PDA

View Full Version : garage floor coatings?

Ford
06-21-2005, 01:14 AM
Where can I get some garage floor coatings like in the tv shops, horsepower tv and trucks etc.

That resists corrosion and easy to clean up etc. ??

legendboy
06-21-2005, 07:58 AM
bump for some info on this!

Xtrema
06-21-2005, 08:16 AM
http://www.behr.com/behrx/expert/floor_ext_index.jsp?subnav=exterior

Make sure you prep the floor really well before hand or it'll peel.

dj_honda
06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
so what do you do if there are some cracks?
what do you fill them with? or will the stuff cover it fine?

heavyD
06-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by dj_honda
so what do you do if there are some cracks?
what do you fill them with? or will the stuff cover it fine?

The good stuff is quite thick and will fill the cracks as long as they are not too wide. It's a two part process and if the floor isn't properly prepped like Xtrema said before hand it will peel in less than a year. I've seen this from experience.

legendboy
06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
what about using jackstands and stuff like that on a painted floor? chip's the paint?

LowRiderHD2000
06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Over the years I have used all sorts of products and even hired a company to professionally seal my garage. No matter how much prep I did I always was re sealing my garage floor the next 1-2 years. :thumbsdow

On my new house for the last 3 years I have decided to just scrape, power wash and seal the floor with Behr 1-Part Epoxy Acrylic Concrete & Garage Floor Paint every year. Not wasting my time with acid washing and high concentrate soaps. Nice fresh floor every summer.

Plus it holds up pretty good against scratches and scrapes.

Primer_Drift
06-21-2005, 11:54 AM
I've seen garage floors with 1/4 of an inch self leveling epoxy membrane.. they are amazingly resiliant, smooth or textured, and completely level. Its what I would get if I could afford it :P

Link (http://www.adamin.com/adamin.com/catalogue/catalogue_epoxymembranes.htm) with some info

Toms-SC
06-21-2005, 12:24 PM
The system is about $90 and can be found at RONA. Its a epoxy based paint that can be applied many times to give you different thickness if required. To prevent slipage rubber pellets are included. I suggest LOTS of prep work considering your concrete has absorbed salt. You will want to use a power washer and a heavy degresser. If your garage floor is newer and has something like a 'clear coat' your going to want to get a sander and scuff it up for paint tact. No colour options at this time.

It will not chip legend boy

Supa Dexta
06-21-2005, 06:16 PM
We have stuff back home for painting fishing boat decks and stuff, It's a really tuff paint with a grit in it.. Kind if like coarse sand.. Holds up really well and cleans easy enough.. I imagine the kind of stuff they paint pool decks with is similar? It's no pimp floor like a checker board but does the job...

:)

schurchill39
06-21-2005, 10:08 PM
My buddies dad, who i am now working for, does this sort of thing. He has his own special concret formula. His website is www.air-crete.com not sure if he will have information regarding this on his site but i have been there when he has done it to garages. The finished product is excellent and very durable. His email should be on there if you wanna ask any questions no strings attached. Tell him Scott told you about him.

Ford
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
We have stuff back home for painting fishing boat decks and stuff, It's a really tuff paint with a grit in it.. Kind if like coarse sand.. Holds up really well and cleans easy enough.. I imagine the kind of stuff they paint pool decks with is similar? It's no pimp floor like a checker board but does the job...

:)

Info please, what's the stuff you use because that's what i'm looking for, the boat decks last forever.

sillyd
06-22-2005, 10:08 AM
You should look at some sort of floor covering instead of paint. Check out these guys www.ultimategarage.ca
If you do decide to paint you should also acid etch the floor first Good luck.

2002civic
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
^^they have some nice ideas