PDA

View Full Version : Movie theatre space

dragonone
06-14-2005, 04:34 AM
In places like HK, ppl buy movie tickets with designated and self-chosen spots ahead of time, typically 2-3 days before the initial screening (when it's busy). I seem to like this system because most ppl will get the seats that they want and not something just several tens of inches away from their face.

I kind of enjoy the thrill and excitement of waiting for a movie to come out or waiting in line for a bit, but over an hour before the movie really seems outta whack imo.

any ideas? or maybe i should ask why the system here has lasted so long.

Claeren
06-14-2005, 06:47 AM
In Thailand/Bangkok they had a similiar system and i loved it! You knew your exact seats well ahead of time...

You could also reserve leather lazyboys (And loveseats for two, if such was desirable! Grrr... ), sometimes with message and heat - and usually with a blanket, pillow, and socks as well. Further, and you may be familiar but for those that are not, you got to enter through a VIP lounge where they served complimentary drinks and snacks and had the latest NA magazines to browse (GQ, Maxim, Cosmo, etc). Then when you were shown to your seats they had menu's and wine buckets and if you say ordered hot chocolate, it came in a china cup and saucer.

So frikkin cool....

All for the same price as a regular movie here (~$12)!

It was about $1.50 CDN for the same movie experience as here, but with well spaced velvet seats and pre-selected seats...

Makes you wonder what the basic monopoly over our cinema industry has done to competitiveness here...

Claeren.

FiveFreshFish
06-14-2005, 07:01 AM
You can choose your seat with IMAX movies.

duffspec
06-14-2005, 07:52 AM
Theatre's here suck ass. I hate how dirty, sticky and dusty the places are. The seating position is horrible and in most cases stained or old gum stuck to the cloth of the seats. :thumbsdow

I should buy up an old theater and "pimp" it out rice style, with all the luxury's a nice home has. Loads of foot space, semi reclinable seats and adequate amount of space between people. I hate smelling those nasty F--ks that don't take care of themselves. Word of advice spend the $10 on a bar of soap and deodorant.

If i were to pick a sweet theater in Calgary as for seating would be Sunridge Spectrum

If I were to pick for atmosphere (people) it would be Country Hills & Chinook

I would comment on the Collisium (sp) but i don't go there unless i'm in the area.

dragonone
06-14-2005, 05:55 PM
haha so i guess most ppl agree with me
i thought there was some crazy reasoning behind this stupid system that i was too ignorant to think of

izzoblitzo
06-14-2005, 06:03 PM
I dont necessarily think that's a bad system.. but in the end, I really feel it's first come first served.. I mean, it'd suck if you lined up for an hour/two hours for a movie, and all of a sudden, you cant get the "middle seat" because it's reserved by someone that didnt want to wait, and shelled out more money for it.

I mean, hey, if they wanna pay, they should get what they want, but turning it into something like a concert or sporting event isnt cool at all!

Like, just look at all the people that show up 5 minutes before the premiere of star wars or something hoping to get a good seat (or two seats side by side) impossible!!

dragonone
06-14-2005, 06:07 PM
it's just a different kind of lining up then, perhaps online or an earlier visit to the theatres, it's still first come first served

saves everyone time

and since it's first come first served, there should be no difference in prices

Altezza
06-14-2005, 06:07 PM
In TO, they have VIP rooms that fit 10-16 or so people in large home theatre style seating. They even come to take your order so you don't have to go line up for food outside! I like that system way better even though it costs a few dollars more.

DarkDream
06-15-2005, 02:07 AM
The problem with that system is that people tend to go to movies in groups..... If people have designated seats it may result in alot of single seats.... If the theatre size was larger then maybe it would work better, but it isn't.....hahaha damn...

dragonone
06-17-2005, 12:58 AM
i tend to think that when some ppl want to go watch that movie, they will eventually, more than ppl who just wanna go to the theatres for any movie available
the single seats only give me more room to put my jacket and the gf's purse

Idratherbsidewayz
06-17-2005, 01:58 AM
It all boils down to money. It would cost a lot to set up an operation like that. You wouldn't attract too many more people. The theater owners are happy right now; People are paying outrageous prices for shitty cramped entertainment.

Im sure if someone with loads of money opened an independant theatre that did all that Famous Players would have some problems. We need to find a rich businessman with a grudge against the owner of Famous Players...