder it's going to be.

so your vol would be controled by the Ipod it-self.. the Vol on the Ipod. It's worth a try... but I can't promise anything...

The other thing is... make sure it's an INPUT type RCA your pluggin' into .. not and OUTput... Cause if it's an output RCA there's a small chance you could fry your Ipod

HTN SWCHS
06-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by CRX-R
How will the amp get the 'remote' signal from the deck to switch on?

tap the remote wire going to the deck from the amp to the 12v (switched) source from the ignition,

Originally posted by CRX-R
splitter of some kind :D

how about the ones that you can choose between xbox and ps2 and nintendo on your tv