PDA

View Full Version : Painting Plastic Bumpers

@lchy
06-19-2005, 02:39 PM
I have a 92 accord lx, and it has some lovely plastic bumbers(black). I am thinking about getting a lip kit, but i'm wondering if i can paint this plastic to match the body. Are there special primers I've never heard of? it seems to me there would be really poor adhesion on this type of surface, but i don't know that much about painting, especially platics. Also, anyone ever paint plastic trim on thier car, does it work?

Davetronz
06-19-2005, 04:33 PM
WTF is a bumber?
LOL...

If you are looking to paint your BUMPERS, to the best of my knowledge there is special plastic/rubber spray paints that you can use. Only downside is that if something hits the bumper it usually cracks/shatters the paint...
You would have to try to give them a good sanding to get the paint to adhere...

civicrider
06-19-2005, 06:38 PM
^
no no no

you just clean and scuff up the bare plastic with a scotchbrite pad and some soap and water, rinse it off and once its dry apply a coat of plastic adhesion promoter, it sits for like 15 min then you spray your color right over top.

autospeed
06-19-2005, 07:38 PM
You can just scuff prime and paint it like any other surface on your car. The only downside of that will be if you hit something (cement stoppers in a parking lot or a curb) that your paint will get those spiderweb marks in it and begin to flake off. As for any other conditions (hot/cold) nothing happens. You can either add a flex agent to existing primers or get the primer with it allready mixed in. I'm guessing the second is what was mentioned just above me. I painted my mouldings and sideskirts silver by just scuffing/sanding, priming and painting. It's held up fine for like over a year now, so imo the flex agents are nothing more than a gimmick.

cressida_pimpin
06-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by civicrider
^
no no no

you just clean and scuff up the bare plastic with a scotchbrite pad and some soap and water, rinse it off and once its dry apply a coat of plastic adhesion promoter, it sits for like 15 min then you spray your color right over top.

:werd:
just finished doing this on my 91 accord

civicrider
06-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by autospeed
You can just scuff prime and paint it like any other surface on your car. The only downside of that will be if you hit something (cement stoppers in a parking lot or a curb) that your paint will get those spiderweb marks in it and begin to flake off. As for any other conditions (hot/cold) nothing happens. You can either add a flex agent to existing primers or get the primer with it allready mixed in. I'm guessing the second is what was mentioned just above me. I painted my mouldings and sideskirts silver by just scuffing/sanding, priming and painting. It's held up fine for like over a year now, so imo the flex agents are nothing more than a gimmick.

most paints dont need flex agents, or you buy a product ment for the job ie. adhestion promoter or FLEXIBLE primer surfacer. just follow the steps i told you and it will hold up awsome

Phuqu
06-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Plastic parts don't need flex agent??

Only if you want them to crack.

Plastic parts that are properly prepared and sprayed with the correct mix ratios can be bent in half and the paint will not break.

There are correct ways to prepare plastic for painting and it's not a quick process. Cutting corners will lead to paint failure.

If you only want it to last a short while by all means cut corners.

There are different ways to prepare plastic and I won't go into all the details but these things are a must:

1. Absolutely clean of dirt, grease, mold release agents, etc... If it's not clean why bother with any other steps.

2. Bare plastic needs some type of plastic adhesion promoter.

3. Flexible plastic parts need a flex additive. It's not cheap.

If someone is cutting corners and giving you a smoking deal on painting plastic you can bet they aren't using adhesion promoter and flex agent. I would think they aren't using a sealer as well.

Either way painting plastics can be an 'art'. It's something that needs to be done methodically and any deviance can lead to paint failure.

rich
01-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi guys
how are we all

Ok i got a Rover 214 and its got gray Plastic bumbers not the
best looking gray

So i like to paint the bumbers
I am going to do it right NO Cutting corners
so i like to no what i use to do the job right
and any tips you guys got would be good.

If i do it right and i hit the bumber a little. like just a kick from a
kid will it crack and look sh?t.

Thanks
Rich

civicrider
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Phuqu depending on what paint you use you DONT need flex agent, i spray PPG and use the SXA adhesion promoter and i can bend the palstic part in half and not get a crack, with PPG you dont need the flex agent.

rich is that a raw plastic bumper or is it already painted?

rich
01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
its is the raw plastic bumper
there is no paint on it to start

i did think you could not paint raw plastic bumper
the car is green at the top i fineout what green it is
and let you no the paint type

i put a pic of the car to

thanks for helping

civicrider
01-30-2006, 04:42 PM
if its bare plastic, clean it very well with soap and water