PDA

View Full Version : Whey Protein Drink

Mixedasianboi
06-16-2005, 10:26 AM
everyday i work out then right after i go jogging for 30 mins. Is it better to take my whey protein drink right after jogging or take it after working out so i have it in me during jogging?

Z24_3.1
06-16-2005, 10:28 AM
i take mine right after working out but i think you should take it after u run so udont feel full :D but yeah take it after ur done everything

civic_stylez
06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
if you mix it with milk, take it after you run to avoid cramps. milk+running=:barf:

jumperman8
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Take one before you go work out, then take one after you are finished jogging:thumbsup:

~Leah~
06-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jumperman8
Take one before you go work out, then take one after you are finished jogging:thumbsup:

Not really a good idea if mixing with milk though!

Milk takes 4 hours for your body to absorb everything... so if you don't want cramps... you know the rest.

TrevorK
06-17-2005, 12:59 PM
You should be having carbs after working out as well - keep that in mind.

ExRollen
06-19-2005, 05:27 PM
You should be having lots of carbs BEFORE working out, not after. And as for the protein, you should be drinking shakes about 3 times a day, and I would also recommend taking your post workout protein after your jog, because they say you have 2 hours to intake protein after a workout for it to be most efficiently used to synthesize muscle.

BloodBaneZXY
06-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Aiya, poor information much?

He doesn't need to be having shakes 3 times a day, it's supplement, not a staple source of protein. It should be used in the event that real food is not accessible, and carbs should be taken before, and yes AFTER workouts as well.

toyboy88
06-19-2005, 06:02 PM
o man...the whey protein drink from jugo juice is disgusting!! :barf: only time i've tried whey protein thank god :clap:

jumperman8
06-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by ~Leah~

Not really a good idea if mixing with milk though!

Milk takes 4 hours for your body to absorb everything... so if you don't want cramps... you know the rest.

my bad, i kinda figured you woudl know to take the first with water, second with milk, but i shoudl of been more informative.

bulaian
06-19-2005, 10:56 PM
you shouldn't take whey protein with milk because milk adds casein back into the whey mixture.....

whey protein manufacturers take lots of time and effort to purify the whey to be free from casein and other things that will hinder your body's ability to absorb the whey.

if you're going to spend money on a high quality protein, like whey isolate or even ion exhanged whey protein, why would you want to ruin it by adding back the ingredient that they charge you more, to get rid of?

EG STyLeZ
06-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
you shouldn't take whey protein with milk because milk adds casein back into the whey mixture.....

whey protein manufacturers take lots of time and effort to purify the whey to be free from casein and other things that will hinder your body's ability to absorb the whey.

if you're going to spend money on a high quality protein, like whey isolate or even ion exhanged whey protein, why would you want to ruin it by adding back the ingredient that they charge you more, to get rid of?

That's exactly right, and not many people know that. Even though it tastes way better with milk, you're hindering the protein's absorption. Found this on the net somewhere a while ago:

Mixing whey with dairy milk does not provide optimal results

At first, it may seem strange to learn that whey protein should not be mixed in milk or milk products like yogurt and ice cream. After all, most whey protein supplements taste better in milk than in water and whey protein is obtained by collecting the clear fluid (called whey) produced during the processing of cheese.

But let’s consider some of the following facts:

The enzymes necessary to break down and digest milk are renin and lactase. They are all but gone by the age of three in most humans.
There is an element in all milk known as casein and there is three hundred times more casein in cow’s milk than in human’s milk. Casein coagulates in the stomach and forms large, tough, dense, difficult-to-digest curds that are adapted to the four-stomach digestive apparatus of a cow. Once inside the human system, this thick mass of goo puts a tremendous burden on the body to somehow get rid of it.
Unfortunately some of this gooey substance hardens and adheres to the lining of the intestines and prevents the absorption of nutrients into the body.
The most serious difficulty with milk consumption is the formation of mucus in the system. This mucus coats the mucous membranes and also seriously affects absorption.
To fully understand why whey protein supplements should not be mixed with milk, this knowledge should be combined with a review of the technology that goes into high quality whey protein supplements. Whey protein isolate, a highly separated fraction found only in top quality products, is very expensive and has an extremely high bioavailability (meaning it is very easily utilized by the body) because its particle sizes are so small. Whey protein concentrate has also gone through a huge amount of separation from the original starting material and the major waste product in this procedure is casein. This casein is then sold to other companies which produce low grade products. If you were to check out the ingredients on your favourite pudding desert, for example, you will likely see sodium caseinate because it is a cheap product that provides substance.

The idea behind a high quality whey protein is particle size. Digestion is most effective when particles are small enough to be taken up by the cells of the intestine. If food is not broken down into small enough pieces the body will simply NOT be able to use it. All research on the absorption of food reaches the same conclusion: the bigger the molecule, the more difficulty it has penetrating the mucus barrier lining the intestines.

So, why not mix milk and whey protein? Milk contains a lot of casein which adheres to the intestinal wall and blocks the absorption of the smaller whey protein molecules. Also, it generates a barrier of mucus internally which not only drives down the absorption of protein, but also the absorption of other vital nutrients.

The solution? Mix your whey protein in water, your favorite juice or a non-lactose beverage such as soy milk and benefit as much as possible from your protein supplement.

jumperman8
06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Just a comment, i understand al of the info you set out, althoguh taking protien drinks mixed wiht skim milk near doubles the protien consumption. Protein is not liek creatine, you take it as a meal replacement, that can help you gain wieght.

TrevorK
06-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jumperman8
Just a comment, i understand al of the info you set out, althoguh taking protien drinks mixed wiht skim milk near doubles the protien consumption. Protein is not liek creatine, you take it as a meal replacement, that can help you gain wieght.

Have 1.5 scoops of whey + water + oats.

Much more healthier as a pre/post-workout drink as compared to using milk.

TrevorK
06-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ExRollen
You should be having lots of carbs BEFORE working out, not after. And as for the protein, you should be drinking shakes about 3 times a day, and I would also recommend taking your post workout protein after your jog, because they say you have 2 hours to intake protein after a workout for it to be most efficiently used to synthesize muscle.

You're completely wrong. It is ESSENTIAL to have carbs post-workout:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/puzzle_2.htm

2.4l
06-20-2005, 07:29 PM
take protien an hour or two before the workout, and an hour or two after .. and when you workout say light weight light weight like ronnie coleman and you will be a beast

bulaian
06-20-2005, 11:26 PM
withdrawn

EG STyLeZ
06-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

ummmm..... last i heard was ronnie coleman was a powerlifter(training extremely heavy) before he became a professional bodybuilder and then mr. olympia... so i don't think he ever lifts light weight

he's talking about what ronnie coleman actually says out loud to pump himself up. if you watch any of his videos, he'll scream out, "light weight!!!" before he lifts the weight

1-Cent
06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by TrevorK

You're completely wrong. It is ESSENTIAL to have carbs post-workout:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/puzzle_2.htm

Complex carbs about an hour and half before your work out and simple carbs with your protien shake right after your workout would be best.. Neither is wrong entirely

Impreza
06-21-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by 2.4l
take protien an hour or two before the workout, and an hour or two after .. and when you workout say light weight light weight like ronnie coleman and you will be a beast

Shouldn't you be taking your post workout protein as soon as possible after your workout? Like within a 30minute window?

bulaian
06-21-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ

he's talking about what ronnie coleman actually says out loud to pump himself up. if you watch any of his videos, he'll scream out, "light weight!!!" before he lifts the weight

ahhhhh I see, nvm my reply then

eeseen racing
07-08-2005, 12:00 AM
first off why are you taking protein and running? just wondfering you might have everyhitng backwards on what you are trying to do..
weight gain no cardio should be done weight loss no protien should be taken. if you are just using it for fuel there are a lot better things to use then protien

JordanEG6
07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
if you want ORGANIC healthy protein eat a peice of skinless and boneless chicken breast or a skinless fish filet. both grilled or steamed. that whey protein is gross and is crap. its best only when u want to get BIG from hardcore workouts, not running.

2000_SI
07-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
if you want ORGANIC healthy protein eat a peice of skinless and boneless chicken breast or a skinless fish filet. both grilled or steamed. that whey protein is gross and is crap. its best only when u want to get BIG from hardcore workouts, not running.
:werd:
Whey shakes are for bulking up and gaining weight fast (ie: weight training), which would work against you while doing cardio training.

Save the Whey Protein for lifting weights, if you want to do something good to help you with cardio, eat right all day, tones of water, and making sure your well rested (some people dont realize that doing extensive cardio when they are exausted doesnt allow the body to fully recover as fast. You need to push yourself, but not to hard. :thumbsup: )