PDA

View Full Version : How to go about getting a bike license?

Bladeh
06-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Lo!

I'm pretty new to this country and was wondering how one goes about getting a bike license, I did have a motorbike license back in England. I suspect sign up with a learning company and do the courses, but whats involved and sort of bike sizes are available to learners?

Phy
06-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Getting your licence is a lot easier over here. There's just one course, which is non-compulsory. If you know how to ride, all you need to learn are the rules of the road.

If you don't already have your learner's permit or car licence, you'll need to get that first. With graduated licensing, however, if you're starting out without anything, you end up spending one year minimum with a learner's permit and two years minimum as a probationary driver - so three years total before you can become fully licenced. As a probationary driver, you can drive a car (or a bike, depending on your licence), but there are extra restrictions. Your licence from England may hold over or count as experience; it would be best to ask an agent at a registry office.

Assuming you've done your time as a learner, you need to go to any registry office and do your written test. It's 15 or so questions, multiple choice. You'll be quizzed on bike operation and road rules. Then you can schedule a road test with the registry office; you'll need to supply a bike. If you don't have your driver's license, they'll test you on both parking lot maneuvers and a road ride. If you do have your driver's, you'll only be tested on low-speed parking lot maneuvers, like riding in a circle, emergency stops, and riding slowly in a straight line. It's incredibly easy if you have any sort of training. Personally, I took a course, 'cause I'd never rode before. You may want to anyway, they're usually fun and it never hurts to brush up on the basics. EDIT: Plus, you can use one of their bikes in the test.

With a learner's permit or a car licence, you can drive a moped on your own. (Y'know, has both a motor and bicycle pedals?) Otherwise, you need someone with their class 6 either sitting on the bike with you, or following you on their own bike or in a car. Mopeds aside, there are no size class restrictions. Under Alberta law, a Harley is an R1 is a Vespa is a motorcycle. Go out and buy something you can afford and that you're comfortable with. If you've already got experience on a liter bike, there's nothing stopping you. If you don't have experience on a liter bike, ride at your own risk. :D

Click here for the Alberta government's motorcycle licencing handbook. (http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca/Content/doctype45/production/mcpage1.htm)

Hope that helps!

4wslude
06-21-2005, 11:24 PM
if u know how to ride on just go down to the registery place and take the test and if u dont have your learners take the test for that its like 20 dollars and then take the main test and whta phy said about experience they might just let u take the test.