PDA

View Full Version : Gas consumption on long road trip with oversized rims

TomTom
06-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I was thinking of driving to Ontario insted of flying this summer, now theres 19s on the integra now when the stock are 15 i belive, how much of a difference is this going to make on my fuel bill being so much bigger compaired to stock? or is it better on gas for long trips cause the wheels dont have to turn as much or is it just bad in stop and go city driving?

TomTom
06-27-2005, 06:41 PM
i thought we had some smart tech guys on here, guess no?

^SkylinE^
06-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Gas milage will decrease with bigger heavier rims. IF you wanna save some cash then throw on your steelies. You will also be saving your rubber at the same time especially if you have bad camber!

Or keep them on to keep your :bigpimp: status!

240droptop
06-27-2005, 07:59 PM
yeah slap your stock rims back on don't wanna wear those 19's rubber away + it will be cheaper for gas

racin_jayson
06-27-2005, 08:30 PM
:werd:
Roll those 15's, chances are you have some sticky boots on those 19's and they are'nt cheap

Audio_Rookie
06-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I would have figured he 19's would get better mileage....its almost like throwing in an overdrive gear....you lower your rpm big time wich should be great for on the high-way...

it would suck for daily because there so heavy...but once you got the momentum your average rpm will be lower and saving you gas.....however those tires probobly are not cheap and I would assume the bill would come out to pretty close either way due to tread ware on them expensive 19's.

TomTom
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
i belive the cambers fine, the rubber was good for over a year till the allignment was knocked off, now its got brand new proxie 4's, p.s. there is no 15's or steelie/stock rims anymore the cars only summer ride and thats it for rims

hondafetish
06-27-2005, 10:53 PM
So ride with what you've got.. how much of a difference is it really gonna make? Maybe an extra buck or two at the pumps?

Arthur Dent
06-28-2005, 09:57 AM
yeah the over all gearing should change with the bigger wheels causing lower rpms at highway speeds. you should get slightly better mileage. I don't think wheel weight would cause a huge difference at partial throttle, highway driving.

hjr
06-28-2005, 12:04 PM
bigger wheels, but smaller tires, usually the overall diameter of the package changes very little (if done right) therefor not effecting the gearing to any large degree. now the weight of the wheels will effect consumption, but again, not to a large degree. the question is do you want to use up some of your good rubber cruising through saskatchewan and manitoba? (i wouldnt)

06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
use the steelies as they will be better and hellova lot lighter! there is a loss in horsepower with heavy ass 19 inch wheels.

glennc
06-30-2005, 02:49 AM
With bigger rims the main issue going on is weight, and the change in the "gearing" you could say by putting a bigger tire, less acceleration.

BUT! most of the affects of larger, mostly heavier rims are in the acceleration, your going to ontario, youll be cruising most of the time. Yes, you will use rubber down faster, but not like youll get there and your tires will fall off. Once you get up to highway speeds the bigger rims will make about as much difference in gas consumption as if you have 3 people in the car. Whoppee?

AllGoNoShow
06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
My personal recommendation is this... you don't use as much gas as I would driving that far so no comaplining :)

My logical answer is... I doubt the gas prices are going to hurt you and if your alignment is correct then your rubber shouldn't wear down fast unless its cheap. But being as I am sittign in Winnipeg rigth now and drove here last night from Calgary, if you ahve 35 or 40 series rubbers on those 19s the highways are SHIT half the trip and you will come home with damaged rims, don't risk it.