PDA

View Full Version : caravan vs. skyline

turbo minivan
06-19-2005, 04:09 PM
ok, so about 20 minutes ago im going south on glenmore in the van to go to tuscany. im driving along and i see ahead of me a black 89 skyline (dont know exactly what model) ALL decked out with cool graphics like a freekin stock car or drifter almost. (lots of orange, with "roadz performance" decaled on the drivers side and a white door with a sheriff decal on the other side) any way, it looked freekin fast! so i come up next to him by 37 st. and let my BOV go off in his ear to get his attention, he says, ah, i see you have a turbo too. :D we talked a bit, he said he was running stock boost at 7 psi, and i added i was running 21 psi on first stage, so the light goes and we drive along with traffic down sarcee toward 16th ave and were talking about where he and his buddys can find a park at (he had a Quebec plate or somthing)
so as were done talking, about half a K before the 16th ave off ramp, we both nail it!! i figured i would loose bad but i kept right up to him for a couple seconds, i short shifted my auto tranny to 3rd and started to pull away slowly (to my amazement!) my nose was about 4 or 5 feet up on him when he shifted (probly into 4th?) and he pulled back up on me slowly and inched 2 feet or so past me. then we both had to slam on the breaks to get on the off ramp. it was fun! i couldnt believe i had a couple feet on him for a wile there!! cool car! im sure watching a caravan and a decked out skyline go at it and stay preaty close to head to head sparked some wide eyes from bystandards!:D any others seen this skyline?

jdmakkord
06-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by turbo minivan
ok, so about 20 minutes ago im going south on glenmore in the van to go to tuscany. im driving along and i see ahead of me a black 89 skyline (dont know exactly what model) ALL decked out with cool graphics like a freekin stock car or drifter almost. (lots of orange, with "roadz performance" decaled on the drivers side and a white door with a sheriff decal on the other side) any way, it looked freekin fast! so i come up next to him by 37 st. and let my BOV go off in his ear to get his attention, he says, ah, i see you have a turbo too. :D we talked a bit, he said he was running stock boost at 7 psi, and i added i was running 21 psi on first stage, so the light goes and we drive along with traffic down sarcee toward 16th ave and were talking about where he and his buddys can find a park at (he had a Quebec plate or somthing)
so as were done talking, about half a K before the 16th ave off ramp, we both nail it!! i figured i would loose bad but i kept right up to him for a couple seconds, i short shifted my auto tranny to 3rd and started to pull away slowly (to my amazement!) my nose was about 4 or 5 feet up on him when he shifted (probly into 4th?) and he pulled back up on me slowly and inched 2 feet or so past me. then we both had to slam on the breaks to get on the off ramp. it was fun! i couldnt believe i had a couple feet on him for a wile there!! cool car! im sure watching a caravan and a decked out skyline go at it and stay preaty close to head to head sparked some wide eyes from bystandards!:D any others seen this skyline?

Does your minivan brake or handle well enough to be travelling at those speeds on the road?

2.0turbo
06-19-2005, 04:14 PM
What would you expect, 2.5 litres of displacement and 21psi, of course your going to be fast. It's not like you were racing a Enzo or something.

Mad$ella
06-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Street Racing... :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

MK3HKS
06-19-2005, 04:15 PM
:rofl:

sorry to postwhore but i just had too, hahahahhahahahahha :rofl:

Lo)2enz0
06-19-2005, 04:41 PM
I live in tuscany and I was driving down 16th at the same time. Which off ramp was it, the one on to stony trail? I would have laughed my ass off if I saw that. Probably would have made fathers dad that much better.

GoChris
06-19-2005, 05:04 PM
south on glenmore?? wtf :dunno:

turbo minivan
06-19-2005, 05:05 PM
hardy har har.... yes, my van is safe to be going "that fast".:D
and ya ya, i know street racing is bad, but what could i do? i figured i had to prove im not just some kid in his moms minivan.
admit it, you would have done the same!:devil:

turbo minivan
06-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
south on glenmore?? wtf :dunno:

oh ya, opps, west on glenmore. sorry

ancient
06-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Im wondering if your van is the same one I saw on glenmore the other day... Heading north.

I believe the IC was mounted where normal rad had been cut out. And painted on it, it had MOPAR on it... or just a blue M..

Came up next to me while I was changing CD's didn't even notice him revving at me, windows down and BOV in my face even... Then I did and I was like shit damn its a minivan!!!

Rockski
06-19-2005, 10:34 PM
was the driver a red neck in a wife beater ? we saw about 3 of em gatherd around a skyline tonight

dymz999
06-20-2005, 02:08 AM
uhmm you said 89 right? odds being it had an RB20DET and not an RB26DETT then. If thats the case they are slow as ASS!

Toms-SC
06-20-2005, 06:14 AM
:thumbsup:

finboy
06-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by dymz999
uhmm you said 89 right? odds being it had an RB20DET and not an RB26DETT then. If thats the case they are slow as ASS!

if it was a gtr then it had an rb26

gtr's always got the rb26
gtst's got the rb20 in the r32's and an rb25 in the r33's and r34's

if it was only a gtst then it was about 215 hp in a 3000 pound car

CryoCarnage
06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Comon, dont say anything you cant take back.

jdmakkord
06-20-2005, 06:10 PM
and ya ya, i know street racing is bad, but what could i do? i figured i had to prove im not just some kid in his moms minivan.

Sure it is safe.....if you wanted to prove you werent some kid in your mom's mini van, you should have gone the speed limit. God knows none of em ever do. And as for doing the same? I grew out of "street racing" years ago, and dont care for it now at all.

A790
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM

Oh yea, *real* slow.

turbojohngt
06-20-2005, 07:18 PM

LMAO:rofl: I hate to say it but your right,cause I probably would have done the same to:D

dymz999
06-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by A790

Oh yea, *real* slow.

The RB20DET Series of skylines are not fast at all. They are average at best I would say. Hell stock rb20det skyline would run around 15 to 16 seconds i would bet.

Besides i'd bet money that my stock SR with stock boost would take a rb20det powered skyline with stock boost anyday, and stock boost is lame. I can tell you this though, the one and only time I have seen a GTR was on trans canada going to chestermere. From the lights just outside of the city boundary we were dead even with each other. the dude's car had the stock twin T28's in it with 10 psi. If a GTR running 10 psi can keep up to an mildly modded SR20 running nearly 20psi well lets just say that is pretty damn cool.

So to put it shot if it was a GTR he wasn't trying and didn't care about you! Then again, this sounds like most GTR owners, they couldn't care about a minivan, now lets say you were driving a ferrari then it would be different :)

asp integra
06-20-2005, 10:26 PM
what kind of 1/4 times do u run with your turbo van?

finboy
06-20-2005, 10:43 PM
saw it today, gts-t

Orbie
06-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ancient
Im wondering if your van is the same one I saw on glenmore the other day... Heading north.

I believe the IC was mounted where normal rad had been cut out. And painted on it, it had MOPAR on it... or just a blue M..

Came up next to me while I was changing CD's didn't even notice him revving at me, windows down and BOV in my face even... Then I did and I was like shit damn its a minivan!!!

By the sounds of this doesn't sound like he "knows street racing is bad", looks like he goes out challenging every sporty car he sees :thumbsdow

95acc
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
The RB20DET Series of skylines are not fast at all. They are average at best I would say. Hell stock rb20det skyline would run around 15 to 16 seconds i would bet.
A STOCK GTS-t drivin well is a low-mid 14 second car. a customer of mine runs low 14's consistantly with an exhaust, and air filter.
Yep pretty slow on 8-9 psi

garyb
06-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord

Sure it is safe.....if you wanted to prove you werent some kid in your mom's mini van, you should have gone the speed limit. God knows none of em ever do. And as for doing the same? I grew out of "street racing" years ago, and dont care for it now at all.

AHHHHH!! i hate how everyone says "racing someone is bad, your an idiot, blah blah, but I USED TO DO IT" wtf?

viffer
06-21-2005, 03:02 PM
If I see you out on the roads I'll blip my throttle a couple times and we'll giver. :)

turbo minivan
06-21-2005, 04:34 PM
evryone doggin the minivan it sounds like, but i think the slow may take the truth to be hard. ? hell, its a minivan!!, trust me, i know that! its no corvette but ya gota admit, the concept is awsome! and im sure most of the rest of you would have just stared at the car or tryed to take pictures rarther than challenge the "greatness" of a skyline. i have no idea what kind of skyline it was, he just said it had a turbo. ??? sorry if im not ANOTHER person that worships the skyline.:nut:

finboy
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
evryone doggin the minivan it sounds like, but i think the slow may take the truth to be hard. ? hell, its a minivan!!, trust me, i know that! its no corvette but ya gota admit, the concept is awsome! and im sure most of the rest of you would have just stared at the car or tryed to take pictures rarther than challenge the "greatness" of a skyline. i have no idea what kind of skyline it was, he just said it had a turbo. ??? sorry if im not ANOTHER person that worships the skyline.:nut:

you don't have to worship a car to have knowledge about it.

dymz999
06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Worship? Sorry the GTS-T is nothing to worship and if there was one running low 14's it must have had some good tires on it, as in real good tires. 250hp FLYWHEEL 3000lbs well thats a tough one to say its running 14's. You would need street slicks or a good set of drag radials and 60 foot times of 1.7 to 1.8.

As or worship, i dont worship. I would prefer to embarass one. I did the same to a ferrari owner, its fun to make them realize that there $$$$ car isn't so hot...

For the record, the RB25DET engine is sweet when stuck in a 240. But generally only because people add more power to them. The RB26DETT engine in the GTR's is insanely sick.

hampstor
06-22-2005, 08:12 AM
ill say this and get it over with...

your minivan is fast, though still a minivan! Yes, the gts-t is slower then a gt-r, but a minivan that can go that fast is still a fast minivan!

CryoCarnage
06-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Worship? Sorry the GTS-T is nothing to worship and if there was one running low 14's it must have had some good tires on it, as in real good tires. 250hp FLYWHEEL 3000lbs well thats a tough one to say its running 14's. You would need street slicks or a good set of drag radials and 60 foot times of 1.7 to 1.8.

As or worship, i dont worship. I would prefer to embarass one. I did the same to a ferrari owner, its fun to make them realize that there $$$$ car isn't so hot...

For the record, the RB25DET engine is sweet when stuck in a 240. But generally only because people add more power to them. The RB26DETT engine in the GTR's is insanely sick.

Embarass huh? i have a couple of friend over here that would take you up on that... Too bad here is Toronto :nut:

turbo'dGSR
06-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I've seen that skyline, its a fucking mess! bad graphics plastered all over, the front bumper/headlights/side markers are taped on and all cracked, and yes Quebec plates.
It turned me off of skylines:thumbsdow

dymz999
06-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage

Embarass huh? i have a couple of friend over here that would take you up on that... Too bad here is Toronto :nut:

A skyline would need around 400+ whp to keep up. I'm running 22psi right now. wishful thinking though, i dont know too many skyline guys who mod their cars that much. That is primarily because 90% of the skylines in canada are bought and kept stock, kinda like people who go out and buy corvettes.

slammedtsi
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
i took a peek under the hood of that skyline, and yes it did have an rb20det in it with an air filter and a bov that i noticed.

calgarys13
07-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by turbo'dGSR
I've seen that skyline, its a fucking mess! bad graphics plastered all over, the front bumper/headlights/side markers are taped on and all cracked, and yes Quebec plates.
It turned me off of skylines:thumbsdow

sorry the car can't be perfect the guy drifts it and does a real good job...still a wicked car and if thats what turned you off skylines im glad it did!

gpomp
07-12-2005, 11:33 PM
meh, that car ran 15's in the 1/4 mile. i bet i could beat it too.

calgarys13
07-12-2005, 11:35 PM
the guy isn't into drag racing...auto x and drifting and that cars set up fine for what he wants to do...i bet he could beat you at auto-x!

gpomp
07-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
the guy isn't into drag racing...auto x and drifting and that cars set up fine for what he wants to do...i bet he could beat you at auto-x!
yeah i bet he could. im just saying it's slow in the 1/4 and beating it in a straight line isn't a big deal.

calgarys13
07-12-2005, 11:39 PM
its not slow i think there might have been some driver error because gts-t's should be capable of low 14's high 13's here on the stock turbo

braden883314
07-12-2005, 11:39 PM

sorry the car can't be perfect the guy drifts it and does a real good job...still a wicked car and if thats what turned you off skylines im glad it did!

I like the car, its something i havent seen before, its the people that copy that idea, that i wont like. And he is a really drifter, smooth.

~Braden

gpomp
07-13-2005, 12:14 AM
its not slow i think there might have been some driver error because gts-t's should be capable of low 14's high 13's here on the stock turbo
3000 lb car with 200 hp isn't that quick.

Scat
07-21-2005, 03:03 PM

not in calgary

mid to high 14 at best with stock rb20.
Probably low 15's for most

bundi
07-21-2005, 04:38 PM
I think the bottom line is that turbo van's are the ultimate sleeper/offseason racer :P

as for street racing..... if I had a turbo van I'd probably wanna make some rich kids cry too :P

finboy
07-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by bundi
I think the bottom line is that turbo van's are the ultimate sleeper/offseason racer :P

as for street racing..... if I had a turbo van I'd probably wanna make some rich kids cry too :P

there are better sleepers, turbo k-car or turbo festiva for example

turbo minivan
07-22-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by bundi

ha ha ha!! ya, its great!!! ha ha ha ha!!:D ill have a turbo omni going in a couple months, that should be fun, dont worry, it will handle better than the van!! you wont have to worry about me rolling over you around a corner when you see me on the street.:D

Tha VZA
08-17-2005, 01:24 PM
hey turbo minivan, get over these cars and build your T-bucket already

haha ;)

c ya soon brother

ciao