PDA

View Full Version : City Street sanding

GingeRRRBeef
01-21-2003, 12:45 AM
What do you guys think about the new sand/salt mixture that they use for the city street?

I think it's better than gravel because you don't get chips from it but on the other hand, the new mixture doesn't stay on the road very good.

DieselBoy03
01-21-2003, 01:03 AM
I hear that salt eats away at your paint! Is that true?

rage2
01-21-2003, 01:05 AM
All I know is, driving tonight I was rocketed with this new mixture... not sure if there's any damage though, but it sure didn't sound healthy!

GTS Jeff
01-21-2003, 01:05 AM
salt = oxidation of steel

DieselBoy03
01-21-2003, 01:16 AM
ic ic, makes sense I guess :clap:

ecstasy_civic
01-21-2003, 01:17 AM
i know i was so far behind other cars because it sounded like my bumper was getting shot at!:thumbsdow

KoukiS14
01-21-2003, 06:46 AM
I hadn't noticed that they were using sand now. Its about time.

Gravel keeps the glass companies in business tho......

4wheeldrift
01-21-2003, 07:46 AM
They've gone back to using salt? They've been using de-icing chemicals for the last couple of years.

eludeu
01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
I think they are still using gravel quite a bit more than sand. All I have seen is sand so far this year.

92 Teg-B18A
01-21-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by rage2
All I know is, driving tonight I was rocketed with this new mixture... not sure if there's any damage though, but it sure didn't sound healthy!
:werd:
it sounded pretty bad to me:(

kenny
01-22-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
They've gone back to using salt? They've been using de-icing chemicals for the last couple of years.

I've noticed they spray this pink stuff mixed with gravel/sand. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure its not salt... You can tell where they spray this stuff cuz it would be below freezing (like 10 below, and the roads are all still watery/wet)

RiceCake
01-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Actually I usually see the chemical trucks go out late at night? Remember Dover Denny's last winter Kenny?

rx7_turbo2
01-22-2003, 01:17 AM
They've been using de-icing chemicals for the last couple of years.

Ya salt. The city uses a massive amount of salt, some have argued they use so much it saturates the pavement making ice conditions even worse. Believe me I was corrected by someone "in the know" when I suggested the city had stopped using salt.

DieselBoy03
01-22-2003, 02:03 AM
I really don't care what they use as long as the rock chip stop happening. I mean this spring i put a kit on my car, and by the time summer was over it looked awful from all the rocks still on streets from the past winter!!!! I just hope they find a better solution, I:dunno:

4wheeldrift
01-22-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Ya salt. The city uses a massive amount of salt, some have argued they use so much it saturates the pavement making ice conditions even worse. Believe me I was corrected by someone "in the know" when I suggested the city had stopped using salt. I don't see how having it saturate the pavement could make ice conditions worse. It certainly wouldn't do dick to make them better if its below the ice but it shouldn't make it worse. It would be hell on concrete structures though.

rx7_turbo2
01-22-2003, 01:54 PM
I don't see how having it saturate the pavement could make ice conditions worse. It certainly wouldn't do dick to make them better if its below the ice but it shouldn't make it worse. It would be hell on concrete structures though.

You obviously don't understand the properties of salt. A brine solution flows under the ice of an arena and it seems to freeze water pretty good doesnt it? I could not go into enough technical detail to explain it compitantly, I will try and find someone who can.

In addittion, there are so many people complaining about rock chips and alike, on their body kits and such. Why not buy a beater car for the winter. The body kit probably cost you a couple grand, plus a paint job, so whats $300 on a shitbox? It's Calgary, if you drive your nice car in the winter your asking for trouble, plain and simple. As far as I'm concerned the city can throw down as much gravel as they want, the more the better, I will have a smile from ear to ear as it pelts off the Tremclad paint I rolled on my truck. Then when they bring out the street sweepers I will bring my car out again.

Taloness
01-22-2003, 03:23 PM
I agree, however not everybody can afford to have two vehicles. In fact, the insurance on two vehicles for a driver under 25 is almost a joke. Especailly if one of the cars is rated as a sports car. I can see both sides, however, for those of us who still drive a fairly decent car in the winter and want to protect it, I suggest regual car washes. I find that they saved my Talon for a lot of winters. Oh, and the trick I was told for keeping your weather stripping from freezing is with er Vasoline (let's all be adults now...), or talc. I prefer the 2nd myself as it is easier to brush off closthing, but may eed to be doen more often.

My $0.02.

missblondie
01-22-2003, 05:00 PM
Everyone prepare for rust now.. why do you think no one likes to buy a car from out east.

rx7_turbo2
01-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Taloness
I agree, however not everybody can afford to have two vehicles. In fact, the insurance on two vehicles for a driver under 25 is almost a joke. Especailly if one of the cars is rated as a sports car. I can see both sides, however, for those of us who still drive a fairly decent car in the winter and want to protect it, I suggest regual car washes. I find that they saved my Talon for a lot of winters. Oh, and the trick I was told for keeping your weather stripping from freezing is with er Vasoline (let's all be adults now...), or talc. I prefer the 2nd myself as it is easier to brush off closthing, but may eed to be doen more often.

My $0.02.

I'm not sure I agree. Most insurance company's give a rebate for having 2 or more vehicles insured. Plus the insurace premiums on a shitbox for 6 months are alot lower than keeping a sports car fully insured for the same 6 months. I had a look at what it's costing me and I am actually saving money, I keep Fire Theft and vandalism on the sports car, and I'm 23. I think all in all it's costing me $1200 for the year. I do however share the sentiments about regularly washing the salt and grime off.

rage2
01-22-2003, 06:57 PM
After getting rocketed a few days ago with this new sand crap, I'm happy to report that that's no new stone chips. Just washed my car today and inspected.

Mr. Grinch
01-22-2003, 09:12 PM
I don't know what "new" mixture everyone is talking about. If you know the specifics, let me know. Here is what the city web page has to say:

See snow and ice control link (http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/search/searchres.asp?UserID=2&SearchText=salt)

So they have different methods of deploying salt, and they vary with conditions:

- salt (Calcium Chloride) in solid form. Calcium chloride with H2O has a much lower melting point than "table" salt, sodium chloride.

- salt (CaCl) mixed with sand or coated on sand

- salt (CaCl) in liquid form sprayed on roads. Probably has dye added just for identification purposes when handling / mixing.

Having a "beater" car helps but doesn't solve the problem. I think the quality control of the sand is suspect. I've seen nails and metal etc in freshly sanded areas which makes me wonder where the sand comes from. Also some of the gravel is too big, and every spring you get another crack in the window it seems. Even for a beater car, it's going to cost around $200 for another windscreen if the damage is bad enough.

I did get 3M scotchcal protection on the bmw, from 3M / Trimline, and recommend it to anyone else trying to save the paint on their car, because even in spring / summer there is a lot of road debris. Also handy if you track your car too.

kenny
01-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Another useful tidbit quoted off City of Calgary webpage:

Salt is used when the temperature is -5 degrees C with a good forecast and temperatures are rising.

When the temperature is 0 degrees C and dropping below -5 degrees C use calcium chloride treated sand and salt are used on high-speed roadways and 9.5-mm sanding chips on all other roadways.

When the bridge decks are wet or slushy with a temperature of +1 degree C and falling, they are checked regularly and appropriate action is taken to eliminate slippery conditions.

Originally posted by acuraxx
Everyone prepare for rust now.. why do you think no one likes to buy a car from out east.

Nothing has changed, the city has always used salt. They temporarily stopped using salt a few years ago when a city owned parkade was falling apart due to the salt but since it was renovated, the city resumed the use of salt.

Not sure how long the halt was... maybe someone can find info on their website :)