PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the radiator

Speaking
06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
When i check the radiator to make sure the prestone level was alright the where dropplets of oil in it. But il checked the oil level and it was all right.

What do i have to check?

I have diesel golf 92 with 278,291 KM

Thanks.

heavyD
06-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Speaking
When i check the radiator to make sure the prestone level was alright the where dropplets of oil in it. But il checked the oil level and it was all right.

What do i have to check?

I have diesel golf 92 with 278,291 KM

Thanks.

Head gasket? Was the head removed in the last year or so? Were the droplets in your overflow tank? Sometimes when you get headwork done or new headgasket, etc, some oil will get into the coolant passages. When filled with antifreeze the droplets usually end up in your overflow which is harmless. I would flush the radiator thoroughly and if the droplets re-appear you may have a leaky head gasket or crack in the head.

dymz999
06-20-2005, 12:33 PM
You either blew your headgasket which is the most likely cause or somehow managed to literally destroy the engine...

Speaking
06-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Thanks heavy D,

No headwork done in the last 3 years. Yes it is in the overflow that the oil appeard.

On a golf what is the best method to do a radiator flush.

Is there any type of oil i can put to stop the leak if there is one ?

heavyD
06-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks heavy D,

No headwork done in the last 3 years. Yes it is in the overflow that the oil appeard.

On a golf what is the best method to do a radiator flush.

Is there any type of oil i can put to stop the leak if there is one ?

Not sure about VW's but usually there is a drain plug under the rad. Just remove your radiator cap then the drain plug and let it drain fully. Remove the overflow tank and clean the oil out of it. Replace the overflow, fill rad with a bottle of Prestone superflush (or whatever it's called) and de-ionized water and run the car according to the directions. Drain and repeat with the water until it comes out clean to your liking. Once clean fill with VW approved antifreeze and a 50/50 mixture of de-ionized water.

Speaking
06-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Is it true that to check if headgasket or the motor head is cracked you need to take the radiator cap off and start the car. If in the radiator it makes bubbles( motor compression in the radiator) the thier is a leak.
or is there an other way to check.
Thanks..

GTS Jeff
06-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Is it true that to check if headgasket or the motor head is cracked you need to take the radiator cap off and start the car. If in the radiator it makes bubbles( motor compression in the radiator) the thier is a leak.
or is there an other way to check.
Thanks.. That's a terrible way to check because your coolant levels can rise and drop normally. You can tell the HG is gone when:

-oil in the coolant
-coolant in the oil
-loss of power
-weird idle
-white smoke (that smells like coolant, a sweet and sickly smell)

Weapon_R
06-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Sounds like an early indication of a headgasket failure.

dymz999
06-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Let me put it this way. If you have oil in your radiator you have a blown headgasket. There are other things that could cause this but so unlikely its not funny. You would have had to have cracked one of the water jackets in the block, had a turbo that decided to destroy itself.

Or it is possible you drained the radiator the last time in a dirty drain pan which had been used previously to drain oil and hence a few drops of oil mixed with the fluid.

However, there is a 99% chance you did a headgasket in.

Do a compression test on all cylinders. If two cylinders that are side by side have lower compression then your headgasket is gone.

Speaking
06-22-2005, 07:22 AM
For a diesel engine is it possible or a good idea to change the headgasket. Once the gasket is changed will the engine run well or will i have more problems later due to the change.

Speaking
06-28-2005, 07:38 AM
For a diesel engine is it possible or a good idea to change the headgasket. Once the gasket is changed will the engine run well or will i have more problems later due to the change.
Is it a good idea?

Thanks