PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Transferability

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
If I have an insured vehicle, and buy another vehicle, can I use my plate from my existing insured vehicle on it to drive it home without worrying about receiving a 'no insurance' ticket? I remember someone stating that this was the case, but I can't find the Alberta statute anywhere.

-KiTtY- boo
06-13-2005, 09:00 PM
ya u can... u have 14 days after u buy the car until the cops will give u a big ticket for not having insurance... just make sure u have the bill of sale and ur insurance and regustration from ur other car... if they pull u over there just goin to say that the plate doesnt match the car and will want to know y

Akagi Redsuns
06-13-2005, 09:01 PM
You can use the plate for up to 14 days, so don't need to worry about registration.

But it is up to you to make sure that the new car has insurance on it. For me, it didn't cost any money to get my new car insured for a few days. Insurance is NOT tied to the plate, or registration. Insurance is on a per car basis. Make sure you are covered.

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
:eek:

Conflicting posts here lol

Akagi Redsuns
06-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
:eek:

Conflicting posts here lol

LOL, just another day at beyond.ca really.

Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo
ya u can... u have 14 days after u buy the car until the cops will give u a big ticket for not having insurance... just make sure u have the bill of sale and ur insurance and regustration from ur other car... if they pull u over there just goin to say that the plate doesnt match the car and will want to know y

What is having insurance from your other car going to prove? Exactly that! You have insurance for another car but not the new car you are sitting in....meaning you are driving without insurance. Unless you already called your insurance company about the new car, but if you did, they would fax or PDF you an insurance slip for the new car.

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
In all respect, I have used my truck on various occaisons with my OWN insurance company using my plate on my civic, and my agent has bonded it for this type of very infrequent use. I don't imagine he does it because he likes me, which is why I am led to believe that there is some type of statute that allows for this.

Akagi Redsuns
06-13-2005, 09:24 PM
If you insurance company knows about it, there is no issue.

If there is something hidden that allows transfers on insurance, my insurance didn't let it be known to me. If someone finds something a link would be great as I have been told that insurance is a per car thing. Didn't cost anything for the temp insurance so I didn't care too much, except for the time to relay the vechile information. I went through the hoops as I didn't want any headaches if I got stopped or some bonehead hit me.

Just responded because I just went through all this recently. Fun fun.

AllGoNoShow
06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Yah Weapon, I just bought a Regal tonight. Called the insurance company this afternoon just to make sure they knew what I was doing, she said sure go for it. Took the plate off the Camaro, threw it on the Regal, drove her home, no issues and passes cops twice, and this thing is loud I was so worried I was going to get a ticket for exhaust on my first night :P

You should be good, just remember to give them a call just so they know what is happening and are ok with it, that way you can't say it was ok if you never called them personally, some agents might be a little picky.

FiveFreshFish
06-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Akagi is right. Make sure you notify your insurance company before you drive the car. They can fax you a pink card to be sure.

-KiTtY- boo
06-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

LOL, just another day at beyond.ca really.

What is having insurance from your other car going to prove? Exactly that! You have insurance for another car but not the new car you are sitting in....meaning you are driving without insurance. Unless you already called your insurance company about the new car, but if you did, they would fax or PDF you an insurance slip for the new car.

the reason i say is because one of my friends was in that situation and i was wit him at the time.. when the cop pulled us over cause the lisence plate didnt watch with the car he asked for the old insurance and registration

Akagi Redsuns
06-14-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo

the reason i say is because one of my friends was in that situation and i was wit him at the time.. when the cop pulled us over cause the lisence plate didnt watch with the car he asked for the old insurance and registration

And he didn't check any paperwork to do with the car that you guys were riding in? I sure hope he did.

So if I bought a Ferrari, slapped my plates on it and I had registration for that plate and insurance for my other car completely unrelated to the Ferrari (like a Ford Fiesta), I would be a'ok if I got pulled over in it?? Very odd.

With a mismatch plate/car information I hope that they would check to make sure I had a bill of sale, verify bill of sale is within 14 days of the current date and insurance paperwork for the Ferrari. Something is wrong with the system if he checks none of that, and just checks the registration and insurance for the Fiesta and then sends me on my way.

-KiTtY- boo
06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

And he didn't check any paperwork to do with the car that you guys were riding in? I sure hope he did.

So if I bought a Ferrari, slapped my plates on it and I had registration for that plate and insurance for my other car completely unrelated to the Ferrari (like a Ford Fiesta), I would be a'ok if I got pulled over in it?? Very odd.

With a mismatch plate/car information I hope that they would check to make sure I had a bill of sale, verify bill of sale is within 14 days of the current date and insurance paperwork for the Ferrari. Something is wrong with the system if he checks none of that, and just checks the registration and insurance for the Fiesta and then sends me on my way.

well i did metion it in my first post.. sorry that i didnt metion it the second time.... but obviously he did ask for the bill of sale... that was the first thing my friend handed to him

Akagi Redsuns
06-14-2005, 12:58 AM
It's late and I forgot you mentioned that. Ooops. Sorry.