PDA

View Full Version : Electric Shavers

Nav13
06-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I am not sure if this is a health and fitness topic, but my search of previous shaving topics has shown them to be in the general section, but if this is in the wrong section mods please move it.

Okay down to business. I am going on vacation for 6 weeks and I hate shaving, I hate shaving on trips even more, so I bought a philishave electric shaver (HQ6707). Now my brother said right off the bat that I am an idiot for getting it because it wont shave as close, which I knew it wouldnt, however it shaved really damn close and I am really satisfied with it. The only problem is there are a select few hairs that it wont shave so I just go over them with a mach 3. Then he said thats even worse and that I am gonna get spots for mixing an electric shaver with a conventional blade. So I am wondering if there are people on this board with similar experience and if they have noticed any spots and just in general is it bad to mix the two. I am probably just gonna use it for this trip comming up and most likely switch back to the mach 3 when I get back, and would just use the electric when ever I am to lazy to shave with the mach3. So yea is it bad to mix the two?

5hift
06-25-2005, 05:08 PM
I used to have one of those expensive Braun's and I think its the same with all of them. What your brother is talking about is, if you shave regularily, and are used to blades, taking the jump to electric will result in about a month of your face getting used to it (pretty much the skin not looking so great and drying out a bit due to the different blades). This is also dependant on how thick your facial hair is (the thicker the hair the bigger the reaction). If your going on vacation, I wouldnt suggest switching as everyone reacts differently and I wouldnt want to take a chance of a skin break out issue while on vacation somewhere.

Bottom line is shaving with a electric is already a lot tougher on your skin than regular blades. Doing an electric as well as a touch up with a Mach 3 will irritate the fuck out of your skin if done constantly.

So it pretty much depends on how lazy you are: A Mach 3 Shave will be smoother, probably keep stubble away for a bit longer, and is better for your skin. If thats not worth the extra 5 minutes of your time then just stick with electric.

IMO though, everyone I've seen who's purchased a electric has eventually gone back to the blades. Depending on where you got your phillishave, I would just try to return it saying it doesnt work properly or something.

Nav13
06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
^^^ aw fuck, k thanks for the info greatly appreciated, I am justing gonna wait for a few more opinions before I go ahead and return this thing. Just wondering though, I bought it from futureshop, do stores usualy take these things back, or do I have to say something is wrong with it in order to return it?

Benny
06-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I can't see a store doing a return on a used electric shaver unless something is wrong with it.

BokCh0y
06-25-2005, 05:53 PM
yeah about 2 years ago i got LAZY and switched from a conventional balde to one of those expensive braun shavers. It did shave pretty close but i still didn't find it as close as the mach 3.

Also for me, my skin is really sensitive but oily as well. So if I use the electric shaver without washing my face first i noticed that it actually spread the oils on my face around so i ended up breaking out. Could be cuz i changed from conventional balde to electric but :dunno: . All i do know though is i ended up breaking out and having way more ingrown hairs which turned into fukin huge pimples instead. Since then I've gona back to using a conventional blade and i haven't had any problems ever since. Skin is back to normal and break-outs are gone!?!

I'm honestly not a fan of electric shavers.....

But this is just my 2 cents.

DannyO
06-25-2005, 06:08 PM
I use both, electric most the time, but every other day, or whenever I need to not look homeless, I use my mach3.

Nav13
06-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by DannyO
I use both, electric most the time, but every other day, or whenever I need to not look homeless, I use my mach3.

See this is what I was hoping to do also, just have the electric for most everyday use save some time and when need be use the mach 3 for special occasions or whatever, but my brother got me all worried saying switching back and forth isnt good. Ive only used it once today and well I must say I am not feeling to much irratation, I am just worried about the long term conscequences. But seeing from most peoples replies it seems everyone who goese electric either goes back to blades or atleast uses them from time to time, I guess i could spend the money in better places, looks like it going back. But please keep the comments coming and thanks to those who replied.

ryder_23
06-25-2005, 06:57 PM
I use both as well, depnding on how much time i have, or amount sof shaving cream . I went from mach 3 to electric straight when i got it, and i broke out like hell and had a boat load of in grown hairs. I went back to mach 3 and sometimes electric, and have been fine.

Nav13
06-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Well I returned it today, I am just gonna stick with the mach 3, but for those who care, I must say it cut very close, closer then I expected, however the fact that it missed spots really ruined. I might give electrics another shot later down the road when I am realy strapped for time, right now I am just lazy.

BokCh0y
06-27-2005, 09:05 PM
mach 3 all the way pal:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dragonone
06-27-2005, 09:18 PM
anyone tried the mach3 power yet?
it just seems so weird to me, i'd buy electric if i wanted it to move rite?

Tyler883
06-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I use an electric razor mostly because its always there and I never run out of blades.

Its true that it took me about 3-4 weeks for my skin to adjust to the electric razor. I think the manul actually warned me about this.

It's also true that it misses some of the hairs, and it doesn't shave as close. I don't like a close shave anyway because I get problems with ingrowing hairs whenever I get a close shave.

For special ocasions, I don't bother with a mach3, when I need a closer shave I just use the electric more carefully. the extra passes don't bother my skin anymore.

theken
06-27-2005, 11:38 PM
i just never shave, i bust out the sideburn trimmer and see how close i can get it with that and that is about it, my hair is blonde so it is not a big deal u can only see the hair that is like an inch long

ca2p3r
06-27-2005, 11:45 PM
anyone tried the cruzer3 electric shaver, trims aswell? mach3 electric sucks...same with the color of the blades being green is worth 10$ more