PDA

View Full Version : hooking up subs to a factory system

gonefishing
06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
hi guys ,

i need a little advice. i won't to hook up subs and an amp to my existing stereo without replacing the factory headunit. i heard you can steal the signal from the back speakers and just wire up the amp normally. i drive a 1999 pathfinder with the bose system if this is important info.

thanx

calgarys13
06-17-2005, 03:23 PM
check to see if the factory deck has a pre out.. without that you can't run subs....also this is most likley not on the factory deck

mike0989
06-17-2005, 03:44 PM
you can take the signal and wire it to the rcas to run an amp but i would HIGHLY recommend AGAINST it.

EacydeLude
06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
You can run subs without pre-outs and a factory deck if you use a line level converter. What this item does is take the hi-level power from your system (what runs to the speakers) and steps it down to the low-level signal that most aftermarket amplifiers accept for input. You simply connect the converter to the speaker level source in parallel and run standard RCA-type patch cables from the converter to the amplifier inputs and all the necessary power for the amplifier.

:thumbsup:

Velox
06-17-2005, 03:55 PM
You need a line driver

EacydeLude
06-17-2005, 03:56 PM
You can run subs without pre-outs and a factory deck if you use a line level converter. What this item does is take the hi-level power from your system (what runs to the speakers) and steps it down to the low-level signal that most aftermarket amplifiers accept for input. You simply connect the converter to the speaker level source in parallel and run standard RCA-type patch cables from the converter to the amplifier inputs and all the necessary power for the amplifier.

Truckguy
06-18-2005, 03:44 PM
MTX amps are specially designed to work with factory decks, they come with High level inputs built in, and the best part is their SMART SENSE TECHNOLOGY for remote turn on. You don't need a remote turn on wire, they sense the signal, and automatically turn on.

Check out the BEYOND MARKETPLACE, we have one on sale right now.

pikamonk
06-21-2005, 11:49 PM
I think another term is "Line Output Converter"

Should be no more than like $20 for the adapter. Best bet is to get an aftermarket deck for 1 or $200 unless you really like the stock look.

rahim
06-22-2005, 02:23 AM
yep just like these guys said line level converter or any amp with high level inputs, only thing is your sub level will be controlled by the fader, good or bad thing depends how you look at it

and if you don't get an mtx amp and need a remote all you need to do is tap the accesory or ignition wire, depending on when you want the amp to turn on, and put a 3A fuse on it

gonefishing
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
thanx guys for all the info . i think i will use those line converters instead of changing my headunit.

Truckguy
06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by rahim
yep just like these guys said line level converter or any amp with high level inputs, only thing is your sub level will be controlled by the fader, good or bad thing depends how you look at it

and if you don't get an mtx amp and need a remote all you need to do is tap the accesory or ignition wire, depending on when you want the amp to turn on, and put a 3A fuse on it

Thats the other nice thing about MTX amps, they come with a sub control. You can mount it on your dash and have instant control of your sub.

As for the Acc wire, yes you can get it anywhere, but sometimes you will get a turn on THUMP, or popping noises when you turn it off. Without the remote wire you don't have those problems.

There are lots of ways to make something work, I am just stating my opinion on how they can work better.

rahim
06-22-2005, 03:45 PM
i'm not disputing your opinion, just telling him what he'll need to do if he doesn't get an mtx amp

SWX
06-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by pikamonk
I think another term is "Line Output Converter"

Should be no more than like $20 for the adapter. Best bet is to get an aftermarket deck for 1 or $200 unless you really like the stock look.

The best bet would NOT to go to an aftermarket deck of cost is an issue because the aftermarket deck dosn't hook up to the factory amp, you would have to find the factory amp and bypass it or run all new speaker wire to each speaker. Going with a LOC or an amp with high level would be easier the only thing to watch for is noise with a shitty LOC the MTX amps are awesome for not having noise in this situation as the amps have being designed to addapt to any factory system, and works very well.