PDA

View Full Version : Another Shooting

B17a
01-20-2003, 09:47 AM
WTF is with Calgary these days? We're turning into straight outta Compton.

At 330 on January 19 2003, numerous shots were heard in the
area of 12 Avenue and 1 St SE. Police responded to the area
and found that a male had been shot at by a group of males.
Police found evidnce of numerous shots being fired and the
victims car with several bullet holes in it. The male was
also wounded but is not in life threatening condition.

It is too early to tell if this shooting is related to the
recent street gang activity.

More information will be released as the investigation
progresses.

Melinda
01-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Gotta love how they made such a huge deal on the news that the victim and suspects were all asian :rolleyes:

Mel

B17a
01-20-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Melinda
Gotta love how they made such a huge deal on the news that the victim and suspects were all asian :rolleyes:

Mel

True. But they were all Asian and this is atypical for Calgary, I'd be concerned, this has all the ear marks of an Asian gangwar, a la, Edmonton style.

gpomp
01-20-2003, 10:28 AM

Mel

Where is it saying that? Any articles???

GingeRRRBeef
01-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by B17a

True. But they were all Asian and this is atypical for Calgary, I'd be concerned, this has all the ear marks of an Asian gangwar, a la, Edmonton style.

*sigh* It's hard being a young asian male .....

hinggu
01-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

*sigh* It's hard being a young asian male .....

I know what you mean!

lammer
01-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by hinggu

I know what you mean! :werd:

Ajay
01-20-2003, 02:50 PM
Ever since all this started happening the Calgary Sun always has a HUGE expose on fighting gang war and what Jack Beaton is doing to combat it.

We're still not half as bad as Edmonton though.

Melinda
01-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Where is it saying that? Any articles???
Both the Calgary news channels showed a few interviews with police and they were all stressing that they were asian...

Mel

Hakkola
01-20-2003, 03:14 PM

Both the Calgary news channels showed a few interviews with police and they were all stressing that they were asian...

Mel

LOL, i'm not completely informed about the situation, they might actually be stressing it. However I noticed that whenever someone says Black or asian or whatever people always jump up and say they're being racist or something. It's like when there's a rapist or something they say caucasian, are they stressing it or just telling facts?

If it was russian's or jews or puerto rican or anything I'm sure they'd mention it.

van
01-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

LOL, i'm not completely informed about the situation, they might actually be stressing it. However I noticed that whenever someone says Black or asian or whatever people always jump up and say they're being racist or something. It's like when there's a rapist or something they say caucasian, are they stressing it or just telling facts?

If it was russian's or jews or puerto rican or anything I'm sure they'd mention it.

I don't think people jumping to conclusions, only the dumb ones. I think the majority of people are just concerned that the media is giving a stereotype to Asian people. Being a young Asian male, it proves even harder to not drive around a nice car and not getting followed for it. You know what I mean? I'm saying you gotta be in their shoes to see how it is.

Hakkola
01-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Yeah, but I get followed around for driving a nice car too. You're not the only ones.

m@+CH
01-20-2003, 05:25 PM
its not the fact that u're young azn male that u get into SH#@^@
It's the guys who think they're so hard and rule the earth...
they're the ones who bring it on themselves...
if u really that hard !! then u wouldnt' do all the dirty wrk in seeking revenge in the first place.
u'll get your peops to deal wit it
:banghead:
:thumbsdow

max_boost
01-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Well if you wear all black, have long blonde bangs and like to stare at people, yes they are stereotyping that description of a asian male! Other wise, society is not going to make such judgements imo. Working in a Chinese Restaurant catering to 99.9% white folks, I have yet to have one customer mention anything about the shootings to me.

Hakkola
01-20-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't think it's even the bangs or skin colour at all when you get followed, it's because your in a nice car, but it helps to be dressed well, I've been followed plenty of times, but it was only really bad one of the times when I was dressed like a thug and had lots of friends in the car, I think usually I look like a nice kid and still get my plates checked from time to time.

Hollywood
01-20-2003, 05:46 PM
One thing I that sucks is now with these asian related shootings, that this summer cops are going to be extra tough on any asian driving a modded import. Watch you will see. Not to mention the increase of police involvement against modded import drivers as a whole. Only the track will be safe!

It will be all most as bad as being flagged, like I am.

hinggu
01-20-2003, 06:03 PM
It seems to me that every time I hear about the shootings or anything asian related, they always have to mention the asian background. I don't think it is really necessary to mention the asian. I noticed this in the Calgary Sun the most!
And Hollywood is right, it will get tougher for asians driving imports. Cops always question me already when I get pulled over.

redline_13000
01-20-2003, 06:15 PM
whats the site u guys find these articles on? anyone see all those cops in the NE ..trans canada mall? there was like 4 seargents along with vans and cruisers..and a couple cops went into the tim hortons with one of those dogs

Melinda
01-20-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
whats the site u guys find these articles on? anyone see all those cops in the NE ..trans canada mall? there was like 4 seargents along with vans and cruisers..and a couple cops went into the tim hortons with one of those dogs
It's homework for me to find out whats going on around the city all day, I spend a good portion of my time reading news and watching TV...can't remember where I've gotten a lot of this but City beat has some good facutal info and the news papers and TV generally will publish what they want the public to know...try a couple different sites to get the whole story

Mel

redline_13000
01-20-2003, 06:21 PM

It's homework for me to find out whats going on around the city all day, I spend a good portion of my time reading news and watching TV...can't remember where I've gotten a lot of this but City beat has some good facutal info and the news papers and TV generally will publish what they want the public to know...try a couple different sites to get the whole story

Mel

what sites?

Melinda
01-20-2003, 06:33 PM

what sites?
try

www.calgaryherald.com
www.calgarysun.com
sometimes even the national post..
www.calgary.ca then click on news room then city beat will take you to whats going on around the city...

Hope that helps

Mel

bksze
01-20-2003, 06:44 PM
you guys, cops aren't stupid . . . asians getting pulled over for driving modded imports are because they are driving modded imports . . . not because they are "asians" driving the car . . . people will get pulled over driving the same car if it has blue signals or a neon underbody kit regardless of what race you are . . . the stereotype that it becomes predominantly asian was enforced in our minds from before most of us were interested in cars . . . as follows:
hispanics = lowriders
asians = modded imports
caucasians = muscle cars
african americans = hydros
if i'm wrong, please correct me but i think some of us are a little too sensitive to this racism issue . . . the newspaper is there to report facts . . . if it was caucasian shooting, you can be sure that it will be reported . . . when you guys start hearing in the news that it was asian gang related because buddy was shot in chinatown . . . then start bitchin about racism and the like . . . until then, realise that there are wars going on right now and it just so happens that it is comprised of asians . . .

oh right . . . one more stereotype

vietnamese = old ass accords and preludes (that one's for you fcuk_it hahahaa)

hinggu
01-20-2003, 06:48 PM
well, I didn't drive a modded import before, but everytime me or my bro gets pulled over or at a checkstop, the cop has to flash his light everywhere and ask if I have weapons, or if I am hiding anythinkg illegal. I am not saying the cops are racist, just that a few asians have given us a bad name.

szw
01-20-2003, 07:01 PM
I don't think they took you for hardcore criminals ...if they ask you if you have weapons or anything illegal on you! hehe

max_boost
01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
You are only as good as the attitude you portray.....

Act like a thug, expect to be treated like one.......

___2PaC___
01-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by B17a

:banghead: NOTHING...compared to L.A. man nothing, not even edmonton...If you liv ein Edmonton for a couple of months its pretty bad...you'll find out, and prolly already know

Originally posted by Ajay
Ever since all this started happening the Calgary Sun always has a HUGE expose on fighting gang war and what Jack Beaton is doing to combat it.

We're still not half as bad as Edmonton though.

:werd:

:werd: I saw that too

Hakkola
01-20-2003, 08:02 PM
LOL, every one talks about LA, the place is like a fantasy land, people are like, we're the most thugged out peeps in the world, lol. There's so many other places I'd rather not be than the worst parts of LA.

Ajay
01-20-2003, 10:12 PM
I have a friend who's from St. Louis. He grew up here and moved to STL when he was 14 but he came back to go to UofC here. His parents still live in STL and he goes back there every major holiday. I asked him what he thinks about all these recent events and he told me to come with him to STL sometime this summer and see what "gang wars" are really like.

Apparently in the rougher areas of STL there's murders and shootings on a daily basis that get virtually no or absolutely no media exposure because it's almost a part of their daily life. Glad we don't live in a city like that.

B17a
01-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bksze
you guys, cops aren't stupid . . . asians getting pulled over for driving modded imports are because they are driving modded imports . . . not because they are "asians" driving the car . . . people will get pulled over driving the same car if it has blue signals or a neon underbody kit regardless of what race you are . . . the stereotype that it becomes predominantly asian was enforced in our minds from before most of us were interested in cars . . . as follows:
hispanics = lowriders
asians = modded imports
caucasians = muscle cars
african americans = hydros
if i'm wrong, please correct me but i think some of us are a little too sensitive to this racism issue . . . the newspaper is there to report facts . . . if it was caucasian shooting, you can be sure that it will be reported . . . when you guys start hearing in the news that it was asian gang related because buddy was shot in chinatown . . . then start bitchin about racism and the like . . . until then, realise that there are wars going on right now and it just so happens that it is comprised of asians . . .

oh right . . . one more stereotype

vietnamese = old ass accords and preludes (that one's for you fcuk_it hahahaa)

:werd: Well said. If anyone here reads the National Post, over the last 2 weeks they been doing a feature on the massive number of shootings in TO relating to people of Jamaican decent. THey've made a special point of showing everyone that its not a race thing but in fact true, a population that makes up 5% of the total population has had something like 60% of the total murders. That's a fact and that's a concern. So far in Calgary this year we've had, what, maybe 5 shootings? (it's only 3 weeks in to the year) and what? all but one involving Asians? Its no wonder people make light of it. Facts. Facts. Facts.

___2PaC___
01-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Apparently in the rougher areas of STL there's murders and shootings on a daily basis that get virtually no or absolutely no media exposure because it's almost a part of their daily life. Glad we don't live in a city like that.

:werd: