PDA

View Full Version : open carwashes?

ACS-e36
06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
due to water restriction some car washes are closed :(
which ones are still open???

Chris Ng
06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
What makes you belive that you should be exempt from the water restrictions?

lastprodigy
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
ya you inconsiderate bastard, seen the front page of the sun today...... jk :D

btw, i heard car washer recycle water/dont use the same water so im wondering the same...if they dont, then obviously hold off

dymz999
06-22-2005, 07:34 PM
I was reading somewhere that we are not supposed to water the lawns or any kind of outside water that doesn't go into a drain or something like that.

If you wanna be smart just get a good bucket of water and do it inside your garage if you must!

AcuraTl
06-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by dymz999
I was reading somewhere that we are not supposed to water the lawns or any kind of outside water that doesn't go into a drain or something like that.

If you wanna be smart just get a good bucket of water and do it inside your garage if you must!

ugh... while your garage is closed?? your almost certainly going to get a zelous neighbour call in and your gonna get your ass busted...

dymz999
06-22-2005, 07:41 PM
the city said as of midnight tonight anything not using running water would be ok, which would include a bucket of water :)

I would doublecheck but it would work.

PGTze
06-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I'm sure you can hold off on washing your car for a few days :rolleyes:

dymz999
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Hello no, if your car gets stuck when it rains it will look like crap specially when there is a pretty new paint job. Heck i'm supposed to be doing photos this week for a magazine, no way in heck would i not wash it lol.

oddjob
06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
maybe he didn't shower for the past few days therefore making up for his car wash.

Mr. Burns
06-22-2005, 07:51 PM
You stupid fuck. think about someone other than yourself and let your car stay dirty for a while:banghead:

DJ Lazy
06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by mrburnsvw
You stupid fuck. think about someone other than yourself and let your car stay dirty for a while:banghead:

Take it easy... That shit is uncalled for... :rolleyes:

mac_82
06-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Take it easy... That shit is uncalled for... :rolleyes:

no washing your car during city wide water restrictions is uncalled for. :thumbsdow

88CRX
06-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by mac_82

no washing your car during city wide water restrictions is uncalled for. :thumbsdow

i got bird shit on my hood.... i washed it off quickly :dunno:

unfocus
06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
why dont u just do this take a towel wet it in water and wash it that way and yah after ur done with the bucket of water poor it on ur lawn.....

mac_82
06-22-2005, 08:11 PM
getting bird shit off your hood and taking your car to the car wash are 2 diff things in my opinion, one taking up much more water than the other. i find is stupid that i limit my shower time and take care to restrict my water usage to see it pissed away by someone else. hopefully the restrictions will be over this weekend.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 08:13 PM
think about it commercial uses up more than 60% of the water in calgary not residential.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 08:21 PM
goto safeway and buy a few 4 littre bottles of water, what are they goig to do to you then lol.

mac_82
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
well if he washes his car at home or at a car wash, residential or commericial, he is still using up that water. why cant people just stop using so much water for a couple of days and before you know it we will be back to normal.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 08:30 PM
It won't be back to normal in a couple days, with more rain epected tonight/tomorrow and then on sunday it will not allow the water to clear up, its like a slurry of mud and water that is the issue.

Xtrema
06-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Hold off if you could. Wash it if you can't. City isn't going to pay for my new paint job if the paint is ruin by bird shit or sap.

And if your job requires you to have a clean car, you have just as much right as the next business that require water to survive.

Car washes are unfairly singled out. Calm down people. I don't see laundromats having any voluntary close down. A wash cycle and a rinse cycle definitely use more water than a $2 wand wash.

Unless you show up work with smelly clothes, you have no rights to bitch other people on their water usage. So just chill.

Lack of planning on city's part doesn't mean emergency on my part. They should've increase capacity of filtering as city grows.

As for car wash that's still open, the one in Brentwood is still getting business.

ACS-e36
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
some coin washes are still open... just seeing which ones are
im just helping them stay in business :D

hampstor
06-22-2005, 08:44 PM
im following the line from meet the fockers... "if it's yellow let it mellow. if it's brown flush it down!" :D

seriously, i think the only time a car should be 'washed' is if it's absolutely necessary. Such as bird shit all over it. The hood/bumper on my car is covered in dead bugs from my trip to red deer on the weekend. i'm going to wait till the restriction is off and then try to take off all the bugs that have hardened to my car :cry:

PGTze
06-22-2005, 08:47 PM
think about it commercial uses up more than 60% of the water in calgary not residential.

think about it, a car wash is considered commercial

dymz999
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
No no, commercial as in industrial. a car was is small compared to most large industrial companies. That is who the city was going to cut off if it got worse and lets hope it doesnt.

koopkoop2
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Lack of planning on city's part doesn't mean emergency on my part. They should've increase capacity of filtering as city grows.

Don't comment, if you don't even know the reason for the restriction.

Xtrema
06-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
Don't comment, if you don't even know the reason for the restriction.

I know what the problem is. That just tell me that our water system is running at the limits with no slack to deal with emergency. This will just get worse as more people move here.

It also tells me that if any one of the watertreatment plant is out of commission for whatever reason, we are screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing my part in water conservation. But I just hate it when people start hatin' others for not doing the same when it's VOLUNTARY. And the people just slams the car washing business by default because it's the easiest prey.

I say we should shut down all Starbucks/Second Cup/Tim Horton in town because the water used in making coffee and flushing the toilet after it come out on the other end is wasting a lot more water.

The truth is, city wants people to cut back because if they start cutting off businesses, they're gonna have lawyers up their ass.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Actually maybe you need to listen prior to posting as well. The city announced a 130 million dollar expansion of the facilities in glenmore, bearspaw and some place else i'm not quite sure where. It is to meet the growing demand of the city in the future as the city grows. As it stands right now what the city has is just barely good enough. From what i was reading the city consumes 500 million litres of water and right now they only are pumping 450 million.

I'm still washing my car, i couldn't care what the city thinks personally. i've paid good money this week to get this entire photo shoot done and no way do i let this stand in the way. Besides they are right, why are commercial laundromats not closed as well? Those places use ancient machines which are by no means water efficient.

Xtrema
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
^ I know about the expansion as well. But much like the roads, it's a bit late. But unlike roads, water is and should be higher on the list. Just because it flows out of the tap, people assume everything is well and only bitch about the roads and the problem is ignored. By the time we done spending the $130M, we probably just caught up with growth and still not any better than before.

And much of these info are just being throw out now before people start asking the hard questions.

koopkoop2
06-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I know what the problem is. That just tell me that our water system is running at the limits with no slack to deal with emergency. This will just get worse as more people move here.

It also tells me that if any one of the watertreatment plant is out of commission for whatever reason, we are screwed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing my part in water conservation. But I just hate it when people start hatin' others for not doing the same when it's VOLUNTARY. And the people just slams the car washing business by default because it's the easiest prey.

I say we should shut down all Starbucks/Second Cup/Tim Horton in town because the water used in making coffee and flushing the toilet after it come out on the other end is wasting a lot more water.

The truth is, city wants people to cut back because if they start cutting off businesses, they're gonna have lawyers up their ass.

Blaming it on The City is the latest craze in band wagon mentality. Why would the city plan for an emergency that has such a low probability of occurring? If they did plan for it, then they would've faced the other spectrum of whiners which would've complained about the city wasting money on unnecessary filtration upgrades.
Six months ago, if you read that the city was going to upgrade the systems primarily for "emergency flooding purposes" you would've been pissed that the money wasn't going elsewhere. It's easy to look back and blame them, now that its happened, but no Calgarian could've expected such massive proportions of rain.

As for targeting car washes, it's the best "bang for you buck" when deciding who to shut down. It's a complete luxury and only has a minor impact on the businesses that own them since it's not a major source of revenue. Gas stations can continue to operate at almost full capacity, without their car wash. Starbucks and restaurants can't operate at all.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Seeing as i am a "former" city of calgary employee let me inform you on a few issues on our grand city hall. You know this entire labor dispute going on in the NHL and how owners are complaining that the players receive 55% of the gross revenue. They are claiming they can't make money.

Here is a good one for you. City employees make up 52% of all city of calgary expenses. So perhaps the city should get smart and stop paying people $25/hr to answer phones and do regular customer service jobs that get $10/hr elsewhere and pay for the necessary upgrades to our roads, lrt and overall infrastructure.

Fact is our city sucks when it comes to this stuff. Like c'mon the road down on macleod near the colliseum hasn't been paved yet and they peeled it just about a year ago, its pathetic. Fact is, the city dropped the ball by not have adequate water treatment facilities. We have grown by hundreds of thousands of people since the last increase.

Let me tell you this much, as a former city employee, i can tell you that roughly 80% of people working there are overpaid for what they do and what they can bring to the table, its just shocking!!!

So use all the water you want as far as i'm concerned. If the people in power did their jobs right and kept things running properly you wouldn't have crap like this occurring in such a large metropolis.

Something to consider.....

City workers for whatever reason on average make more then federal and provincial government employeess, a little out of whack dont ya think! When they have secreteries making 30 bucks an hour there are issues. money can be better spent elsehwere.

koopkoop2
06-22-2005, 09:46 PM

So use all the water you want as far as i'm concerned. If the people in power did their jobs right and kept things running properly you wouldn't have crap like this occurring in such a large metropolis.

Wow, selfishness incarnate. Please, imagine you were in power and tell me what you would've done to prevent this from happening?

dymz999
06-22-2005, 09:51 PM
maybe you didn't get the hint, if they did their job proper and had more than adequate water treatment for our population it wouldn't have happened and we'd be okay.

Maybe if they had someone explain why they have people answering phones making more than police officers and nurses it would be something. They need to cutback on employee expenses BIG. I mean all they do is raise taxes by millions upon millions yearly.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
And by the way, do you know where the majority of those tax increases go? the union gets 3% raises for employees years. If they raise taxes by 3% that means 52% of that 3% raise goes right to employee expenses, think about it. what a waste.

Xtrema
06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by koopkoop2
Blaming it on The City is the latest craze in band wagon mentality. Why would the city plan for an emergency that has such a low probability of occuring? If they did plan for it, then they would've faced the other spectrum of whiners which would've complained about the city wasting money on unnecessary filtration upgrades.

We only lost 15% of capacity and the city is in emergency mode. Does that sound normal and good planning to you? What if Bearspaw goes down due to bateria problem or something and lose 30% capacity?

As for targeting car washes, it's the best "bang for you buck" when deciding who to shut down. It's a complete luxury and only has a minor impact on the businesses that own them since it's not a major source of revenue. Gas stations can continue to operate at almost full capacity, without their car wash. Starbucks and restaurants can't operate at all.

Not all car washes are coupled with a gas station. And majority gas station's profit comes from car washes and snacks and not from gas. So you are telling me the owner of Starbucks or laundromat has more right to the water than the owner of a car wash? I also consider a venti Mocha a complete luxury and not necessary. So where are the people complaining about coffee shops.

The only difference is, as profit/L goes, Starbucks make way more than car washes. So govenrment get more taxes back, that's why they are targeted.

People only make their judgement base on optics.

PGTze
06-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Enough about the city fucking up, they are already in the middle of fixing it. Sometimes shit just happens cause mother nature is a bitch. I can't beleive people actually find not using much water for like a week is all that difficult.

ACS-e36
06-22-2005, 09:59 PM
OHHH KAY...
i could really care less bout the citys water problem. i really havent done much to reduce water usage cept watering my lawn. that way i can sit on my ass and keep the grass long w/o it drying out. i still take a shit and flush the toilet... whoever is not flushing to save water is retarded

ANYWAYS. back on topic...!

WHICH COIN CAR WASHES ARE STILL OPEN???
so i dont get fined washing on my driveway

2m0a0x2
06-22-2005, 10:00 PM
You know what I don't get? People don't see the other side of this whole story. You guys are saying that people washing their cars at coin washes are inconsiderate. Sure, if you look at it that way. If you look at it another way, the people that run the car washes have already lost 2 days of their income. What about them? I doubt the city is doing anything to help those whose survival depends on their business of car washes.

dymz999
06-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Even if they fine you getting out of the ticket would be easy. you could just complain the carwash was open so why can't i do it here.

wildrice
06-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
OHHH KAY...
i could really care less bout the citys water problem. i really havent done much to reduce water usage cept watering my lawn. that way i can sit on my ass and keep the grass long w/o it drying out. i still take a shit and flush the toilet... whoever is not flushing to save water is retarded

Yea, you'll care when the city can't produce enough clean water for you. You'll have to boil all ur water unless u wanna get sick.

Calgarians use almost 500 million litres of water a day. The city of calgary can only produce an average of 450 million litres of clean water. With the restriction the total usage had dropped down to 430 million litres. We're barely making it under.

ACS-e36
06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Even if they fine you getting out of the ticket would be easy. you could just complain the carwash was open so why can't i do it here.

it would save the hassle of fighting a ticket. i know if someone sees me washing my car on my block they wouldnt be happy. i cant even get away with my dog peeing on a fire hydrant w/o them bitching at me

so if we could get a list of open coin washes that would be great!

Xtrema
06-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by 2m0a0x2
You know what I don't get? People don't see the other side of this whole story. You guys are saying that people washing their cars at coin washes are inconsiderate. Sure, if you look at it that way. If you look at it another way, the people that run the car washes have already lost 2 days of their income. What about them? I doubt the city is doing anything to help those whose survival depends on their business of car washes.

Exactly! I think limo/cab drivers and cash washes are unfairly targeted.

BTW ACS-e36, Brentwood is still open if you're in the NW.

240droptop
06-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
OHHH KAY...

I say jsut wash your car yourself if you can't fine an answer form anyone soon they can't fine you its a volountary water restricition and even if they did fine you you could easyily get out of it by pointing out that some carwashs are still open so why can't you wash your car witha bucket which wates less water than the wand wash does.

On that note I could have sworn all car washs recyeld there water?

finboy
06-22-2005, 10:32 PM
i need a car wash BADLY, my block has an aphid infestation, my car feels like its been covered in superglue and its been parked outside for 3 days, i can't even see out of the windows :cry:

JCX
06-22-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by 2m0a0x2

Wow, what a dumb response. No business is owed the ability to make a living by the city. They chose to get into business, with that comes a risk that your business will fail.

If you guys had to start showering with a bucket and a sponge and had to shit in your back yard perhaps you'd agree not to wash your cars.

nismodrifter
06-23-2005, 12:05 AM
car washes should be open as of tomorrow morning, they relaxed some of the restrictions tonight.

You are also now allowed to water plants/newly planted stuff.

kenny
06-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Starting Thursday, under Stage 3 restrictions, the following
outdoor practices are allowed using treated water:
- Watering of gardens and shrubs (not lawns) with a handheld
container such as a watering can or bucket
- Watering of new plantings including trees, flowers and sod
(planted within the last 21 days and seeded with the last 45
days)

The following outdoor activities are still NOT allowed:
- Do not water lawns by any method, except by using
rainwater
- Do not use water to wash down sidewalks, walkways,
driveways and building surface.
- Do not use water in fountains, decorative or recreational
features

CalgarySupra
06-23-2005, 12:23 AM
but when you think of how much water you use to wash your car, is nothing compared to long showers people take . i heard of 30 minute showers, that could wash 10 cars probably.

if you really need to wash your car, just get a big continainer and let rain get into it, then use it to wash your car. no one can say anything.

thats answer finishes everything off.

dymz999
06-23-2005, 12:47 AM
You know the big thing here though, people pay to have access to the water in the city, where the hell is that money going when you literally pay for it. Something is seriously out of whack when you pay for a product and then they can tell you what you can and can't do!

kenny
06-23-2005, 01:14 AM
You know the big thing here though, people pay to have access to the water in the city, where the hell is that money going when you literally pay for it. Something is seriously out of whack when you pay for a product and then they can tell you what you can and can't do!

Let me guess, you'll be the first to complain when the water coming out of your tap isn't perfectly clean either right? They are telling people that they can't supply clean water due to an emergency situation. Voluntarily cut back or they will have to cut back water to ensure its clean.

Nothing is out of whack because normally there is more than enough supply of water, it was reported as a once in 100 and even a once in 200 year event so obviously they wont plan to have an over supply of water because of the extremely small but very vocal minority that bitch that they pay for it.

DJ Lazy
06-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by finboy
i need a car wash BADLY, my block has an aphid infestation, my car feels like its been covered in superglue and its been parked outside for 3 days, i can't even see out of the windows :cry:

Who cares.... you drive a shitbox........... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

j/k Adam........

EDIT: Save the water.... Drink Beer!! :D :D (then again I just got home from the pub... :thumbsup: )

googe
06-23-2005, 01:39 AM
k, a lot of dumb replies in this thread. even if it is the citys fault for bad planning, disregarding the restrictions as a protest is going to hurt you, not them. whether they screwed up or not, its YOU that wont have anything to drink or clean water for a shower.

whats with all the whining about "well if ___ can use water why cant i?"

we have people that suffered huge losses and had their property destroyed and youre bitching because you cant wash your precious car for a few days :rolleyes:

suck it up and be a little less selfish for a few minutes while shit gets sorted out :)

dymz999
06-23-2005, 02:35 AM
I wouldn't complain about water supply I only complain about how bad it is, the fact the city is so not planned for it. Like I said they need to cut employee expenses. I do not know many companies that pay their employees 52% of their revenues and stay in business long. It makes me wonder where my $3300 a year in property tax goes.

even if a bylaw officer did give you a ticket, i'd bet the newbies would fill them out incorrectly, they've been on the job what like 2 days :)

oddjob
06-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Friend told me the horton road car and rv wash is open, its right off macleod

/////AMG
06-23-2005, 07:48 AM
go take a road trip and wash your car in another city.

AcuraTl
06-23-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
go take a road trip and wash your car in another city.

:werd:

2002civic
06-23-2005, 12:51 PM
better wash my car here in leth before i come back home being the good citizen that i am:angel:

QuasarCav
06-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by oddjob
Friend told me the horton road car and rv wash is open, its right off macleod

Yup, washed my car there last night.

The 2 min wash was made possible by me having a 5 min shower instead of 7.