PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint

SiG Baby
06-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Hey everyone, I want to touch-up paint my car. I have never done this before, and I would like to know if there are any tricks to it, or need to know info anyone would like to share. I have a bottle of paint A1 mixed me around a year ago, is it still okay to use or should I get more? Also does it effect anything if I just waxed my car 1.5 weeks ago?

Thanks for the help in advance:)

izzoblitzo
07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
I've learned... when fixing a hairline scratch, apply with a toothpic! I applied with the brush that came with the paint, and it looks like poo.

black_2.5RS
07-18-2005, 11:05 PM
I'd say get it done professionally. I tried doing it on my old Corsica and it looks like ass.

If it's just a touch here and there, it shouldn't cost too much. I'd consider calling around and get some quotes. Then figure out if it's worth your time.

Just my $0.02.

lastprodigy
07-18-2005, 11:22 PM
^^ ugh totally wrong, seeing as though youd have to repaint the whole panel anyways its pointless to do that....if there are just a few chips......give it a shot, itll porlly look better than it did

calgarygts
07-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Wash the car off really well. Then use denatured alcohol and cotton swabs (you can get mineral spirits from crappy tire) to clean the chips. Using some 1500-2000 grit sandpaper carefully scrape the chip out to roughen it up, then using a toothpick, dip it into the paint and touch the chip. The paint will move from the toothpick into the chip. Don't leave a big blob of paint but do thin layers. You'll have to do a few layers this way, letting them dry for around 2-3 hours between coats. Stop once the paint is higher in the chip than on the rest of the car once it's dry. From there use some 2000 grit wet paper to wetsand the chip down to level. I use one of those white erasers as my sanding block for that part. Once it's all level use scratchX and an applicator to get the marring out from the sanding. Then polish/wax and voila! I've been doing a small section at a time on my car and it's working out pretty good - not perfect but looks much better than before. Just be careful when sanding, you don't want to take too much off the clear. You could even tape off surrounding areas so as to minimize the sanding. Hope this helps.
I have no idea about the paint being good still, I would think it would be but I don't know squat about paint.

SiG Baby
07-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Wow, "calgarygts" thankyou so much. This is exactly what I needed to know. I still haven't done it so I'm very glad to read your post. I think I will just get new paint mixed from honda or A1 or something instead of worrying about it's expiry. I have lots of little chips on my front bumper cause I've been doing alot of hihway driving lately. This is probably gonna take me an entire day....but should be good.

Thankx

:)

calgarygts
07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
No problem, I was and still am in the same boat as you. I have a LOT of chips in my hood/bumper still. To make it look ok you have to really take your time and do it right. And expect this to take forever, I spent quite a long time on one little section as a first try and it didn't come out perfect and took forever. Just a warning - good idea to take a whole day to do this. Post pictures when you're done!

wally719
11-16-2005, 09:57 PM
you should try this stuff called final touch. i was thinking about repainting my black 94 civic but i couldnt afford it so i tried a bunch of different touch up stuff and the only one i liked was that stuff. it was actually really easy and pretty cheap for what i got. it worked really well on all the small chips. i had to use the brush they supplied to touch up the rest but it still looked a lot better than any of the other stuff i tried. you should check them out www.touchup123.com

ninspeed
11-16-2005, 10:00 PM
paint will be good for 36 months with no hardners in it (in that case, it will harden the whole bottle in a few hours)