PDA

View Full Version : insurance for modified cars

dymz999
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
What companies in calgary provide insurance for cars that have been modified and don't rip you off? I'm just looking for plpd and nothing overly fancy. any ideas and/or price ranges?

MoNKeE
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
dont tell them your car is modded.

Weapon_R
06-13-2005, 09:20 PM
and risk being denied coverage because you didn't declare your highly modified vehicle? Pay the extra premium and have some peace of mind.

jdmakkord
06-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MoNKeE
dont tell them your car is modded.

Then get in an accident, or get ripped off.....then proceed to take it in the ass from your insurance company.

Supa Dexta
06-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Yeah you supposed to tell your company about any signifcant upgrades... That way if you are in an accident, they don't return the car "to the way it was new", they will cover your work... That goes for anything, stereo too..

:)

dymz999
06-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Well the big one on here, is where it asks for "engine modifications". Now would it be reasonable to assume an SR20 is a modification or could that pass by. I only plan on getting plpd since if i get in an accident and its my fault the insurance company isn't going to give me nearly what it would take to rebuild.

Personally i think of engine modifications to be like installation of cams, nitrous kits, turbo kits and jazz like that. I dont think i'm going to tell them its modded though, i can just see problems.

EK 2.0
06-13-2005, 09:44 PM
My insurance company is ING...but my Broker has been a family friend for years, so he does cut us a bit of slack in the insurance rates dept.

Whenever I ask him for quotes for the next car he assumes it will be modded knowing me as well as he does...we argued for over 25 mins that my Civic was gonna be stock...finally I gave in (just wanted to see how long HE would last haha)...

But yeah...he tells me the horror stories of people that mod their cars and get jacked afterwards...for even small things like rims...

Bottom line as was mentioned a few times...pay the premium if you want to be reimbursed for as close to value as you can...

DannyO
06-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Since your going plpd, modding your car won't really effect your premium, as you can have as much $$$ sank into your car, but if you crash it, the insurance company doesn't have to pay, so its only when you go full coverage you will pay alot, the companies now don't look at mods as being bad anymore, and unless you want the shaft, TELL YOUR BROKERS WHAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR CAR, also I HIGHLY recommend you get an appraisal done aswell, you don't tell them that its modded and you get in an accident, they could either deny you coverage, or if they replace your car/parts, it will be with stock parts, or you will onyl get blue book price for the car, if you have an appraisal done and only have plpd, your premium won't go up, but if somebody hits you, your car is covered for the appraised price, your insurance doesn't go up as since your only plpd, the company doesn't care as it will never pay for your car.

Also you can tell them its modded with say I/H/E, and they will take that into account, so your safe....not quite, if you get in an accident, your car will only be covered for a small amount of the price you paid for your gear, as they don't really know how pricey your gear was, this is why you need an appraisal, maybe receipts will help but I dunno for sure, I work for an insurance company at the moment so I know afew things, but I don't work in the underwriting department so I don't know the rules exactly.

but if your cars modded, GET AN APPRAISAL, if your plpd, your premium won't go up, and if you are full coverage, it will go up, but will be worth it if you get in an accident.

88CRX
06-13-2005, 10:11 PM
So should i just give my insurance company a call and let them know i've spent x amount of dollars on my car?

How much do rates go up?

max_boost
06-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I deal with Statefarm and they have a zero tolerance policy with performance modifications. It's one aspect of the policy that they just don't want to deal with.

I also would like to know which insurance companies are accomodating to car modifications, what their prevailing rates are and if anyone has had prior experience with claims.

dabombdale
06-13-2005, 11:13 PM
I never had my stereo under m insurance and when my vehicle got broken into and they stole it I sent the receipts to the insurance company and they gave me my full money back, that was a nice end to a shitty week. I don't know how it works for performance or anything though.

jumperman8
06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Jsut spend the extra money, dont be cheap. My older brother has a B16a turbo swap in his hatch and it only costs about 10 dollars extra a month. So spend a little extra money and know your covered. If you car is modified, get full coverage, not pdpl, casue yoou will regert it if you get in a accident, fire, theft etc.:thumbsup:

rage2
06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
I used both TD and Meloche Monnex, both are mod friendly. I have my Porsche appraised and listed with every mod with pics, dyno charts, and they insure it at appraised value. Costs nothing more, just being honest.

Even with PLPD, if you don't disclose, you can have your coverage denied when you get in an accident. That means the other party will sue YOU for damages. Doesn't happen all the time, but it DOES happen.

trikypenguin
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by dymz999
Well the big one on here, is where it asks for "engine modifications". Now would it be reasonable to assume an SR20 is a modification or could that pass by. I only plan on getting plpd since if i get in an accident and its my fault the insurance company isn't going to give me nearly what it would take to rebuild.

Personally i think of engine modifications to be like installation of cams, nitrous kits, turbo kits and jazz like that. I dont think i'm going to tell them its modded though, i can just see problems.

i asked my agent at ama about my sr20 swap i'm gonna be doing and they said as long as the engine wasn't modded i could put it in my car

DannyO
06-13-2005, 11:25 PM
dabombdale, good to hear you got covered, I know that receipts can help, just not sure what there like under the new rules, also like said, some companies don't want to deal with modded cars, there are certain companies for certain people, what company might give good rates to young people might give shit rates to older people, for me and afew other people I know, we go threw Young & Haggis and our insurance is with ING, there both good, but I have been told Y&H can be very slow to deal with.

To be safe with your insurance company, let them know what your car is like, just like what Rage has done, if you do that, you'd have nothing to worry about if you got into an accident.