PDA

View Full Version : Pocket PC's

BerserkerCatSplat
06-18-2005, 12:09 AM
So, I'm kicking around the idea of getting a Pocket PC for various reasons, ie. organization, reading ebooks on the go, watching movies, etc. I'm not looking to spend much, (~$200) so I'll most likely be buying a used or refurbished unit. (Most likely ebay)

I've been considering something with a SDIO slot, at least 64MB RAM, and 300-400 MHz procesor.

My prime candidates are:

HP iPAQ 2210/2215
64MB, 400MHz, SD&CF slots, WinPocket 2003
no built-in WiFi

ViewSonic v37
64MB, 400MHz, SD slot, WinPocket2002
slightly dim screen

HP iPAQ 3950/3955
64MB, 400MHz, SD slot, WinPocket2003
no built-in WiFi

Does anyone have any experience with these, or any advice you can give me on buying a PDA? I'm not looking for something top-of-the-line, but I don't want just a glorified calendar, either.

Any help would be appreciated, like suggestions of other models for around that price.

Heck, if someone's looking to sell theirs, I might be interested! :D

AllGoNoShow
06-18-2005, 07:08 AM
I assume you want more of a Windows CE interface then a Palm (this is what you have this is what you use interface)

My buddy has owned 2-3 HP iPaq's and if he would stop taking them apart for no reason, they are the ultimate I think, cost more but well worth it.

Although I have ben looking into the Viewsonic myself so if you end up with that let me know how well it works.

My vote is for any of the iPaq's right now.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm currently leaning towards the Viewsonic, since it's the cheapest of the bunch. However, my main concern is that the upgrade from Windows Pocket PC 2002 to 2003 is freaking impossible to find! :(

D'z Nutz
06-18-2005, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
However, my main concern is that the upgrade from Windows Pocket PC 2002 to 2003 is freaking impossible to find! :(

You'll find that with many PDA's. OS upgrades are manufacturer and device specific and it's not very often they release updates.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Well, Viewsonic released the 2003 Premium update about 4 months ago, but now you can't get it off of the site anymore. I'm still trying to hunt down a copy of this rather elusive bit of software!

AllGoNoShow
06-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Windows Pocket PC 2003 Premium Upgrade Edition? If thats what its called I can hunt it down for you if your having troubles.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I'd like, but it is specific to the V37 model. The upgrade disc for the v35 and v36 won't work, it's been tried by many a careless v37 owner, that's for sure. The disc isn't for sale on Ebay anywhere, and the files can't be found to download. they used to be on icandy.mine.nu, but the site's gone now.

dragonone
06-18-2005, 08:26 PM
ur gonna want to do more on it, ie. watch movies, surf the net etc.
even on my xscale 416mhz w/ 64mb it doesn't feel perfect
as well, you might want phone functionality

maybe an asus?

tc3
06-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Would a HP Jornada 720 work for u?

BerserkerCatSplat
06-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
ur gonna want to do more on it, ie. watch movies, surf the net etc.
even on my xscale 416mhz w/ 64mb it doesn't feel perfect
as well, you might want phone functionality

maybe an asus?

Yeah, I'll most likely end up watching movies and such. I was unaware that Asus made PDA's and their hardware seems quite nice. However, the ones on Ebay are either a) selling for around $300+, which is a bit outside of my price range, or b) selling from Europe.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, but the Asus units are a little too pricey for me at the moment. Being poorish sucks! :D

Originally posted by tc3
Would a HP Jornada 720 work for u?

No, the Jornada's not really what i'm looking for. It's more of a mini-notebook, and it's kinda underpowered. (32MB, 205MHz) Playing movies on it would be pretty tough. Plus, it only runs Windows CE, not Pocket PC Edition. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

googe
06-18-2005, 10:30 PM
the dell axims are the best deal. the entry level model with builtin wireless is only like $3xx brand new.

dragonone
06-19-2005, 04:55 AM
i just think if u picked one w/ phone function it would b much better
seamless gprs w/ wifi (if you pay for it)
besides, why carry two devices when u can just buy one (for a premium)?

search the forums for each device, check out each of their problems and firmware, then decide.

i have an imate jam, but u might want to wait for an MDA IV (kinda expensive)
also look at eten ones
and there's also some w/ cf triband cards, research a bit

90s_tuner
06-19-2005, 10:48 AM
i think pocket pcs are for nerds, they are totally unnecessary unless you are a ceo of some company and are actually that busy.

Shaolin
06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
PPCs are for nerds, but they are very handy even more people who aren't CEOs. IE. sales staff, people on the go, people that are required to communicate with clients and colleagues while they're working?

dragonone
06-19-2005, 11:44 AM
actually i never use the scheduling or address bk functions of my ppc, so i don't know what you consider as necessary

ppcs are not only for the above functions anymore, it's actually what keeps me busy sometimes

and ceo's are not necessarily nerds, they rarely have time for things like that and have a secretary probably

i use mine as a phone, msn, skype, mp3 players, movie player, map, ebk reader, and snes/gb/gbc/gba emulator

90s_tuner
06-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin
PPCs are for nerds, but they are very handy even more people who aren't CEOs. IE. sales staff, people on the go, people that are required to communicate with clients and colleagues while they're working?

a decent cell phone can do all of the above making the pocket pc unnecessary.

Shaolin
06-19-2005, 12:07 PM
I don't know any cell phones out there that can message like a PPC or a Blackberry.. if the PPCs and such are not necessary, then Blackberrys would be out of business..

like dragonone says, it's more than just a phone/scheduler now.

D'z Nutz
06-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by 90s_tuner
i think pocket pcs are for nerds, they are totally unnecessary unless you are a ceo of some company and are actually that busy.

I beg to differ. I've been using a PDA to take class notes for the past 3 years. In that time I've never had to carry around school bags and books like everyone else does. I type faster than I can write and my notes are much more organized. I also have map software, so I can find places around the city if I'm lost. Surprisingly the dictionary software I have installed has been very useful as well on occassion. I also have remote control software I use with my camera.

I sold my old PDA to a fellow Beyond member who found a cool use for it. He hooks it up to his Talon and uses it for data-logging/tuning, I think.

They may be unnecessary for you, but you don't have to be some executive to find a use for them.

Xtrema
06-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by googe
the dell axims are the best deal. the entry level model with builtin wireless is only like $3xx brand new.

Watch for Dell "X Days of Deals". Last time they had the Axim 50v for $399, free shipping. This is the top of the line model with VGA screen (640X480) - 85% of PDA on the market is only support 320X240. Excellent for videos. And I believe includes Wifi and Bluetooth.

googe
06-19-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Watch for Dell "X Days of Deals". Last time they had the Axim 50v for $399, free shipping. This is the top of the line model with VGA screen (640X480) - 85% of PDA on the market is only support 320X240. Excellent for videos. And I believe includes Wifi and Bluetooth.

good call, retail price of the dell PDAs are competetive already, but when you get the good coupon codes or the x days of deals you can get good units for awesome prices. 399 for that is a great deal, as retail is 649 i believe, and its arguably one of the best high end PDAs out right now. ive used both the x50 and the x50v and id recommend them.

d-UNiT
06-19-2005, 01:43 PM
i have an ipaq 1945 and i enjoy it

its good for my gps system

and solitaire!!

Xtrema
06-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by googe

good call, retail price of the dell PDAs are competetive already, but when you get the good coupon codes or the x days of deals you can get good units for awesome prices. 399 for that is a great deal, as retail is 649 i believe, and its arguably one of the best high end PDAs out right now. ive used both the x50 and the x50v and id recommend them.

MSRP is $649

Usually it' is $599 + shipping

Sometimes it's $549 + cheap shipping

Once a blue moon, it's $399 + free shipping.

Keep an eye on pricenetwork.ca and redflagdeals.com for next Dell deals (they just finish with one and probably won't have another one for a month or 2).

The only bad thing is, sale starts on EST time. Any deals this good, usually gone in the first 20mins. So you may have to wake up a tad early to get them.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all of your great suggestions! :D

I just bought one, a lightly used Ipaq 3955 for $135CAD. It was in my price range, and had the features I needed. (64MB, 400Mhz)

However, if I ever want to upgrade and buy a new unit, the Dells certainly seem to be the best deal, especially with the coupon codes!

A question, though. D'z Nutz mentioned using a PDA for monitoring you car & tuning... does anyone know how to do that? It sounds like an awesome idea!

googe
06-20-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSpl
Thanks for all of your great suggestions! :D

I just bought one, a lightly used Ipaq 3955 for $135CAD. It was in my price range, and had the features I needed. (64MB, 400Mhz)

However, if I ever want to upgrade and buy a new unit, the Dells certainly seem to be the best deal, especially with the coupon codes!

A question, though. D'z Nutz mentioned using a PDA for monitoring you car & tuning... does anyone know how to do that? It sounds like an awesome idea!

typically youd plug your pda into the OBD-II port. it depends on the tuning solutions available for your particular vehicle, but at the very least it can be used as a datalogger with a generic obd-ii application. www.digimoto.com is an example. you can also do road dynos with most such software.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Alrighty, thanks for the link! That's an interesting setup, but you have to pay $100 for the package. The main drawback is that you can't connect to your ECU, just your OBDII. So it's useful as a datalogger, but not much else.

Still pretty cool, though. I'll consider buying one eventually.