PDA

View Full Version : Raid Set up

Milk2%
06-24-2005, 06:03 PM
nvidia raid or go with silicon, i'm on silicon right now, but not sure how both perform?
Thanks

ShadowDragonx
06-25-2005, 11:46 AM
pretty much the same
if u use the nvidia raid, i think it dosen't have to go through the southbridge, or something

i can't remeber... u can find info on it with anandtech or toms hardware

Xtrema
06-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Nvidia if you're doing RAID 0 or 1

But depends on model, Silicon is the one with RAID5. So you don't have any choices but go there if that's what you want.

Charon
06-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Im using NVidia with RAID 0. I did some research on it before using it. I cannot remember why I picked NVidia over silicon but im sure it was justified at the time. But be carful with any raid 0 that you get the stripe size just right. With my nvidia setup using 16k stripe over 128 or 64 meant a differenace of 30Mb per second and more in benchmarks. A difference you notice in normal opperation of the computer. If you want to know which is TRULY better. You have to setup RAID on each controller and run a benchmark on each one with all the different stripe sizes. And you will know which is best for YOU. Or you can try and find someone else with the same setup that has done it before.

http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

I used that for benchmarking my hd's and check out the forums lots of information in there.