PDA

View Full Version : U of S Accomadations??

2.2vtec
06-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Can anyone help a buddy of mine find a place to live in saskatoon? They don't know where to look or who to talk to. They will be attending the university so hopefully somewhere by the uni will good. Anyone who can help out just let me know.

Much appreciated!

nismodrifter
06-25-2005, 02:19 AM
best is to get an apartment IMO,
DO NOT MOVE INTO THE WEST SIDE OF TOWN, the town is divided by the river...west side is on one side (same side as downtown is) and east side is on the other side, its like 2 different worlds. West side = quite ghetto, you will see signs for apartments that say "Alcohol and Drug Free!!"...ummm wtf.

Personally when we went to find me an apartment we looked around areas that were close to 8th street.
8th street is basically the main road which has all the services/stores on it, try and find a place close to that road so all your stores and everything are close by. Every store you can imagine is on there so its very easy whenever you need something quickly.
Does your friend have a car that hes taking to school or planning on using the bus?

The day we went as a family to find me a place I was kind of freaked since we had no idea of where anything was in the town. Best advice for your friend is to pickup a newspaper/condo papers/other home papers from 7-11 early in the morning and just start calling around like crazy. We got lucky and were able to find me a place by the end of the day....the last room in the building, I back onto the river, nice view, secure building, no noise at all (I've never heard so much as a car go by thats how quiet it is), underground parking and best of all...a 5 min bus ride from the university.

Tell him to just be careful of where he looks since some of the buildings are quite ghetto and I am not sure exactly how they are run, try and find something that is at least run by a decent organization (Realstar or Boardwalk). You can basically tell the ghettoness of the building from right outside, if it looks ghetto at all...it probably is.

If you need any more info or ideas just post here and I'll gladly help you out.

2.2vtec
06-25-2005, 01:57 PM
My friend wont' have car..I know they would like to have a few places lined up to view before they go down. Do you have a contact number from where you live or possiably have friends who live there who can pass down a few numbers to a few good buildings?

nismodrifter
06-30-2005, 02:42 AM
sorry I forgot about this thread...hope the reply isn't too late

I don't know many people there, mostly friends with people from Calgary only but your friend shouldn't have much trouble finding a decent place if they just drive around. Basically just drive around town and keep your eye open, see a decent building? stop, get the number and call it.

Check out the free condo papers etc as they have apartment listings as well in them :)

Again, let me know if you need any help

N'Syncro
07-01-2005, 12:06 AM
Is there any way your friend can vist here before he moves in? All it will take is a walk thru the tunnel @ school (where all the FS ads are posted) and he'll probably find a ton of houses and apartments in the university area. Come on a friday, call the #'s immediately, and I'm sure by the time you leave on sunday you'll have visited most of those you called.

Most places are empty right now b/c alot of students don't originally come from s'toon. Most landlords should be very happy to secure a new tenant for the upcomming year.

nismodrifter
07-01-2005, 12:28 AM
n syncro: I'm pretty sure thats what his friend is doing, finding a place now and then moving in at a later date....at least thats what I did.

I checked out the places advertised in the tunnel, called pretty much every number advertised....most of them basically didn't care enough to set a time that day or the next day for me to take a look, was very frustrating. But tell him to give it a shot anyways, maybe he'll get lucky and find a decent place from those ads.