PDA

View Full Version : Driving without hood and bumper cover legal?

CivicDXR
06-22-2005, 09:24 AM
I have to move a front end damaged vehicle to the body shop for repairs. I was wondering if I bolted on the new headlight assemblies, would it be legal to drive without the plastic bumper and hood to the body shop? I've seen cars without hoods on the road before, but I'm not sure if its legal. The car runs perfect, so towing it would be a waste of time and money. If anyone knows the answer to these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

benyl
06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
sure, why not? Try it and let us know ;)

Team_Mclaren
06-22-2005, 09:31 AM
I am 99% sure that as long as you have a rebar up front, its legal to drive without the bumper (done it, saw the cops but never stopped) . Hood... I'm not sure.

EK 2.0
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Without the bumper cver the Police can give you a hard time Rich. But as long as the re-bar is there no tickets can come of it. (the ticket is VERY easily fought in court if it comes to that). As for the hood, you can drive without your hood its not that bad of an offense. Plus it's only to the bodyshop, not like it is gonna be that way all summer...I lokked into the hood thing because I was curious about that as well.

GSR Zero
06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Do you have to drive it a long distance? Just drive the car over and drop it off at the body shop at night.

Seanith
06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Its probably a ticketable offence, but if you explained your situation if you even got pulled over, they would probably let it slide..

1-Bar
06-22-2005, 03:48 PM
bumper cover, yes you can drive w/o one. It doesn't serve much in terms of safety and crash protection. As for the hood...I say fuck it, explain the situation if necessary.

Kaos
06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
You should drive without a hood on or a bumper cover.
Think of how cool your engine will be right after.
I've driven without my hood on before and I've seen a couple cop cars, they didnt hassle me.

GoChris
06-22-2005, 04:16 PM
the bumper cover is just that a cover, its not needed. i have also driven for a day without a hood, didnt get any hassle

futurecivic
06-22-2005, 04:45 PM
you can drive without a hood aswell as a bumper cover just make sure you have a rebar

braden883314
06-22-2005, 05:43 PM
I drove around without a bumper for like a week with no problems.

~Braden

Barlow
06-23-2005, 12:19 AM
i drove with out a bumper and a rebar, pass cops, stopped in front of cops at a set of lights that weren't working so they were playing red light green light, didnlt give me ne trouble, i also drove with out mirrors, which i know is illegal cause my car was vandelized (sp) and the cops told me it was illegal, but also told me if i explained my situation that the cop should look the other way, but yes cops aren';t as much of asses as most of us think

most of them are understanding

2002civic
06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Barlow
i drove with out a bumper and a rebar, pass cops, stopped in front of cops at a set of lights that weren't working so they were playing red light green light, didnlt give me ne trouble, i also drove with out mirrors, which i know is illegal cause my car was vandelized (sp) and the cops told me it was illegal, but also told me if i explained my situation that the cop should look the other way, but yes cops aren';t as much of asses as most of us think

most of them are understanding
haha ya that was quite the look you had going for a cpl days lol dam kids vandalize a car for no reason:thumbsdow :guns:

Senseiz
05-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Hate to bump an old thread, but would you drive on the highway without a hood?
ie. 110km/h without the hood.

bubbley
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Tell the body shop you will move it late at night and drive it there late at night assuming you have all the lighting working. Drop the key off...thats what i would do

Tomaz
05-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
Tell the body shop you will move it late at night and drive it there late at night assuming you have all the lighting working. Drop the key off...thats what i would do

:facepalm: Not to rub it in, thread is a few years old...

Originally posted by Senseiz

Personally no. I have done it, but rather not. i kept on having the vision of something flying out and smacking my windshield. I dont see anything wrong in doing so. Why you asking?

I also wouldn't drive it in the rain without a hood. Too much electrical stuff that could get shorted.

bubbley
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Note to self: check thread date

Senseiz
05-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Personally no. I have done it, but rather not. i kept on having the vision of something flying out and smacking my windshield. I dont see anything wrong in doing so. Why you asking?

I also wouldn't drive it in the rain without a hood. Too much electrical stuff that could get shorted.

I want to get a new hood. It is cheaper to ship in within the US to the sweetgrass border crossing. Drive down there and pick it up. It is quite the problem when I dont have a truck, suv or van. I was thinking of just removing the hood at home, drive there, install it and drive back up. It is a lengthy drive though.

Of course I Would do this when the weather is bright and sunny.

chkolny541
05-26-2009, 04:54 PM

I want to get a new hood. It is cheaper to ship in within the US to the sweetgrass border crossing. Drive down there and pick it up. It is quite the problem when I dont have a truck, suv or van. I was thinking of just removing the hood at home, drive there, install it and drive back up. It is a lengthy drive though.

would u actually be crossing the border in this hoodless beast, or just walk up to the gate somehow?

if driving you may have some trouble explaining to the border crossing

SilverBoost
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

If you're talking about something in Carbon Fibre, don't assume it's going to fit without modification. And zipping on a CF hood and then hitting the highway first thing without knowing if it's fitted right - and without hood pins is a great way to smash out your windshield. Now you have roof damage, no windshield and no new hood and you're stuck in some town overnight and have to pay for a hotel AND a tow. Not a great plan.

Senseiz
05-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. That idea is out the window now.

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM

I don't see why not - I've driven my car without the entire body on it (Frame only), so I wouldn't have a problem with no hood :D

livinlarge89
05-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Lol I've had an SUV towed with only cosmetic (but extremely extensive) damage, no actual frame damage but I wasn't sure if it would fly with any police I might pass, I can't imagine driving a car without a body on it.

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by livinlarge89
Lol I've had an SUV towed with only cosmetic (but extremely extensive) damage, no actual frame damage but I wasn't sure if it would fly with any police I might pass, I can't imagine driving a car without a body on it.

safety .... I practice it regularly :nut:

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/side2.jpg

http://xs132.xs.to/xs132/08421/safe1729.jpg

You wouldn't feel comfortable flying down the highway doing 100 in that? Where's your manhood - mangly men don't need doors, or a hood, or trunk, or a body, or anything but a frame and an engine! ;)

B4tMan
05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Cold Air intake ?

2EFNFAST
05-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

Cold Air intake ?

get some pvc piping and make a direct ram air intake :D